9500, 9700 Pro/non Pro benchmarks and specs.

Kaizer

Newcomer
I suppose it was the notorious Chip.de that first published these figures and scores, but my favourite norwegian hardware website reported this last night

http://www.hardware.no/nyheter/oktober02/radeon9500_ytelse.html
"Som vi tidligere har skrevet om vil ATI innen få dager lansere nye grafikkbrikker i form av Radeon 9500 og Radeon 9700. Nå har det lekket ut informasjon om ytelsen.

Det tyske nettstedet CHIP Online har fått tilgang til ytelsesmålinger av Radeon 9500 og Radeon 9700. Kortene er testet i det populære måleprogrammet 3DMark2001SE, og de er sammenliknet mot GeForce4 Ti4200, Ti4600 samt Radeon 9700 Pro.

Interessant er det at artikkelen også nevner en Radeon 9500 Pro utgave, som visstnok skal komme på markedet i midten av november. Radeon 9500 Pro vil ifølge CHIP Online være utstyrt med 8 pipelines, det samme som storebrødrene 9700/9700 Pro.

Her er spesifikasjonene for de ulike brikkene slik CHIP Online gjengir de:"

This first part is mostly a summary of where they have gotten the info, that the 9500Pro is supposed to come out mid novemberish and so on. Then comes the more interesting part:

radeon_9500_9700_specs_tabell.gif

Below the table, the article writer says that contrary to previous information, the chip.de article says that the chips will be out 23.10.02 (or 10.23.02 if you like).

3Dmark2001SE 1024x768x32

R9500: 10006
Ti4200: 10392
Ti4600: 11131
R9500Pro: 11500
R9700: 13236
R9700Pro:14335

Lastly, the performance chart from some program from madonion that I've never even heard about places the new cards around the current top of the class cards.

Any comments?

Yours.
Kjetil

If those prices are correct, nVidia's got a problem.....
Looks like the real deals here are the 9500Pro & the 9700!

If the 9500Pro AA+AF perfromance resembles the 9700's at 10x7 it might be harder to wait for the NV30.

The 9700 non-pro is the most interesting to me, because it is funtionally identical to the 9700 Pro (as far as we know, naturally). Same core, same 256-bit memory bus.

It's more like a Ti4200: only clock speed seperates it from the highest end chip. I would also like to hope that overclocking could bring it back to retail speeds (or close), just like in the case of the Ti4200 or Radeon 8500 LE.

Almost like getting a 9700 Pro for $100 less.

For the value end, the 9500 is going to be great. I expect street prices to be in the low 100's range. And of course, the 9500 Pro is going to put a crunch on the Ti lineup if it has a street price of $200 or less (which I expect).

by the core/mem speeds, I would think it highly likely that the 9700 is just an outlet for the cores that couldnt make the grade to go on a 9700Pro.

And the memory clock is defferent enough that I would expect the Physical chips to be different parts, not going as fast as the 9700Pro. I dont see this card as being a cheap 9700Pro. I dont think it will be able to get to stock 9700Pro performance by normal air-cooling means.

The 9500Pro is a very well placed card though, IMO. But my 9700Pro suits me fine :D

I totally agree that the "standard" 9700 could real be a dream product for overclockers/modders. Not so much because it'll hit Pro speeds out of the box (I am quite doubtful it will), but because you may be able to put in a little bit of warranty-voiding work and get nice returns.

Suppose the only real difference between it and the top-rung card is the absence of the external power feed (necessary for operation abouve 300MHz) and perhaps the use of more modest cooling. Because they will most likely make use of ATi's 942 reference PCB (why develop a new one?), you could probably solder on your own power connector... the pads and traces will hopefully be there. Then flash the BIOS with the Pro one and away you go. It would seem that memory bus speed is not limited by the chips on the Pro... if the 9700 comes with Samsung 3.6ns BGA I don't see any reason why it shouldn't hit similar kinds of speeds to the card with 2.8ns memory (i.e. ~<650MHz). I doubt they'd drop back to TSOP because Power PCB would return some kind of "YOU MUST BE FRICKIN' JOKING!!!" error. ;)

Of course... this is wishful thinking on my part, but definitely possible. If it turns out to be the case then I think I'll buy one almost immediately. :)

MuFu.

you've been holding that dream since before the 9700 was officially announced :)

If its feasible will you mod to order? :)

I think all these cards will require an external power connector. The 9700 Pro manual mentions the 9500 requiring a connector.

MaliciousBraham said:
by the core/mem speeds, I would think it highly likely that the 9700 is just an outlet for the cores that couldnt make the grade to go on a 9700Pro.

And the memory clock is defferent enough that I would expect the Physical chips to be different parts, not going as fast as the 9700Pro. I dont see this card as being a cheap 9700Pro. I dont think it will be able to get to stock 9700Pro performance by normal air-cooling means.

The 9500Pro is a very well placed card though, IMO. But my 9700Pro suits me fine :D

This is true, but you usually can get a good 20 MHz overclock out of the memory (at least my experience), so that means you'll get that 275 MHz memory up to maybe 295-300 MHz and that's "almost the same as the Pro", ;)

Back