5Gbit/s USB3 going optical - whoah!

You'll have peace once you tell me how to do networking via usb :)

As someone who has recently had to sort out my sister's new Vista laptop with USB networking (thanks to her crappy old USB DSL modem), I would suggest that burning at the stake is too good for whoever decided that networking via peripheral connectivity would be a good idea. There's a perfectly good ethernet protocol for networking, and has been for quite some time.

In fact, my ISP stopped installing their cable modems on USB a couple of years back, because it can't handle the higher speed, and is generally a big old pain in the ass.

I don't like the idea of optical cabling for external devices. Internal ok, because nobody is going to be touching it, or at least not often. The average person won't know anything about bend radius or cleaning optical connections. You'll see a lot of nasty problems from people constantly plugging and unplugging devices on top of their dirty desks, on top of all the physical damage to optical cables. Electric is the way to go for consumers.

Optical medium isn't the same as it was 10 years ago -- glass isn't the only conductor any longer. Back when I first started with fiber optics, you had to be VERY careful about the connectors, the bend radius, being squished / pinched, et al. But new fiber optics are based on essentially very clear plastic, and can withstand bend radiuses less than 1cm, use much finer-sized connectors that are far less susceptible to wayward airborne particulate, and are much less susceptible to cracking due to crush (someone stepping on the cable)

While it's still obviously more fragile than a solid metal conductor, I don't see it being prohibitively so.

eh? That's storage.
Eh? No it isn't!

A camera's a camera; ie, it transforms 3D real-world imagery into a computer-readable electronic signal.

A video capture device captures a video signal of some sort, analog or digital.

Neither of them store anything. Nor do you neccessarily store anything either at the other end, ie when the imagery's been sent to your PC. You could be watching a live feed on your monitor.

Peace.

i think he meant a still picture camera is storage - as in it just acts as a drive when plugged into a pc..

Well let's just say most cameras hooked up throuhg USB aren't digital SLRs and leave it at that.

Well, maybe they aren't SLR's, but the vast majority of digital still-photo cameras that connect to a PC use the *gasp* USB port to do so. So, yeah, not sure why you're trying to dig yourself out of a hole that really doesn't exist...

Far more people will plug in a digital still-photo camera than a USB cam. Examples? Grandparents much? Parents of small children? These people don't have time to video-chat with everyone, or else really wouldn't want to. The USB webcam crowd is mostly the teenagers thru college kids, and even those folks will have digital still-photo cameras too.

*Sigh*

Obtuse much?

"Camera" != "still-photo camera".

I'm not digging my way out of anything. I'm stating facts. Wether grannies with their Kodaks and whatnot outnumber people with webcams is really beside the point in this case. A camera is absolutely not the same as some form of storage device.

Well clearly there are different definitions of "camera".... But um... camera I think means still-photo to the majority given the roots of the device. Video capture to me implies storage. See: Gamersyde/Gametrailers, DV recorders...

Webcameras and video cams are different and "new" terms. Semantics. :| For direct video transmission, in webcams, I'll agree that the shared USB2.0 bandwidth is not sufficient for practicality. But even so, HD encoded video doesn't take up that much... then you'd be limited by computer processing (to encode that) and more importantly, the individual's ISP. Not many people have 40Mbit/s upload...

I think webcams have some sort of (rudimentary I suppose) realtime compression built into them. Motion jpeg maybe?

Otherwise things would have been a slideshow on the older USB standard.
Peace.

Back