[360] Fable III

Malibu

Regular
Late 2010 release. Eurogamer Preview

"The entire Fable idea is a fairytale twist on European history and myth," says McCormack. "What we've settled on is to go about 50 years on from Fable II. So we've loosely chosen the Napoleonic period, and we've started to pull in a bit of Regency, a tiny bit of Victorian, and we're plugging in an early industrial age to Albion. It's a Napoleonic fairytale."

Fable2 is maybe my top game so far this gen, so Fable3 is a nice announcement. I think the release date will be much further off. They don't even have screenshots yet. Christmas 2011 is my guess.

Fable2 is maybe my top game so far this gen, so Fable3 is a nice announcement. I think the release date will be much further off. They don't even have screenshots yet. Christmas 2011 is my guess.

Agreed, it sounds like the game is in a pretty early stage currently, but let's hope they can bring it.

Yeah... 2 years (at most by the announcement) seems very little for an RPG. :???:

Anyways, I'm interested to see how the existing Albion has changed yet again. With the industrialization, pollution ought to be one of those "player conflicts"... especially if it's Bower Lake being affected. ;) I wonder what new lands they'll be introducing... perhaps to do with that "war" aspect :?: To conquer?

Hell yeah! Got my $60 lined up son. My game of the gen gets a sequel announced. Lost Planet 2 demo comes out AND we get Shadow Complex. Wednesday of the year, confirmed.

My biggest hope for Fable3 is some improved form of co-op. Even if it's henchmen again, or some form of sidekick, it would be nice if it had better camera control etc, and maybe some unique co-op features like tag-team moves (non-sexual).

Oh, and completely off topic .... Robert, I watched Jones destroy Lacy. The foot speed wasn't there, but it was a glimpse of the old Roy.

I'm guessing the game won't look vastly different from Fable2 if it is meant to come out that soon. They've just added the new touch and judgement systems into the game. The judgement is probably something like the thumbs up, thumbs down expressions in Fable 2, and touch is probably built into the same expression wheel, but maybe using a little bit of physics for interaction. I just don't see it as being a vastly different game, as far as appearances go. It sounds like the biggest attempts at improvement are being made to the story (dynamic, branching).

Bethsada went from Oblivion to Fallout 3 in 2.5 years + a new engine so 2 years using the same engine with some updates is certainly possible.

Bethsada went from Oblivion to Fallout 3 in 2.5 years + a new engine so 2 years using the same engine with some updates is certainly possible.

This is an evolved version of the engine that ran the graphics of Oblivion, but everything from the animation of monsters to the dramatic lighting of different environments has been designed from the ground up for the ruined landscapes of the Fallout universe.

That from a Game Informer interview. So not that new.

I agree it's possible especially within that timeframe, it's just that reading that Eurogamer preview I get the vibe that it's still quite early in development, but maybe it's closer to finish than I think, we'll see.

Cool. Fable 2 is, like, the one 360 game that gives me twinges of jealousy. Most everything else I want on the platform comes to the PC.

What about adding simulation elements? Some people don't like change and will complain about the tiniest changes to any new installment in a franchise.

Eurogamer Peview said:
All I can reveal at the moment is that we are working on a way to see the world with a wider view, so that you can directly influence large sections of the kingdom at any one time. But at its heart it's still a third-person action game. That experience of being able to directly change the world is something that would actually blend quite nicely with Fable, pulling the camera back a little and allowing you to see how you're changing things and what's going on."

Eurogamer Preview said:
So if this is Albion as you've never seen it before - caught between mechanised, inhuman progress and the bloomy rural dreaminess of the past - it's also Albion in a way you've never seen it before. And this is where the information starts to grow sparse. "When you think about a view of Albion you haven't had yet, looking down on it is a view you haven't had yet," suggests Josh Atkins, Fable III's lead designer - an American at the helm of perhaps the most English of games, but an American who helped out on parts I and II, and has also, y'know, worked for Miyamoto. "We're talking about being able to see more and influence more."

Back