Are you going Blu-ray?

Are animes available in BluRay ?
Is it worth the price difference ?

Not moved to BluRay, but I hardly moved to DVD anyway (and never been a VHS user anyway)...

It depends. For example, Bakemonogatari is stunning in bluray. So is Sword of a Stranger, the Ghost in the Shell episodes, Macross Frontier, Samurai 7, Evangelion 1.1 (IIRC)...etc so yeah it does make a difference. Now stuff like Naruto, Darker than Black, Bleach etc no they will not make any difference and 720p is more than enough for them. That is from personal experience.

I'd like a Blu-Ray player. I just watched American Psycho and Sweeney Todd on Blu-Ray at my friend's house and I really enjoyed it. It may be because American Psycho predates high definition, but the quality difference between a DVD and a Blu-Ray disc was marginal. However, Sweeney Todd looks amazing.

It really depends on how good the transfer is. Film has much more resolution than Blu-ray and DVD, so even old films can look amazing on Blu-ray if the studio people do their job properly. I have 2001 on Blu-ray and it looks fantastic despite having been made in 1968.

Recent films have it easier because all editing is done with computers so transfers should be perfect and ideally done at 4k to be future proof.

There are some cheap BD-ROM and BD-combo drives for PC. An ASUS BD-ROM is NT$2,800 here (~ US$85). BD-Combo (BD-ROM with DVD-R) is around NT$4,100 (~ US$125). BD-R are very expensive now.
Just bought the LG BH08LS20. BD-R works great. :smile:

Evidently my wife has gotten interested in HD movies when she saw a bargain bin full of HD-DVD discs at an outlet store for $2.50 a piece. After explaining to her about its death & how Bluray is now the standard, she got interested in a buying a cheap Bluray player instead. Floored me! LOL :) Personally I hadn't looked at Bluray players before & didn't realize how cheap they got. We're looking at players $150 or less. I was pleasantly surprised to see that BD Live 2.0 players are now below that price, but once you got to $100 or less, BD Live was missing. Haven't decided on a model yet. Though I did realize though that since we have a non-HDMI audio receiver we would need to get some kind of HDMI switch. That will add an additional $50 even from Monoprice. Almost convinced her to buy another receiver or Bluray Theater system, but she said the one we had was fine & that $50 for the switch was cheaper than buying another sound system. Oh well. Anybody have any suggestions on a cheap Bluray players($150 or less) with BD Live? Seen Sony, Toshiba, Insignia & Samsung at Best Buy & Vizio, Pioneer, Philips & Sony at Walmart. Not adverse to buying online like Amazon, but it would be nice to be able to take it back to the store if need be.

Or should I wait a little longer for something better down the road for the same price? LOL

Tommy McClain

P.S. TV is a cheap 32" 720p LCD from Sharp.

I can't fathom how anyone with good visual acuity and the money, who enjoys films, doesn't have a BD deck of some kind. The image quality (and audio quality, although I don't have the ability to exercise that because of where I live) far outweighs all other downsides to the format.

Very happy owner of a PS3 and the 360's HD DVD player here. My eyes are in love with the IQ.

I can't fathom how anyone with good visual acuity and the money, who enjoys films, doesn't have a BD deck of some kind. The image quality (and audio quality, although I don't have the ability to exercise that because of where I live) far outweighs all other downsides to the format.

Very happy owner of a PS3 and the 360's HD DVD player here. My eyes are in love with the IQ.

Agreed...people's minds work in different ways....

I am gradually replacing my DVDs with BDs. I have 127 so far (and 893 DVDs), so it's a work in progress!! But I love watching films and for me the increased immersion through better sound and imagery (either on the HDTV or via the projector) just blows SD viewing away. Gearing up for 3D now!

Back