AMD Q2 2010 Earnings Conference Call

thop

Great Member
Veteran
Haven't spotted this in the big threads yet. Not a lot of information but a few news. And on a different note: I'm both amused and fascinated by a few phrases used in these kind of calls. "Can we get a bit more color on this?" :D

http://seekingalpha.com/article/214781-advanced-micro-devices-inc-q2-2010-earnings-conference-call

Second straight record quarter of GPU shipments, only tempered by supply constraints. More than 50% of all GPUs were DX11. Nearly 16M DX11 GPUs shipped to date.

Ontario APU ships in Q4 2010, ahead of schedule. 40nm by TMSC. Low power with DX11 for the netbook market. Positioned very well against Intel Atom.

Next Radeon this year.

Now all they need to do is convince people Ontario is a good product. An Apple design win at this stage would be perfect for setting the perceptions of the market straight about the potential of their CGPU.

Now all they need to do is convince people Ontario is a good product. An Apple design win at this stage would be perfect for setting the perceptions of the market straight about the potential of their CGPU.

People don't need that much convincing, it's really about OEMs. And according to Dirk Meyer, they're pretty enthusiastic about Ontario.

I'd take any enthusiasm on the part of a company's CEO on a conf call with a touch of salt.

As would I, but Dirk Meyer strikes me as a pretty honest fellow. I was skeptical when he said that because of the settlement with Intel, AMD's situation was poised to improve in the mobile space and that OEM adoption was much better, but that proved to be true.

He could also have been much less honest about GloFo's 32nm, or this quarter's disappointing server results.

As would I, but Dirk Meyer strikes me as a pretty honest fellow. I was skeptical when he said that because of the settlement with Intel, AMD's situation was poised to improve in the mobile space and that OEM adoption was much better, but that proved to be true.

He could also have been much less honest about GloFo's 32nm, or this quarter's disappointing server results.

True. On a side note, I'd very disappointed if BD gets pushed to 2h2011. GPU sales are still ~3x less than cpu sales @AMD. I am really looking fwd to some juicy prices next year when I build my desktop. :cool:

They have a lower profit than in the previous quarter. They don't have a problem with the supply.

Yes, their profit dropped a bit, because the product mix changed: they sold more low-end chips to OEMs, mainly for notebooks. On the other hand they couldn't sell as many high-end chips because they do have a supply problem.

Back