3D model not visible in C# program.. (C#/XNA/Blender question)

pjschmidt

Newcomer
I created a couple of really basic 3d models using blender, and am trying to incorportate them into my c#/xna project. The problem is, I can't see them! I tried using a few sample models I found online and they worked fine.. So, I'm wondering if the problem is that my models aren't centered (within blender) at the origin? If they aren't, how might I fix the issue?

Additional details:
*the files are in .fbx format, and the samples, IIRC, were in .x
*my camera and view/projection matrices are set up to view the origin, and the model is set to be at the origin

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would export them from blender in DirectX .x format. If you still don't see it it could be that you need to assign it some basic material properties.

well, the .x format didn't help. What properties are you talking about?

A lot of programs are going to require some indication as to how to shade the surface. For example many renderers would draw an object without an associated material or shader as nothing, because there is nothing there for light (the approximation of light, anyway) to interact with. I can't really help you with specifics because I've never used Blender, but the basic idea is to apply some simple material (like flat or gouraud shaded) to it before you export. Make it orange or something.

You may also wish to try trouble shooting by exporting a simple object like a sphere created at the origin.

Back