A good investment? Help me with it, please

I'm not really that comfortable with overclocking, i want stuff to just work when i put them togheter. How come FireWire seems to be so out of favor on motherboards? I've been searching around for a good and cheap motherboard with FireWire and they are quite a bit fewer in number then MBs without.

firewire can sustain the speed and most importantly is what you find on cameras.
a suggestion I can make is the Asus M2N-E SLI, the SLI is useless but it's still cheap and looks nice. (nforce 500, a rebranded nforce 4, gigabit ethernet and firewire)

Really? i was under the impression that DVD-RAM dics could be read by all dvd players but not written to.

I now have a more finite spec by the way, i visited the local MicroShop store (computer chain) and we went thgouh a list of components. I've decided on a motherboard with IGP graphics for the moment that i will upgrade when i can afford to.

ASUS motherboard AM2 M2A-VM 690G

2gb 800mhz PATRIOT ram

AMD 6000+

Samsung 320GB 7200.10 HDD SATA II

LC-Power Super Silent 420W 120mm

Compucase 6A silver

All of those components at the cost of 799 USD (5210 SEK), I haven't decided on a DVD player/writer yet as i haven't found one with RAM writing support in my town, so i might have to order one. I will invest in a graphics card as time goes on and i feel i need one. Since the computer is mainly going to be for editing film i think the AVIVO support and HDMI output on the board will work fine with the TV i have in mind. As i understand it there isn't alot of need for GPU processing "omph" with Premiere Pro CS3

maybe they can be read by all dvd players but how are you going to create them, if you buy a dvd burner it will do dvdr + rw

They can't be created by all burners but apparently read by all dvd drives. At least thats how i understood it on wikipedia. Either way it will be very good to store video on for long periods of time to keep it off the hard drive. Only downside is that apparently i need a different program if i write in UDF instead of the native FAT32 that windows supports.

I also heard about the windows server 2003 core and i was kinda interested in the fact that microsoft have cut alot of ancient stuff.

well if you cant write to dvd ram disks you wont need the ability to read them because they will all be blank ;)

ps: over 10 times the price of a dvd-rw

Not that i could find in Sweden, DVD-RAM discs go for a bit more then a ordinary RW. And i figured that if i have 10 i wont be running out of discs for awhile considering how i imagine their usage; The rest i'd burn on RW.

I will when i build my new computer in a few days. Some parts need to come to the store first since they got sold out, as i discovered today.

It hath been built, and it is working!

First time ever i built my own PC, i was sure i'd screw up. Nice to be proven wrong don't you think? I have yet to encounter any trouble and it's a rather silent setup.

Back