55nm G92b die-shot @ PCPer

Interesting. So when can we expect NV's PR to start pumping out the "AA at high resolutions isn't necessary" meme? :p
Actually they did a similar bashing on FSAA all together, back in the times of the GeForce256 against dying 3Dfx. :devilish:

Oh, I remember all of NVidia's PR evilness over the years. :devilish:

I bought one of the first Voodoo cards sold in the UK and have since owned various 3Dfx, NVidia and ATI cards. I actually gave up on PC gaming a few years ago in part because of the escalating costs but the new price war meant that, in theory, the 4850/9800GTX might be of interest to me. This was, of course, until I had a quick look at prices here in the UK. Including taxes I'd have to pay equivalent to US $ 280 for one of these cards. It's not just the money, it's the principle of paying so much more which gets my goat.

I'll probably treat myself to a PS3 around Christmas instead.

I've only seen static shots of scenes where R600 is supposed to shimmer, never a video. Would be good to see a G71 and R600 shoot-out.

Jawed

It's only RV670 vs. GT200 plus you'd have to register to DL the vid (google translation can help you there):
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,6..._SLI_Der_grosse_PCGH-Benchmark-Test/index.cfm

There's a ~56 Meg Video with side by side comparison - unfortunately quality has suffered despite a 95+ percentage quality-setting for the wmv-encoder. :(

I still have the original uncompressed files from Fraps-capturing, but I guess I am not allowed to upload those (yet), since they're on our mags cover mount DVD.

edit:
Here are some more - R600 and G80 FWIW - but at least uncompressed etc.. You'd have to register too, though. :(
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=603050

Last edited by a moderator:
CarstenS, have you tried compressing the videos using X.264/H.264 ? That should keep the file quality exceptional while keeping the file size to a minimum. However, it'll likely take a while to do the encoding.

CarstenS, have you tried compressing the videos using X.264/H.264 ? That should keep the file quality exceptional while keeping the file size to a minimum. However, it'll likely take a while to do the encoding.

At smaller file sizes (less than 1.5 gigs for 2 hours for example) I find mpeg4 and especially WMVHD to have far better quality than h.264 for the same file size with lower CPU overhead. At least to me h.264 has a blurry quality at smaller file sizes.

Regards,
SB

Yes I/we did experiment with that, but it seemed not to be much better and since we mainly do this for our (print) mags readers, we're trying to stick to the most common codecs out there. But when I'm back from vacation, I#ll give it another try with a decent H.264-profile.

Back