40GB PS3 to hit Japan for 39,980 Yen with a ceramic white model on Nov. 11

I wish SCEA liked colors more... It appears we (NA) have to wait for the 12th for our announcement.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are showing 40GB models at the GT5P booth at the Tokyo Motor Show.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20071024/tms1.htm

tms35.jpg

tms36.jpg

tms37.jpg

tms38.jpg

ps305.jpg

The Emperor would be proud.
Seriously, it looks like a Stormtroopers equipment.

Really? I'm pretty sure that my good friend the Emperor would fire up some lighting bolts due to the crappy L2 and R2 buttons actually, and he might also be little curious about the position of the left analog stick, as according to Darth Vader it should be where the d-pad currently is, and I kinda agree with him.

The Empire has always been about aesthetics above functionality. I mean, AT-AT walkers look terrifying, but it would make more sense to build land vehicles that don't trip and fall over.

The White PS3 has DS3? If I import a Japanese 40GB PS3 what am I losing? I want the DS3 but don't want to wait till next year to get it. The games arent region encoded right? Japan is the same BD region as the US, right?

The White PS3 has DS3? If I import a Japanese 40GB PS3 what am I losing? I want the DS3 but don't want to wait till next year to get it. The games arent region encoded right? Japan is the same BD region as the US, right?

The DS3 is not included with the white PS3. There is (or will be), however, a white DS3 available.

To answer your questions though, yes Japan and the US are both in Region A for BDs. You shouldn't run into any regional problems with PS3 games as long as you play in HD (720p or higher). DVDs will not be in the same region, however, and neither will PS1 games.

PS3 is region free for PS3 games, but if I'm not mistaken the games still know the region of the PS3 that is playing them and so some games offer slightly different experience. I seem to recall for example that when Resistance is played on a Japanese console, some parts of the game are censored, also apparently some games will only let you play online with the same region players as the console. I can't give you any numbers on how many games play differently though...

Crap, I really want the DS3, but my wife complains about not being able to buy a high price item for me for christmas. So I want her to get me one, but I want the rumble :cry:. Just my luck the only PS1 game I own is gran turismo 2. I am sure that will be on PSN at some point and time. Is the firmware situation the same as the PSP, i.e I can upgrade with the US firmware? Thanks!

PS3 is region free for PS3 games, but if I'm not mistaken the games still know the region of the PS3 that is playing them and so some games offer slightly different experience. I seem to recall for example that when Resistance is played on a Japanese console, some parts of the game are censored, also apparently some games will only let you play online with the same region players as the console. I can't give you any numbers on how many games play differently though...

This is correct. But it is determined by your own user settings I think. I've heard on Insomniac's own podcast that there is a different music style for the disco ball weapon (groovatron) in Japan for instance, where apparently according to Insomniac they are more into techno. :LOL:

I'm not sure if you can install a firmware from a different region this time though. Ask hey69 in a pm, he'll know. Personally I doubt it this time.

Is anyone else going to import the white PS3? I was looking at play-asia, but the white DS3 is already sold out (I wanted to get both at once). I wonder who else there is to go to now that lik-sang is gone I am lost :cry:.

i can get you a white ps3 and a white DS3... the question is where needs it to be shipped and how much are you wiling to pay for it :D (thats a real serieus question..)

i can get you a white ps3 and a white DS3... the question is where needs it to be shipped and how much are you wiling to pay for it :D (thats a real serieus question..)

Well Amazon looks like they have some white ps3's for 331US. I didn't look at the DS3 price though. Let me know your pricing and I will talk to my wife. She is the one "buying" it for me for christmas.

if I where you, i would go for the amazon ps3 ;) . DS3's are 59€ fedex included for the time being (since they are out of stock or long delivery time)

Back