2008 anime recommendations thread

Appleseed Ex Machina
Why can't they spend some money on a good script instead of just the animation budget? (The same lament applies to a lesser extent to Vexille, which had a salvageable story but the poorly introduced relationship storyline was just bad and I can't say I liked the latter half of the movie.) I actually thought the first Appleseed was better in this respect.

Just saw Paprika, now that's how an anime movie should be ... how did that not get an oscar in 2006 when there was only crap going against it? Hell, it didn't even get a fucking nomination.

If you haven't seen it, check it out.

Btw are we talking about series only or about any Anime?

Whatever you like.

Having finished Death Note, I recommend it wholeheartedly. It also has an amazingly good soundtrack, though the title and credits theme song that changes half way through the series is comically bad. Such great lyrics as
HEY HEY HUMAN SUCKER YEAH HUMAN FUCKER

I just finished Death Note yesterday. That is definitely awesome. The main characters have unbelievable supersmart schemer/deduction moments but it doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the series.

I'm just starting Death Note, on the second episode. The premise is absolutely wonderful - a boy finds a demonic book that kills anyone whose name is written in it. He of course intends to cleanse the world of evil.

I also finished watching The Eternity You Desire the other week for the third time. Lovely series which breaks my heart. I like a good short series that tells a complete story.

What are you watching?

I'm watching gundam 00, which obviously is about what happens when smart people have a lot of resources at their hand and plan far ahead into the future.

I'm also going to start watching Code Geass season 2 soon. That series is excellent, and so is the power of Geass that the protagonist, Lelouch gets. Many who've seen the first season know, how it shows cunning strategy in battles as well as power disparities and of course abuse of said power.

Higurashi season 1 and season 2 were some of the best recent stuff I've seen. Has an air of mystery to it, kind of like a detective series. It has the best series opening in quite a while too.

Last year Ergo Proxy, or "how the future of mankind will be"(conservatives would do well to watch it, as it is a glimpse, and a moderate one at that of the inevitable future) our future minus the bad things that happen in the series of course.

I never liked GitS:SAC much because of how freaking seriously the series took itself(although I do like the movies).

I'm finishing up Ergo Proxy. It's a methodical cyberpunk series with lots of exposition. It's complex so if you get frustrated from all the answers not being explained to you simply and clearly avoid.

And of course I have to mention Lain(more cyberpunk) and Berserk(very mature dark fantasy) in every anime recommendation thread. My two favorite anime series.

I agree with vazel's recommendations.

As for more lighthearted but cool series, I'd say the full metal panic series(fmp 1, fumoffu, 2nd), nadesico(ruriruri ;)), and kiddygrade.

I really hope they continue the Full Metal Panic series cuz it was just badass!

I do agree about Ex Machina. I bought it on Blu ray and was utterly disappointed with the story. It was pretty but boy was the story weak!

Right now I am watching Bleach and waiting for Gundam 00 the last 3 episodes to be released in awesome HD quality :)

I still have Death Note and Eureka 7 to watch. I will check out Higurashi as well!

I really hope they continue the Full Metal Panic series cuz it was just badass!

I do agree about Ex Machina. I bought it on Blu ray and was utterly disappointed with the story. It was pretty but boy was the story weak!

Right now I am watching Bleach and waiting for Gundam 00 the last 3 episodes to be released in awesome HD quality :)

I still have Death Note and Eureka 7 to watch. I will check out Higurashi as well!

I'm not sure if it was full metal panic, but I think it was, which has various manga or books already published with additional storyline. Which means just like berserk the story is likely there and just waiting for translation into another medium.

I would recommend you watch nadesico, if you watched and liked full metal panic, martian successor nadesico shares uncanny similarities and style and I believe it is an older series. I thought of full metal panic almost as a pseudosequel reinterpretation of nadesico.

I'm just getting ready to watch the final episode of Shakugan no Shana the Second Season, kind of a bitter-sweet feeling. I'm really looking forward to finding out how they wrap it all up, but I don't want it to end! :???:

Thought it worth mentioning that episode 26 just came out for Darker Than Black.

Up until yesterday everyone thought 25 was the last one.... :oops:

This is a insanely old series but I'm reading through Lone Wolf and Cub right now. Truly amazing. I believe the manga was first released in 1970 in japan but it didn't make it stateside until 2000 when darkhorse picked up anyways. Anyways highly recommended. My favorite manga series ever (although closely followed by berserk and gantz hehe).

This is a insanely old series but I'm reading through Lone Wolf and Cub right now. Truly amazing. I believe the manga was first released in 1970 in japan but it didn't make it stateside until 2000 when darkhorse picked up anyways. Anyways highly recommended. My favorite manga series ever (although closely followed by berserk and gantz hehe).

Lone Wolf and Cub is awesome stuff, indeed. The writer behind it went on the create quite a few classic manga series (Crying Freeman). There're also 6 live action film from the late 70ies (don't get "Shogun Assassin", it's the cut down english summary of the 6 movies).

If you need some nice manga recommendations, I can give you a pointer here and there :p

Brought this old thread back from the dead...Code Geass R2 is about to end and so is Macross Frontier. I have been downloading their 720p mkv versions like crazy and I must say I am enjoying them a lot. Especially the releases by a fansub group called menclave. Highly recommend checking them out.

Gundam 00 season 2 is going to start next month and I am looking forward to that as well. I am definitely grabbing the bluray versions of Macross F, Gundam 00 and Code Geass when they get released.

Also Nabari no Ou started out awesome but somehow it sorta died in the middle of the series. Still worth downloading and watching. Also finished watching Faffner and I definitely enjoyed it. Was extremely similar to Eureka 7.

Next up is Claymore. Also I have been watching Spiderman the Animated Series and my god its an enjoyable show! :)

Any other recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now I'm really enjoying Bleach and Naruto: Shippuuden. In the past I've really enjoyed:

Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Alchemist
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
DBZ
Eureka

Will have to see if any of the previous suggestions other people have made are available online...

Edit:

Oh! It's worth mentioning that in Naruto: Shippuuden, it's looking like a rather new interesting story arc has just begun, and in Bleach it's look like the current filler arc is just about over, so we should be started on a new story arc very soon! (side comment: for filler, this Bleach arc has been quite good, though the continuity with previous arcs is questionable)

Compared to Naruto filler arcs everything looks good.

The problem with series like Naruto and bleach is that after the first 2 seasons character development comes to a dead halt. Rukia is still secretly burning the same candle for Ichigo as always, Sasuke is still the same emo douche he always was, Naruto is still a tard. It gets tiresome.

lol I cant stand Sasuke. And Nartuo while hes supposed to be very strong fights like a retard in the anime. All he does is train but when the fights come around he somehow scrapes by.

That said I am definitely enjoying D. Gray Man a LOT. Its a lot better tbh than Bleach or Naruto.

You guys should look into it. Also Macross Frontier. I am really amazed that no one has mentioned that show. Its the best new anime I have seen in a while. The animation is stunning too!

Someone on these boards mentioned Macross Frontier somewhere. It's how I got turned onto the series. It looks stunning even in it's 720p x264 subbed format.

Back