2024 may not be kind for game developers.

It's interesting that the platform holders were really viewed as a place of security. It'll be interesting to see how things are affected going forward. Wonder how many companies will have second thoughts about tying themselves to big publishers and the platform holders in the next five years.

Ouch, even signing a contract to produce an exclusive for a platform holder won't necessarily protect a developer from going under anymore.

Regards,
SB
I was trying to find what that studio produced and since it's inception nothing was released.

That doesn't count as evidence things are rough though. Could be a badly run studio that wouldn't produce anything even in the 2010s. They were contracted to make Sony a game, didn't deliver anything after two years, one half of the founders left (to work for Sony directly), they shed 90% of their workforce and the execs hung around a year presumably looking for a publisher, or a strategy, and then went belly up when th4e investor money ran dry.

Their website is completely lacking in video game stuff - it's all high energy, good lifestyle workplace and nothing to do with making good games!

I don't think this story belongs here. Plenty of startups get nowhere and the story here isn't of a studio producing something valuable only to be unfairly dropped before they could complete it. Worst case, the studio was producing a valuable product but Sony poached Blundell and a bunch of the team. More realistically, these team-members wanted to leave and work for Sony, with the operations of the studio just no good - too many disagreements, too much team building and not enough game making, not enough progress - Blundell and a bunch of the team wanted out.

The only reason this is reported is because of the high profile of the founders and the fact Sony were the named investor. EG even called it a 'Sony Studio closure'. :rolleyes:

All games with sequels started as original games. And all games with sequels are wanted until they are not.

His point isn't that sequels shouldn't exist. His point is that we need more original games too.

now even companies like Ubisoft, which are creating the so called NEO NPCs, aren't helping. Voice actors and actresses are more necessary than ever, no AI can match the voice of a human being expressing emotions, no matter what. Many great examples of that, say Amicia when someone breaks her shoulder, Shadow of the Tomb Raider etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

On Reddit, there's an article posted from PC Gamer about the 'gold rush' being over for indies in getting Epic/Gamepass deals.

However, I also wanted to point to a comment made by a developer in the comments that went to GDC:

"This is a common sentiment and lacks some nuances, it's being spread around a lot but data-points show otherwise.

At GDC I spoke to 30+ publishers and every single one was funding at a median funding amount of 4m USD. I work in the sector and out of 12 titles we pitched, every single one had 2-6 follow-up offers, ranging from 200k to 7m.

Most of the layoffs to hit publishers did not impact their revenue, but met expectations of shareholders + investors in their entities to show growth or profitability. It was the only lever they had on the back of COVID growth periods, and no one could temper expectations without getting fired or massive hits to share prices.

The de-investments being announced (and more to come) actually add money back to publishers to shore up gaps in catalogues; most of whom are faced with huge shortages for 2025-2026. Every professional analyst/expert I know in the business side of games is projecting a huge rush during Q3 (Gamescom) to sign big-ticket games to cover the next 2-3 years.

A bigger 'con' is at play. Layoffs pre-GDC meant that veteran AAA teams only had enough time to form indies and get paper prototypes ready; they're getting snapped up at huge discounts when the sentiment is 'there is no money' - some people in those articles in the publishing side I have personally confirmed are looking for games to fund.

The due-diligence required to get games signed has returned to the pre-COVID levels; a lot of developers talking about this topic are reflecting on the ease at which games got signed during the easy-money period, forgetting the processes necessary prior to that.

If we talk only personal experiences, our most significant deals between 5-18m got signed between November and March, at the 'worst' of the doom-gloom scenario.

I have a lot of hope for indies, both big and small, and I don't want them to get into the mindset that they're lucky to get any deal. It just takes a bit more work to de-risk projects."

It kind of backs up what I've been saying before - much of these layoffs and everything are not because the industry is in some dire straits, it's because companies are simply reacting badly to normalization after the Covid boom and dont want to let the good times go. It's greed, not some necessary balancing act.

Communism sounds like the perfect model, but ultimately it's not. Capitalism might be better for some, but it's the problem of the planet right now, so maybe we need something else.

What a dishonest headline. The writer is blaming capitalism. Phil Spencer is just saying they need to get the industry back to growth. The arguments for/against capitalism are for the religion/politics thread, but holy shit the framing of that headline is terrible.

It kind of backs up what I've been saying before - much of these layoffs and everything are not because the industry is in some dire straits, it's because companies are simply reacting badly to normalization after the Covid boom and dont want to let the good times go. It's greed, not some necessary balancing act.
It's not greed. The big publishers have an obligation to their shareholders to make as much money as possible. Sometimes that means layoffs happen, as regrettable as that is.

What a dishonest headline. The writer is blaming capitalism. Phil Spencer is just saying they need to get the industry back to growth. The arguments for/against capitalism are for the religion/politics thread, but holy shit the framing of that headline is terrible.
this is the original source of the news.

A couple of quotes from that interview:

According to Spencer, the console market has not grown in the past year. Though Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo Switch consoles continue to sell, Spencer notes that many console gamers are simply upgrading — or, to put it another way, they’re not new to the market and won’t contribute to growth. And without new customers, “everybody else’s customer is your success state,” said Spencer. “You can’t succeed unless you draw in customers from other publishers and other platforms. And because you’re not finding new customers with the games that you’re building, everybody’s kind of fighting over the same-size pie.”

This cost is particularly prohibitive for exclusives that can only reach so many players. As Spencer explained in our conversation about the perils of exclusivity and walled-garden consoles, these games need to make additional money to justify the console maker subsidizing the cost of the console. As Spencer explained, “[The case for] exclusivity gets pressured as the cost of the game goes up.”

Last edited:
this is the original source of the news.

A couple of quotes from that interview:

This isn't helping with the framing of that headline. I'll help you out. "Capitalism" doesn't come out of Phil Spencer's mouth, but "growth" does. He talks of getting the industry back to growth to minimize the human cost, not switching economic systems. The pcgamer writer places the blame at capitalism, and the headline makes it sound like Phil Spencer did too. Again, I'm not going to get into an argument about capitalism in this thread, but the headline is completely dishonest.

Last edited:
Back