AMD Propus to be released in Q2 & Q3

those are very high prices (as much as a full computer), Intel wants high margin high end laptops, perhaps with an Intel SSD along it.

I believe propus will actually compete with dual core nehalem and then dual core westmere. They will best each other depending on the tasks you run.

I believe propus will actually compete with dual core nehalem and then dual core westmere.
There will be no dual core nehalem. Havendale/Auburndale are canceled, with the westmere parts (clarkdale/arrendale) appearing a bit earlier than originally thought.
They will best each other depending on the tasks you run.
Something like a 3Ghz dual-core westmere part will obviously run circles around a 2.2Ghz propus for single/dual-threaded workloads (unless amd implements turbo-like abilities, even then it can't win). Even with heavily multithreaded apps it could be quite close. And I fear in terms of perf/watt it will not compete neither (of course, you could say that's unfair a 45nm part against a 32nm part...). Maybe those improvements GF mentioned indeed help, but I dunno I wouldn't expect drastic improvements from it.

Back