2008 anime recommendations thread

It has recently come to my attention that a new season of Full Metal Alchemist starts up in April. For that I am truly excited.
Wow. That just seems weird. It's difficult to imagine how they'll continue after they basically closed up the series.

Yeah apparently the first one never followed the manga other than the first few episodes or something...and this one is going to. I still look forward to it having never read the manga....

It's a reboot.
Ah, interesting, that makes sense. Makes me wonder where they're going to start. Will they just pick up where the anime and manga diverged, with a summary episode to start it off or something?

Because yeah, there's a heck of a lot of material in the manga that's not in the TV series and movie. The plots completely diverge fairly early on, and are entirely different on the nature of the homunculi, including some of their identities, as well as the identity and nature of Ed and Al's father. In fact, most of the background info is different in the manga from what it is in the series.

If it hasn't been mentioned before: Gankutsuou, an anime version of the Count of Monte Cristo set in the future. Although the ending is quite different, the rest of the story is fairly true to the story (aside from a few new story elements and some futuretech etc.). Plus, moreover, interesting visual style one of the best anime I've seen in quite a while.

Thanks for that recommendation Stefan...watched a few episodes of it so far and its quite awesome!

If you like the visual style, Mononoke (not Mononoke Hime) has a very similar style, though it is even more reduced.

I do like the visual style. Some of the backdrops are utterly gorgeous. Its a very interesting style visually and the story is intriguing of course. I couldnt stop myself from watching only a few episodes I think I watched 2/3rds of the show already lol. Only thing that stopped me from watching the whole thing was the fact that I had to wake up early for work :p

Watched Sky Crawlers in 1080p. Was an awesome looking anime though I didnt understand wtf it was all about. Still recommend checking it out. On the other hand I have been cracking up lately from episodes of Gintama.

Has anyone heard of DB and DBZ releases on bluray ? The movies are fantastic and I only have the original series and z on vhs. I'd love to pick it up on bluray

Has anyone heard of DB and DBZ releases on bluray ? The movies are fantastic and I only have the original series and z on vhs. I'd love to pick it up on bluray
You know, I can understand maybe wanting it on DVD. But something with the animation quality of DBZ in high def? What's the point?

You know, I can understand maybe wanting it on DVD. But something with the animation quality of DBZ in high def? What's the point?

Hehe agreed but Thoranime has it I believe. It would be fun to get back into DBZ :)

I started watching Casshern Sins yesterday in 1080p the first 3 episodes and I must say I like it!

What would be fun is if it was on Bluray but not in HD. They just put a whole season or half a seaon on one Blueray. Be nicer than having a ton of DVD's.

Regards,
SB

I remember reading that they are remaking DBZ in HD and it's going to be put into less episodes. I read the manga when I was a kid, but only seen bits of the anime and a couple of the movies. I might catch it when it is out.

Speaking of anime the last one I watched was Devil May Cry. What a piece of crap. I haven't seen a single anime since. I might watch Future Boy Conan again. Still my favorite series and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Speaking of anime the last one I watched was Devil May Cry. What a piece of crap. I haven't seen a single anime since. I might watch Future Boy Conan again. Still my favorite series and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

You are talking about the 12 episode series? Man I totally enjoyed that one. What didnt you like about it?

Yes, that's the one. What I didn't like about it? I am afraid to recall. The DMC games weren't really known for its story and the lines were cheesy but never take itself seriously as the whole package. The anime however was quite different. The action scenes were really lousy. It tried to take the story to another level but it just exposed how bad the DMC characters are. It also made me realized how bad anime can get. I haven't seen a single anime after that one and kind of put me off the future iteration of DMC series too, since I don't want to be reminded of that cluster of crap.

To Aru Majutsu no Index

Just finished the first season and I really liked it, but I have a feeling it's one of those that I'll love and Hanners will go "meh" about. ;) It's in the Shana no Shaka-type anime genre; boy has mysterious power he doesn't understand and meets mysterious girl who also has powers he doesn't understand who's being chased by mysterious baddies.

It's well done though, and I love the world they've created for it to go down in. A new take on the science versus magic scene, and I thought it was very well done.

Recommended. :)

Yep been following that show quite faithfully digi. I think they even said that the 'railgun' series is going to be released as well that should be interesting.

It does get a bit monotonous though with the main character rambling on and on about the right thing to do and all this heroic dialogue.

I quite enjoyed the Angel Fall arc where everyone was jumbled up. Had to LOL and nearly spray my cereal across my beautiful screen a couple of times...but good thing I didnt.

Viper's Creed I am sure I mentioned before is a great show. I recommend that.

Also another show I watched is called Gintama and its quite a good show actually. Recommend checking it out. 106 episodes out so far.

Just watched the pilot anime movie called The SKy Crawlers. Was very beautiful especially the flight sequences but if you dont know the manga then watching it might be a bit wtf.

Mitchiko to Hatchin is also another interesting show I have started watching. I still dont see the point of the show but i am assuming it will pick up more as the show progresses. I have been grabbing ThorAnime's releases and they are only on episode 6 so far.

ALso another very intriguing anime I picked up was Casshern Sins. Looks gorgeous in 1080p. Fights are pretty sweet. Somehow it reminds me a bit of Ergo Proxy? Esp the main character. Ergo Proxy was a very very weird show though.

I dropped Ergo Proxy ... too DEEP for me (as in philosophy + intentional vagueness).

I quite like Casshern Sins, although I haven't finished it ... so an unsatisfying ending might put a damper on that.

Back