Analysis: Q3 2007 GPU shipments reach record highs

B3D News

Beyond3D News
Regular
After Q2 2007 being stronger than historical seasonality, few were expecting Q3 to be up sequentially by more than single-digits. Well, it looks like the skeptics were wrong, as the GPU market is up no less than 20.2% overall, according to JPR. This represents a larger jump than even the 18.6% one experienced in Q3 2002, and that year didn't have to account for a remarkably strong Q2 either!

Read the full news item

What historical seasonality? I'd be interested in knowing if people have done any analysis on the effects of pc games related sales in the context of console generation transitions. I doubt there is a lot of data, but I do think there's bound to be a relation ...

Ah, I obviously meant quarterly variations - Q2 tends to be down compared to Q1, this has been the case in the GPU industry (and PC industry in general really) pretty much systematically for many, many years. Q3 and Q4 tend to be up, and Q1 very slightly down or flat compared to Q4.

What I found very interesting in these numbers is there's basically no evidence here that ATI picked up any desktop market share after HD 2600/2400 shipped. Picked up significant *unit* sales on the desktop, as did everyone, but no increase in market share.

I'd love to see the DX10 numbers tho for 3Q.

NVIDIA's results for the period (although with a slight offset; NVIDIA's financial quarters are not calendar-based) will come out on November 8th.

Lets hope it's good news. Nvidia stock is killing my portfolio!

What I found very interesting in these numbers is there's basically no evidence here that ATI picked up any desktop market share after HD 2600/2400 shipped. Picked up significant *unit* sales on the desktop, as did everyone, but no increase in market share.

I'd love to see the DX10 numbers tho for 3Q.

I have seen some superficial Mercury numbers from a Goldman report that diverges considerably with the JPR numbers. I think a 4% increase in notebook share and 3% decrase in desktop share for Nvidia. But these might be discrete only. I'm not sure - the info was very limited.

Or it could be due to methodology. I am curious how close Mercury and JPR are and what the differences are.

A tangent, but to me JPR seems a little unprofessional in the way it reports. Colorful writing about "thuds" seems a little sensational. And what is the point of having a JPR section on Beyond3D when the same info is available elsewhere? Or are they providing something more to you guys?

I have seen some superficial Mercury numbers from a Goldman report that diverges considerably with the JPR numbers. I think a 4% increase in notebook share and 3% decrase in desktop share for Nvidia. But these might be discrete only. I'm not sure - the info was very limited.
Those numbers would make a lot of sense from a discrete-only perspective. Although JPR's numbers would still be strange for desktops if true - I doubt NVIDIA shipped a gazillion MCP73s behind the scenes.

Or it could be due to methodology. I am curious how close Mercury and JPR are and what the differences are.
Both get their numbers from the IHVs, but JPR does extra channel checks to try to make sure it's accurate and get some extra data to analyse, AFAIK.

Or are they providing something more to you guys?
There have been a few JPR pieces on B3D that weren't available elsewhere, but there hasn't been any for at least a couple of months now IIRC.

Back