Am I politically correct?

Frank

Certified not a majority
Veteran
I think a resounding answer to that question would be: "NO!"

Should I be, and if so, in what cases? Because that is the main criticism I always get, next to talking too much. I should behave more like a manager, to be able to grow.

Small lies, big lies, what's the difference? That the paper is always right and everyone agrees to that vision, no matter? And that sucking up to people is the single best way to raise in any organization? They like you, so you get the benefits?

I'm generally the single one who is saying that it isn't going to work. As in, actually. And I'm generally the only one as well who is offering an alternative in which it will work. Which is only accepted if I give that secretly to a manager and he can proclaim that as his solution, often while including so much politically required crap that it makes it useless.

I think I succeed only about 10% of the time when it's a high profile project. All the other times I get killed, but I'm allowed to stay, because I'm useful. I hate that.

You got the feeling that your colleagues are a pain to work with and you'd accomplish more and be more satisfied if you'd call your own shots? But you can't, on your own without the relations and the assets and the security of a larger company. Hmmm ...

You'll eventually have to do one of two things or it'll drive you insane: break away from these people, maybe a different job, maybe trying your own thing or ... learn to appreciate the place more. Maybe there's a way to make your utility known to a higher-up in the company, you know, without selling yourself out morally.

You got the feeling that your colleagues are a pain to work with and you'd accomplish more and be more satisfied if you'd call your own shots? But you can't, on your own without the relations and the assets and the security of a larger company. Hmmm ...

You'll eventually have to do one of two things or it'll drive you insane: break away from these people, maybe a different job, maybe trying your own thing or ... learn to appreciate the place more. Maybe there's a way to make your utility known to a higher-up in the company, you know, without selling yourself out morally.
Good points.

I generally have no problems with my colleagues or with CEOs, only with intermediate management and other competitors that are in for the same race. I work at a small company (~40 people), and it's going pretty good, although there was some problem a month ago. And I most often do external projects. I tend to gravitate to the position of something alike technical project leader on those most of the time, after implementing the core concepts. And most of the projects do work, technically. But then I hit politics and often it becomes one big mess, from my point of view.

As for doing it all myself, I tried. I have had my own company for a while, but it was a disaster. I tried to find someone who was good in politics and administration (a manager), but it didn't work out. So, I've more or less given up on that.

But I feel pretty frustrated with the political part whenever it happens. As most of you surely know by now.

I sorta get how you feel, Im not as technically minded or do stuff like you but I work in a lab. The only time I can get a suggestion through is if I put if throught 1 or 2 higher up ppl who will actually listen to me and consider it seriously.
They have an improvements idea list thats be done recently which is good, but still many things they just throw in the too hard basket or get involved with politics.
The section manager is a really nice guy, as all of them are actually, but he is a real "yes man" and doesnt like having ppl disagreeing with him or ppl in positions where they could cause difficulties for him if they just dont blindly accept what he says. Incredibly frustrating at times.

Back