Argo - Portable XBox?

I'm guessing screen size of at least 3-4 inches. There are digicams now with 3-inch screens.

With video, you need a lot of storage -- over 10 gigs.

Flash is better for battery life but is expensive when you get into the tens of gigs.

If they were to put 20 GB flash for $300, that would be a category killer.

wco81 said:
I'm guessing screen size of at least 3-4 inches. There are digicams now with 3-inch screens.

With video, you need a lot of storage -- over 10 gigs.

Flash is better for battery life but is expensive when you get into the tens of gigs.

If they were to put 20 GB flash for $300, that would be a category killer.

Yeah i dont know what the pricing would be for these units:

http://ce.seekingalpha.com/article/7982

But they are ideal for portable media players. Without this tech, i wonder what the battery life would be though...

An HDD and flash card reader are what these devices want. Flash keeps dropping and dropping. £25 gets you 2 GB of CF nowadays. In a few years that'll be more and more. PSP was maybe a little premature. There wasn't a suitable, affordable flash storage for it, so they came up with UMD. But that's looking pretty backward now. An HDD and flash port (for affordable flash media ;)) with download content would be great. Still, how do you get gigabytes of affordable content onto a handheld? Is it acceptable to supply games on DVD for users to have to insert in their PC/PS3 and copy over to the portable? I think so.

edit : It appears Sony themselves aren't averse to trialling such an idea. One DVD, four films, only watchable on PSP.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=18294

Last edited by a moderator:
it seems Zune and Argo are the same thing, but, are not the portable game system that Microsoft is working on, which will not arrive until late 2007 at the soonest. the MS portable game system is meant to arrive roughly inbetween Xbox 360 and the NEXT Xbox console.

Megadrive1988 said:
it seems Zune and Argo are the same thing, but, are not the portable game system that Microsoft is working on, which will not arrive until late 2007 at the soonest. the MS portable game system is meant to arrive roughly inbetween Xbox 360 and the NEXT Xbox console.

From all the reports I've read it seems that later models of the Zune brand of media players will eventually have gaming functionality. Whether or not that translates to a portable Xbox at this time is unknown. Rumors have stated that the initial Zune device will come with 400MHz DSP for its CPU. Kinda vague I know, but if it's true, then isn't that a tad bit overkill for a simple iPod-like device?

Personally, I don't think there will be a portable Xbox as such, but it does make sense for the Zune line of devices to go that direction considering the initial support for the Live Anywhere initiative. It's definitely an interesting product for Microsoft and one that I'm excited about. Seems others are as well after seeing all the Zune websites sprout up all over the place.

Tommy McClain

I posted this another thread:

I think the unit will end up playing games but only the variety that one would find on the better cell phones or maybe next gen's cell phones. So the mobile version of Zuma you saw in the E3 presentation would be an example of something you would see on this device. The mobile games are really the only type that seem to fit in with the control scheme of the mock-ups we've seen.

I liked it, go figure. ;)

I think its this kind of marketing (the unimposing 'we're all in this together' vibe) that MS needs if theyre shooting for the iPod.

Who does the big scary guy represent in this ad? The RIAA, the iPod, a stranger? I think that the rabbit represents the content that will be 'shared'.

Toshiba is the company Microsoft has chosen to manufacture Zune. They make their own PMP, the gigabeat, which shares some features that are proposed for Microsoft's device. On the possibility that Zune uses the same system-on-chip as gigabeat, the i.MX31L, Microsoft would only need to spend about three dollars more on licensing to activate its MBX Lite core in order to give Zune 3D and gaming capabilities.

Back