2008 anime recommendations thread

I like DtB2 more than the 1.... :)
As for Eden of the East, they will end the story in the movie. There will be 2 movies which supposed to be a direct continuation of the anime.
For me, Bakemonogatari is one of the best anime this season. The story is unique, the characters have attitude, the graphic is beautiful, and the romance is great.

Also I started watching Bakemonogatari and I am not sure if it was recommended by someone in this forum or not...but I find it quite interesting so far. I have only seen 5 episodes of it so far though. Other than the girl being quite hot I am afraid, I still have yet to be completely sold by the show.
I found Bakemonogatari to be an exceptionally good series, and it's not quite over yet...they still have a few episodes that they'll release online.

As for East of Eden, what Rurouni said. Including about how fantastic it is. :)

I'm watching Clannad for some reason right now, and I'm on ep 12 of 24 and I still couldn't really tell you what it is about or if I love it or hate it. :???:

The only thing which looks really interesting to me is Katanagatari.

BTW, not exactly anime but Wakfu is pretty interesting to look at ... the animation feels like an upgraded version of Samurai Jack to me, it manages to be a lot more lively than the endless pans and non-animation in anime.

I like DtB2 more than the 1.... :)
As for Eden of the East, they will end the story in the movie. There will be 2 movies which supposed to be a direct continuation of the anime.
For me, Bakemonogatari is one of the best anime this season. The story is unique, the characters have attitude, the graphic is beautiful, and the romance is great.

I like Dtb2 don't get me wrong. I love how badass Hei is. And also I am loving his...not to go into details but his transformation and despite his obvious handicap he still is a badass! Somehow it seems like the show seems a bit rushed and Suou falling in love and all that is a bit crappy...taking away from the seriousness/mystery of the show. I am enjoying the soundtrack a lot too. I guess knowing that the show will be over real soon is stopping me from getting so interested haha. It just seems waaaaaaaaaay too short and it needs more Hei action. I really hope they continue the series because it has way more questions than answers at this point!

Bakemonogatari, I have only seen the 1080p releases and it is a fun albeit weird show. I definitely like the interaction between Hitagi and Araragi lol. I love how she is so direct and says some of the most ridiculous stuff with a straight face. I was thinking this was going to fall in to the shounen category but I get the distinct feeling its not. I like the shounen stuff cuz there's a lot of action :) but this is slightly different. I am still liking it though!

Bakemonogatari, I have only seen the 1080p releases
don't be tempted to watch the tv version... they fixed some stuff in most of the episodes and probably will fix a lot of stuff in (iirc) ep.11. FYI, they probably out of time/budget in that episode so they use a lot of text insert to fill the gaps (and unlike the intentional text insert, you can actually hear the characters talking... basically they've got the voice but not the animation).

Out of the current crop of Anime's running, I'm still enjoying Full Metal Alchemist the most. Darker than Black 2 is a bit up and down, we'll see where they are going with it.

Also started Fairy Tales. Amusing, light hearted comic relief. Not bad if you aren't expecting much. :p

And while not new, just finished Denno Coil, great series.

Regards,
SB

Well DtB2 finished up on Friday I think. Quite a let down. I guess now I am gonna try to catch up with One Piece!

The story itself was good, but the ending is just happening too fast. I thought it gonna be a 24-26 eps judging by the pace.

I was actually expecting 13 episodes. And think 13 would have made it a bit better, the last episode seemed so "rushed" and incomplete.

It has the feeling like they had more planned, but ran out of money...

Regards,
SB

And I'm now officially out of new animes to watch. :(

What/when is the next?

just go to Chartfag's

What kind of anime do you like to watch?

Durarara!!, Dance in the Vampire Bund, and Katanagatari will definitely be interesting.

I just watched Reform Without Wasted Draws – The Legend of Koizumi... funny short anime featuring some of the nation leaders.

If someone like mystery and murder (at least the 1st ep is like that, don't know about the 2nd one), there's Denpa Teki na Kanojo. It's an ongoing OVA.

Another OVA (originally a webcast, already finished) which I find interesting is Eve no Jikan. It's about androids going to a cafe that doesn't discriminate between human and android.

Heh, had to resurrect this thread even though the thread title is WAY out of date now. :D

But anyone else following Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood?

Getting down to the last few episodes now and my oh my what an ending. Animation style also changed a few months ago making it more dynamic.

But this ending. Gdamn nailbiter cliffhanger each week. :p Can't get enough of it. Action is just off the charts. Not sure what I'm going to do once it's over in about 3 more weeks I think.

Well, at least I won't be sitting here waiting for the next episode week after week as I have been for the past year+. :p

Definitely one of the best anime series ever. Puts the first series halfway based on the manga to shame.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, like, the last 15 episodes or so have been incredible, and they kept ratcheting things up. We're finally over the crest though, with only a single episode denouement left.

I read that they extended the series out to 66 episides, was originally going to be 64. So 4 more to go. I've only watched up to episode 62 so far.

I'm really interested to see how Greed plays out in this.

Regards,
SB

I read that they extended the series out to 66 episides, was originally going to be 64. So 4 more to go. I've only watched up to episode 62 so far.

I'm really interested to see how Greed plays out in this.

Regards,
SB
Isn't it supposed to play out like the manga? They just released the last chapter of that not long ago, so you can read it all if you like :)

Heh, I actually stopped following the manga in favor of the anime a while back. I'll be picking up the manga again once the anime series is over. :)

Having to choose knowing what's going to happen in the anime or manga, I basically decided I didn't want to know what was going to happen in the anime before I got to watch it. :D

[edit] whoope I was wrong, only 64 episodes after all. :p Man, this was some trip...

Regards,
SB

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that was an amazing journey. I can but wish that something like the Lord of the Rings trilogy could be treated to a 64 episode run like that. Maybe then someone would actually be able to do the books justice.

As good as the Peter Jackson films were, the movie trilogy was still a huge disappointment compared to the books. ~6 hours is just not enough. ~30 hours for a 64 or 66 episode run however might be able to do it. Ah wishful thinking.

Damn, now I don't know what to watch now that the series is over.

Regards,
SB

What we really need is a 180 episode adaptation of the Silmarillion!

Anyway, FMA: Brotherhood was really awesome. I think it surpasses the original in my mind, if only by grandeur. I still love the original series for its tighter thematic focus on the relationship between Ed and Al, but Brotherhood is telling a much bigger story.

Back