2 nice looking DS games

Corwin_B

Regular
Yes, in 3D :)

I recently received Mario Hoops 3 on 3 (3 on 3 basketball with Mario characters), developed by Square Enix, and I'm very impressed : the framerate is rock-solid, the characters and the environment are pretty well detailed, the fixed camera and good texture resolution means that there is very little texture pixelisation, and there are some nice effects going on (smoke, transparencies, reflections...).

mario-hoops-3-on-3-20060915060852460.jpg

mario-hoops-3-on-3-20060915060943209.jpg

Also I just got Starfox DS this morning. Terrain and ships are very nice, but explosions are a bit pixelated.

star-fox-command-20060818111122412.jpg

Anyway, it seems that DS framebuffer grabs are always looking very bad when compared to the actual graphics displayed (more aliasing...). Is there any kind of trick done at the hardware level between the framebuffer and the display, a bit like FSAA on the Voodoo5 wouldn't show in some screenshot apps ?

yep, i've been keeping a tab on starfox - it does look pretty well. from a fun POV, it seems to be one of thouse games you really need a good peer to play that with.

on a somewhat related note, i've been greatly enjoying metroid pinball 'versus' mode ever since i got a second DS in my house; the game's genre is of those of which you think at first 'how the hell would they make a good multiplayer out of this?', but it actually is a marvelous versus multiplayer - gives a great sense of a race.

oh, and the single-cart multiplayer helps here too : )

Back