Any Winampers out there?

Guden Oden said:
LOL man, you're making FF as bloated, unstable and buggy as IE this way! :D How long does it take to start it up now after a cold-boot of your system?

its stable, no crashes at all (unless there is some IE only site, but that has nothing to do with extensions).

buggy?... nope.... when i notice that some extensions dont work together, i remove them, which means its working perfectlly

as for loading...i just started FF and IE at same time....my FF took 2-3 secs more to load... i can live with that, considering how much these extension acctually help...

TBH, i usually uninstall some extensions and try new ones.... i uninstalled 10-15 today and tried 5 more....
since i am doing web design/development i have lots of tools to help me with that...
i installed "Scrapbook" extension today and i simply love it....

gonna head to extensionmirror now....hunt some extension.... ;)

I use the Winamp Lite version...very nice...fast startup and to me it is not loss of functionality over the full version Winamp. The skin I am using resembles a Mac OS X application...the name of which escapes me at the moment. Simple...readable...and fast...the lite is definitely my fave version of Winamp.

Well thanks for the link. Only problem is that that is the exact same plugin I got previously...and it wouldnt play this one file I have that has the extension of .ogg. I dont think the file is corrupted because my brother is able to run it on his computer with divx or some other software...could it be cause I have Winamp Lite?! I mean it does show up in the Preferences -> Plugins...so I dont see why it is not running.

I still use winamp 2.x because 5.x is a fat bastard, I hate having to wait several seconds for the thing to launch. Now using version 2.95, after using 2.81 then 2.91 (never noticed a difference, but now it's kind of up to date :))

classic skin only, I'm not into skins, and I don't want the hassle of finding and installing a usable one.
At every launch I had a message telling me there was a security hole (in a damn music player!?) and that I should upgrade to 5.05 or whatever, but I didn't know if it was lying, so I turned off "check for new version". (I don't care anyway and I don't use the browser)

Every media file is associated to Media Player Classic, else I just right click a directory in an explorer window and do "Play in WinAmp" or "Enqueue in WinAmp".
I discovered some time ago the media library in Windows Media Player 9, I used it for some times (using Winamp too when I felt to), then it updated itself to WMP 10 which is crap. And this crap is integrated to Windows XP so there doesn't even seem to be a way to uninstall it!

I tried the library in winamp but I think it sucks.

The only pb I have with WinAmp, and it's irritating : files with blank title tags (a few MP3s I encoded long ago, and some MOD, xm, SPC files I downloaded). I hate when I see a lot of " - " in my playlist, no way to tell what they are..

There's the option "Read on (Load) (Display) (Play)" option but even then it sucks. With "Play" I can see file names but they become " - " when I play them, and I want to see the tags (it seems to display Artist - Title ) when they are available instead of crappy file names (that sometimes are as bad as "Track 8.mp3", or names like "04 Territory Sepultura Under a Pale Grey Sky Disc 1.wma")

any help is welcome ;)

You must be kidding about names in the playlist...
Default setting show filename if no tag is available !

About speed and memory footprint, it's just fine.

<auto censored stuff about MS lameness and MP>
In europe however windows MUST be sold w/o MP. (for once europe is worth something.)

I use WA for audio because AVS rules and MS MP10 for video files because video playback in winamp suxors. Very fiddly interface for video files... :( Unfortunately neither WA nor MP10 support scroll wheel timeseek in video files, that totally rules and I use it all the time when watching DVDs (with PowerDVD - yet ANOTHER goddamn player!!! *sigh*)

Ingenu said:
You must be kidding about names in the playlist...
Default setting show filename if no tag is available !

not in 2.xx it seems. I don't know how to get this behaviour.

I don't care about CPU and memory usage, but I do care about startup time and I find it unacceptable in 5.x even in "classic mode".

Back