3500 German pirates ....

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
have been charged for putting large amounts of media for download.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5009224.stm
Police in Germany have charged 3,500 users of a file-sharing network in the biggest single action against the illegal distribution of music online.

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) - the record industry's global body - said each could face five years in prison.

They may also have to pay compensation for offering up to 8,000 files at a time for download on the eDonkey site.

Great! Give them all the maximum penalty and make really sure nobody in Germany ever again pirated any media whatsoever! And give them all a free lawyer when they get out of jail to sue all the media giants to bankrupcy because they can then prove their sales didn't increse a single bit!

Bad way to make money, but the hourly wages would be impressive.

Are you kidding? Imagine getting 7000 people on average paying 2,500 euros each. I doubt people buy that much music in a lifetime. The five year jail time penalty scares then into coughing up the cash.

_xxx_ said:
The industry sucks, the politicians supporting this suck even worse.
Yes, and it's not as if taking 3,500 people off the share list from eDonkey is going to have any impact whatsoever. rwolf is right.

DiGuru said:
Yes, and it's not as if taking 3,500 people off the share list from eDonkey is going to have any impact whatsoever. rwolf is right.
Instead, 3500 people imprisoned at the same time would certainly have a bad impact on prisons overcrowding.

Crisidelm said:
Instead, 3500 people imprisoned at the same time would certainly have a bad impact on prisons overcrowding.

If those a**holes just realized that dl'ing is not the reason for their losses, but extreme prices and lack of good material instead, the world could be a much better place.

When I saw the title I was thinking of the wrong kind of pirates...

I thought of the ones that go "Aaaaaarrrrr!"

and was wondering if these pirates had a boat...

Why are pirates so funny?
They just arrrrr.
Edit: I got this "joke" from DQVIII

Last edited by a moderator:
rwolf said:
Are you kidding? Imagine getting 7000 people on average paying 2,500 euros each. I doubt people buy that much music in a lifetime. The five year jail time penalty scares then into coughing up the cash.
You sure about those numbers? I have about 500 CDs. That's over $5000 easily. I know people with over 1000 CDs.

OpenGL guy said:
You sure about those numbers? I have about 500 CDs. That's over $5000 easily. I know people with over 1000 CDs.
Yes, but what is the average? Or, what would those 3500 people have bought, if they had the money to do so?

DiGuru said:
Yes, but what is the average? Or, what would those 3500 people have bought, if they had the money to do so?
No clue, but I think back about the massive LP collections some people used to have and think that spending $2500 (or 2500 euros) in a lifetime is not that far-fetched.

OpenGL guy said:

I know people with large collections as well. But I know a lot of people who have very little music (and not because they listen to mp3s).

rwolf said:
I know people with large collections as well. But I know a lot of people who have very little music (and not because they listen to mp3s).
I'll wager that people who listen to a lot of (illegally downloaded) MP3s have much more legal CD's than the average as well, because music is important to them.

Back