Apple to be at E3 ... OS X for Cell workstations?

McFly

Veteran
First Ando was at the Macworld keynote together with Steve Jobs and now they are at E3? I hope this meens one thing: OS X for Cell workstations! (Hope never dies)

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0502briefly.html

Apple will be exhibiting at E3 this year, the Electronic Entertainment Expo. Apple has exhibited at the expo in the past, which developers typically use to show off their latest hardware and video games. Apple has had a presence at E3 in previous years, although curiously the company's presence this year is not listed on Apple's page of upcoming events.

Fredi

pipin.jpg

Oh please no!!! Pleeeease!!!
Not an OS that pretends to be a million times better than Windows, only because its crazy followers say so!!! It's an OS, a big one too, and i dont like bloatedness. :devilish: A very stripped down version could do, but really, who needs OSX on PS3??

london-boy said:
Not an OS that pretends to be a million times better than Windows, only because its crazy followers say so!!! It's an OS, a big one too, and i dont like bloatedness. :devilish: A very stripped down version could do, but really, who needs OSX on PS3??

I have a PC and a Powerbook. OSX isn't a billion times better than Windows, but Windows is definately not better than OSX. I do gaming on my PC and about everything else on OSX due to ease of use and the many features on the Mac that my PC doesn't do. Also I'm really really lazy, so a 12 inch notebook is easy to take to the couch 8)

london-boy said:

Wow, that was dumb.

What the hell does the PS3 have to do with Cell based workstations?

OSX does not pretend to be anything .. its just a damned good OS. And let's not pretend that MS is not bloated. Up until Win2000, I've always considered Windows a sick joke. I'm not an Apple fanatic, but the 500.00 dollar Mac Mini may just be the ticket for me to get back into the Apple fold.

I remember Sun used to harp on how Win2000 or XP was going to be so many more million lines of code than any software which had been implemented before.

Some were skeptical that a stripped down Win 2000 kernel would work on the Xbox because supposedly, some WinCE games on the Dreamcast didn't perform as well as the other API Sega offered, which supposedly didn't have any HAL.

It's an old article, but anyway:

http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2004/mft04111609.htm?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y

Gaming is the latest rumor to have attracted attention. Currently you can play Solitaire, Brick, Parachute, and Music Quiz, but the chance to download games to the iPod hasn't been considered -- until now. Rumors swept the market last week that Digital River, an e-commerce outsource provider, was negotiating to allow games to be brought to the media player. So powerful were the rumors that they sent Digital River's stock soaring 10% on the day, as it has been developing its technology to allow for the download of any content, games or otherwise, to any device.

It would certainly be a challenge to other game handhelds if Apple entered the fray. Rumors already abound that Digital River could cement a deal by February with leading game makers such as Electronic Arts or Activision to begin selling their games through online downloads. It is viewed as the next advance in having games reach increasingly greater numbers of people.

The types of games that would be available would initially be limited because of the size of the iPod's memory. But as memory size begins to expand -- it could rise to as large as 1 gigabyte if the flash iPod rumor proves true -- more complex or advanced games could certainly become part of the library.

Neither Apple nor Digital River has commented on the speculation, and some analysts question the veracity of the rumor, since Apple's iTunes has been at the forefront of the mill and the company has been able to handle the transactions for music itself thus far.

Still, Apple could soon be floating on a digital river of music, pictures, and games, positioning itself as a formidable threat and adding to its market dominance.

So maybe it has nothing to do with Cell. :( ;)

Fredi

They said Apple has been there in previous years. Some Sony fanatic somewhere linked Apple's presence to Cell because of previous rumors and ignored the fact that Apple is there every year.

london-boy said:
That was about as dumb a comment as you've made in quite some time.

Bad london-boy, no cookie!

McFly said:
First Ando was at the Macworld keynote together with Steve Jobs and now they are at E3? I hope this meens one thing: OS X for Cell workstations! (Hope never dies)

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0502briefly.html

Apple will be exhibiting at E3 this year, the Electronic Entertainment Expo. Apple has exhibited at the expo in the past, which developers typically use to show off their latest hardware and video games. Apple has had a presence at E3 in previous years, although curiously the company's presence this year is not listed on Apple's page of upcoming events.

Fredi

Apple is going to release their own G5 based console(with 9200 integrated graphics and 32MB ram) to compete with PCs and the new consoles!

Sonic said:
I don't like Macs for one simple reason, they come with only one mouse button.

The system supports more than one button, even scrollwheels are supported out of the box. I'm currently using a two button mouse on my PowerBook.

Fredi

Back