2008 anime recommendations thread

I liked the first Occult Academy, but High School of the Dead left me flat...I'm just not in to zombies.

I haven't checked out any others yet, but I need to find a few new ones this season to follow....last season was too dry for me.

Just watched the first episode of Black Lagoon - Roberta's Blood Trail. Looks like it's going to be a 5 episode OVA. Was a fan of the first series, and so far this one looks like it should be pretty good. Only 5 episodes though. :(

Poopy thing with OVA's is they aren't weekly. This one is going to take until March of next year to finish up. All the waiting and cliffhangers. /sigh. :p

Regards,
SB

The director likes jiggling breast!
Link NSFW http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/07/11/i-want-jiggling-breasts-in-every-scene/

As for last season..
Heroman is actually pretty good. The story is nice, the fight is good... a bit too American-ish, but that is to be expected.
Hakuoki for me is one of the biggest surprise. I thought it would be bad and boring, but turns out better than expected.
The only one that really didn't live up to my expectation is Angel Beats.
Maid-sama is definitely a good fun... kinda have that Skip Beat vibe compared to Kimi ni Todoke as far as shoujo anime goes.
Working is one of the best clean comedy anime last season on par with K-On 2nd season.
Most of the ecchi stuff are also surprisingly good... Ichiban, Mayoi, B Gata.

As for this season...
Mitsudomoe.. Kinda like Kodomo no Jikan, but cleaner (not clean, just cleaner) and the comedy is more physical. Basically it's about kids (in elementary school) bullying their teacher. I can't stand to watch Kodomo no Jikan, but I have no problem watching Mitsudomoe, so it's definitely good for me :)
Ookamisan... this is a nice one. Kinda like Toradora with more action and less romance. And it has Kuroko VA (from Railgun) as the narrator, which is nice :)
Seitokai Yakuindomo... a comedy anime focused on the student council. It's shaping up to be the funniest anime this season. Sometimes the jokes are a bit naughty, but it's far from ecchi.
Shiki... hm... looks good, but it's difficult to judge this kind of anime based on 1ep alone.
Campanella... harem anime in a fantasy setting. 1st episode kinda so so, but 2nd one is good. The twins are really funny.
Amagami SS... if you like romance anime then this season you don't have any other choice. So far so good.
Legend of the Legendary Heroes (or preferably LoL Heroes :)... If you like Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, you probably will like this. It's an action anime with lots of comedy. So far it's less ecchi. Fantasy setting with the standard warrior, mage, etc.
Of course, other than that I also watch HSotD (Qwaser is winning the almost hentai action anime.. I really hope HSotD to be better than Qwaser. It's definitely more gory, just hoping the story can keep up ), Occult Academy (surprisingly good), SW2 and Sekirei 2.

Some anime that I need to mention...
2nd Evangelion movie (Evangelion 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance) is awesome! It's a lot different than the original, definitely more exciting than 1.11 (which is mostly a recap) and Mari is a badass.
Tales of Vesperia is very good. Much better than those other Tales animes.
Katanagatari... nice action anime, nice characters and Cheerio! :) Definitely a quality anime.

What I miss the most this past season is mecha anime... Where is that damn Gundam Unicorn 2nd ep? Yes, there's Heroman, but it's more like a monster anime than mecha. A couple of season ago we had Asura Cryin'... but again, it felt more like a monster anime than mecha. I want to watch a bunch of piloted robots fighting each other. Of course Evangelion is awesome, but I need more.

Did you see Durarara!! last season? I just checked it out and really liked it, it surprised me a lot.

Just getting around to Kuroshitsuji, (demon butler), and I'm liking it too. :)

Hahah, thanks for that link Rurouni, that made my day...

Currently we are constantly researching how to better portray realistically the jiggling breast.

I'm in the wrong line of work. :p

Thanks also for that list of Anime, going to have to check some of that out now that I'm mostly done with work for this year. One week til I head back to the states then back to the grind next spring. :p

Regards,
SB

Some anime that I need to mention...
2nd Evangelion movie (Evangelion 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance) is awesome! It's a lot different than the original, definitely more exciting than 1.11 (which is mostly a recap) and Mari is a badass.

Oh, yeah! I just got around to watching that last week. It is absolutely nuts. Lots of crazy shit happening, and it's diverged quite a bit from the series. The animation is just blisteringly gorgeous. They've moved things along so quickly, it's hard to believe we're only at the half-way point. Can't wait for 3.33.

Drrr is definitely good... but it started airing in the winter... Started kinda slow and a bit confusing, but still charming enough to made me watch it until the interesting part came.
From the winter season, along with Drrr I like Ladies Vs Butlers (ecchi comedy harem anime with great animation), Baka to Test (comedy with some ecchi bits, but mostly a good fun), Hanamaru Kindergarten (teacher and a bunch of kindergarten kids), Dance in the Vampire Bund, Qwaser (breast sucking anime?), Sora no Woto (comedy with some drama.. some episodes are good, some are boring.. but the last arc was nice).

I tend to avoid writing too much about continuation and sport. Kuroshitsuji, K-On!!, Sengoku Basara Two should be good if you like the previous one. Probably football (soccer) fans should watch Giant Killing (it's a normal football... you won't see tiger shot or anything like that :p Very good btw).

The Legend of the Legendary Heroes turns out to be more serious than the first episode indicate... It should still be good or even better.
Seitokai Yakuindomo jokes getting more perverted :)
Asobi ni Iku yo!... from the cover it looks like your regular ecchi anime with cat girl... turns out it's an ecchi anime with cat girl but with a surprising twist.

Finally got a chance to check out Occult Academy. First couple episodes were very good. The 4th episode however leaves me wondering if this will actually end up being a good anime.

One thing I really quite like about it is the way they use facial expressions. :) It's one of those things where a picture is worth a million words.

Regards,
SB

Back