AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by ToTTenTranz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Ethatron

Regular Subscriber

Traditionally this wasn't the case. There was a time where Quadros didn't even have up-to-date DirectX drivers. Fermi was the first with 11.0, it took only 2 1/2 years to implement them, and Nvidia certainly has more head-start than the official publishing date.

2. pharma

Veteran Regular

[​IMG]
    https://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-quadro-p4000-and-p2000-pro-workstation-gpu-review?page=6

#2102 pharma, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    xpea likes this.
  3. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Are you sure, you are remembering this correctly? Back "then" I used to game on my Quadro cards (nV10, nV28, G70 and the last was a GT200) quite regularly. Maybe they missed out on the latest optimizations for newly launched titles, but standard game acceleration has alsways been there.

pharma likes this.
  4. Infinisearch

Veteran Regular

5. pharma

Veteran Regular

What they say in the article is not necessarily true .... P4000 seems to do equal or better performance at $850 based on their reported benchmark data.
    Edit: One thing I hope reviewers do is check AMD and Nvidia drivers for power management mode features ... when installed both Geforce and Quadro drivers do not default to the highest performance setting ("Prefer Maximum Performance").

#2105 pharma, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  6. Infinisearch

Veteran Regular

I know I've been following this thread a little and saw that before. But I mainly posted for those thirsty for some gaming performance leaks.

pharma likes this.
  7. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

And the article/video contains really nothing for gamers, apart from "it seems to play as good as a Titan Xp". It's a token gesture and nothing more by AMD, purely some marketing to show people that there are cards, they're working, and we want prosumers to buy them. They know they're safe with a media outlet like PC Gamer who will definitely follow any rules provided by AMD.

DavidGraham and xpea like this.
  8. Ethatron

Regular Subscriber

I appologize, it wasn't fair. DirectX 11 only shipped 1 1/4 years after reveal, the GT200 has PS 4.1 which is 10_1 (even though you can run 10_1 on DX11.0 it's a PITA, no [edit: decent, shouldn't be so dismissive about this level ;)] compute fe.).
    The point I tried to convey is that you couldn't use a Quadro to evaluate real-time performance on the API which becomes relevant when you ship/finish your project, your team also can't program against it because it doesn't have the features, except you do it in OGL. The ATI FirePro V5800 would have been a better choice.

#2108 Ethatron, Jun 27, 2017
  9. pharma

Veteran Regular

10. DavidGraham

Veteran

Or, it could mean that professional workloads don't really scale well on GCN. AMD's pro line has always suffered non linear scaling inbetween iterations. Besides, AMD didn't hint at that being the case at all.

11. no-X

Veteran

Maybe they just have no idea, what they are talking about:

As for "Vega GPUs do not support Error Correcting Memory" (taken from MI25 specs):
    As for "do not support native double-precision":
    GCN architecture has native 1/16 double-precision support, there is not a single GCN-based GPU without FP64. It seems they are confusing native double-precision with fast (1/2) double-precision. Maybe they sould at least read specs of a product before publishing an article about it…

12. jacozz

Newcomer

Another thing that's seems to be a bit different with the Vega-launch is the talk about "peak-performance" and not sustained clocks. Looks like the air cooled have the the same boost clocks as the water cooled. Meaning, the air cooled will probably throttle down a bit on heavy loads, but the liquid cooled stay at 1 600 mhz...

13. jacozz

Newcomer

I was thinking a new tweaked version of the silicon.

14. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

I really hope good performances. A 1600mhz Fiji without bottleneck would be awesome, so, with all the tweak involve, should be even better... But the delay, the strange communication (imo), I fear R600 all over again.

Heinrich4 likes this.
  15. Cat Merc

Newcomer

Double the memory bandwidth, near double the shader count, about 30% higher geometry performance from clockspeed, double the ROPs, and you're telling me they couldn't get any more performance out of it than WX7100?

16. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Yes, you could not project DX-performance 1:1 on corresponding Geforce cards, but Quadros were configured a bit differently most of the time (clocks, shaders, memory controllers - my GT200-Quadro has DDR3, but 4 GiByte graphics mem). But german c't magazine for example most of the time tested at least the common 3DMark at the time alongside SPEC Viewperf and other "pro" applications. To my knowledge, they never really complained about missing DX-API compliance or general performance (apart from what is to be expected given the configuration differences and a few optimizations).

#2116 CarstenS, Jun 27, 2017
    pharma likes this.
  17. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

I know, I just find that unlikely.

But hey, the situation could be that bad, maybe it's not out of the question.

18. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Frontier Edition's product site has been updated and the drivers have been posted:
    http://pro.radeon.com/en-us/product/radeon-vega-frontier-edition/
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/frontier?os=Windows+10+-+64

From the first link:

19. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

850w power supply recommended :no:

20. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

From the footnotes:
    http://pro.radeon.com/en-us/product/radeon-vega-frontier-edition/
    formatted for better readability.
    • Orange Room score 23,x% higher than WX7100 (downclocked RX 480) - again, a non-telling benchmark with orange room being the less intensive of the two parts. And from the post below:
    • 4 triangles per clock

Lightman, DavidGraham and pharma like this.