Airbus A380 Mid-air Engine Failure

heads up, on boeing 747's Ive sleep in a bed, normally theres a couple at the back of the plane in a room up some stairs.
Check the doors out, they are usually locked but you might get lucky. You'll get told off by the flight attendant if they catch you but I managed a ~8hr sleep on one flight (certainly better than trying to doze on your seat).
I think they have this room for a sick passenger or if they (attendants) want a kip.

All transoceanic flights require crew bunks for crew rotation.

Leg space is not related to the a380 :). In other words a 737 could have plenty of leg space too. I don't really care about the airplane wars though. Unless they make engines so efficient that they can fly it economically while letting me sleep (i.e. a bed), or get a supersonic one then I don't really care.

Obviously, but there is a stock design that most airlines follow.

The other cool thing is (at least on the Air France flights) they stick a camera on the tail, so you see yourself take off. Its quite surreal!

Volcanic ash? Qantas maintenance crew sabotage or something wrong with their material stock? Terrorists with handheld heatseeking missiles?

Is there really any overlap in replacement parts between these engines? Apart from the brand they aren't really alike.

PS. the captain from the first was a passenger on the second, wonder if there were any normal passengers on both those flights ... that can't be good for your nerves.

Last edited by a moderator:
heads up, on boeing 747's Ive sleep in a bed, normally theres a couple at the back of the plane in a room up some stairs.
Check the doors out, they are usually locked but you might get lucky. You'll get told off by the flight attendant if they catch you but I managed a ~8hr sleep on one flight (certainly better than trying to doze on your seat).
I think they have this room for a sick passenger or if they (attendants) want a kip.

ok and also how do you manage a smoke during those longs flights? :LOL: awesome. one to try for those with dark skin on an AA flight.

what did you say "i just opened the door; it was unlocked and so i took a nap"? didn't some passenger get arrested recently for not putting his tray table up or something?

Well back in the olden days (i.e. 90s) flights were not so overbooked and when I flew from Australia I got an entire center row in a 747. When you put all the armrests up you can sleep pretty darn good too :)

I don't know if sneaking into the crew quarters would endear you in the age we live in now.

Incidentally, the A380 is a beautiful airplane to be a passenger in. I took one this summer from NY to Paris, and it flies like a dream. Very smooth takeof and landing, lots of leg space and all sorts of cool amenities

Pretty sure passengers on the Titanic said the same thing.;)

Yeah, if only the Titanic had been flying instead... Then I bet it wouldn't have collided with that iceberg! ;)

Not if it had been powered by zero-point energy motors instead of steam engines...! :LOL:

what did you say "i just opened the door; it was unlocked and so i took a nap"? didn't some passenger get arrested recently for not putting his tray table up or something?
Ive been kicked out a couple of times then I just acted dumb when caught. Ppl are usually relaxed about things + dont want to create hassle for themselves, esp with the asian airlines.
@Sxotty yes it is a different age this century (The age of fear) though my partner flew to auckland last month, she asked if she could take some photos out of the cockpit, she got to sit in the co-pilots seat the whole flight, including when they landed. Of course some wowsers would say this is a safety issue. These same wowsers wouldnt pick up hitchhikers I also suspect. I picked up one yesterday on my way back from goldpanning (even dropped him off at the airport!). Just cause we get told its an age of fear we dont need to act like it.

Incidentally, the A380 is a beautiful airplane to be a passenger in. I took one this summer from NY to Paris, and it flies like a dream. Very smooth takeof and landing, lots of leg space and all sorts of cool amenities
Agreed. Did a flight to and from Singapore in an A380 and the room and noise levels were far better. Also, I believe the oxygen and humidity levels are higher than on earlier aircraft which can't hurt the comfort.

I heard an engineering 'expert' interviewed on BBC Radio earlier and he said that, looking at the photos, it seemed that most of the engine was intact so they ought to be able to discover the cause of the failure without any problems.

He also mentioned that it looked like a pretty typical failure for a jet engine. In other words, the fact that the relatively new A380 engine failed might not be indication of a specific problem with the design simply because it is new. Apparently the design of all jet engines has been tweaked as they are used and new data becomes available, something which is a little worrying! ;)
Not terribly worrying. From what I understand, these aircraft are designed such that the failure of one engine is insufficient to bring the plane down. The simultaneous failure of both engines is exceedingly unlikely.

Not terribly worrying. From what I understand, these aircraft are designed such that the failure of one engine is insufficient to bring the plane down. The simultaneous failure of both engines is exceedingly unlikely.

777 & 767 can fly with one engine of two.
747 can fly with two of four.
I would thing the 380 could fly on two but it might require on on each side.

Engine failure alone isn't th concern here - it's the wing damage that's troubling.

777 & 767 can fly with one engine of two.
747 can fly with two of four.
I would thing the 380 could fly on two but it might require on on each side.

Engine failure alone isn't th concern here - it's the wing damage that's troubling.
Ostensibly yes, wing damage could bring the plane down. However, it did still land safely. There is obviously a question as to how close the aircraft came to dangerous failure, but so far there is insufficient evidence to suggest this.

The spoilers on the wing of the blown engine didn't deploy when landing.
Control to the outer engine on the wing with the blown engine was lost and started running at climb throttle levels (valves default to open when control is lost.) The engine was drenched by firefighters after the plane had landed.

People are speculating that it was a failure in the rotor, not a blade failure. The engine is designed to retard blades. The rotor can't be stopped, too high mass.

Cheers

Back