Ace Combat 5 Aircraft Lineup Revealed

Squeak said:
Options and playmodes can completely kill a game for me.
Gameplay is all about setting up the right kind of boundaries for the game to unfold in.
Options make it seem like the developer didn't know what they really wanted to do, and didn't care either.
Certainly you can incorrectly balance something and have different concentrations, but I don't see that as being a bad thing even if it's weighted more in one direction--just so long as their main target isn't shabby because of it.

For games like this, though, I think the trait people were talking about (limited ammo) is the kind of thing that would just make for a "hard mode" to begin with--certainly one of the easier ways. More realistic weapon limitations (and damage if that applies), more complex physics, fuel concerns, the usual AI differences... One end would be quite suitable for an "arcade flier" and the other much more suitable to the more realistic sims. (There could be additional procedures one has to follow in the sim mode as well that are ignored in the other ones, too.)

Offhand, I see "sim-like" being a natural extension of how to make the game have a variation of difficulties--which these games normally have ANYway. I don't think it would cause any single facet to become unbalanced because of it--it would just provide extra difficulty through steps that bring it closer to a realistic flight sim.

cthellis42 said:
Squeak said:
Gameplay is all about setting up the right kind of boundaries for the game to unfold in.
Options make it seem like the developer didn't know what they really wanted to do, and didn't care either.
Certainly you can incorrectly balance something and have different concentrations, but I don't see that as being a bad thing even if it's weighted more in one direction--just so long as their main target isn't shabby because of it.

For games like this, though, I think the trait people were talking about (limited ammo) is the kind of thing that would just make for a "hard mode" to begin with--certainly one of the easier ways. More realistic weapon limitations (and damage if that applies), more complex physics, fuel concerns, the usual AI differences... One end would be quite suitable for an "arcade flier" and the other much more suitable to the more realistic sims. (There could be additional procedures one has to follow in the sim mode as well that are ignored in the other ones, too.)

Offhand, I see "sim-like" being a natural extension of how to make the game have a variation of difficulties--which these games normally have ANYway. I don't think it would cause any single facet to become unbalanced because of it--it would just provide extra difficulty through steps that bring it closer to a realistic flight sim.

I agree, something akin to the Gran Turismo series where it can foster the arcade players equally as the simulation mob! 8)

Squeak said:

I like replay value, even tho I don't often play a game more than once after completion, but its always good to know there is something to come back for.

If there are too many options which doesn't bring much to the table, maybe what you said is true, but different players like different challanges, thus options might accommodate this. Take GT3 for example, when I first picked it up, it felt like there's too many options to work thru before you can play the game, but the more you play, the more I appreciated them.

Wow JAS39 Gripen.. :oops:
The plane looks BEAUTIFUL and they did look as good in ACE4 from what i can see.
One thing that i been thinking of(huge fan of ACE-Series) is when PS3 "Hits" and probably an ACE6 what we can look forward too with the citys and the infrastructure and of course better groundtextures.
Namco does know how to push the PS2 hardware.

Nice...Though, the fighter selections are a bit repetitive... No need for an F-16A, F-16C, and F-16XL...
Who would choose an F-14A over an F-14A+/F-14D?

I guess once again I’m being hard on the game...

I'll be sticking with the F-15C and F-16C for the meantime as seeing I may be flying one in the future...

Back