1900XT vs GTX

geo said:
The problem is, the HIS X1900 you can actually buy at Newegg right now has the reference cooler.
They are different models. If you look at Overclockers, you can see the HIS XT and XTX models both with the reference cooler, and different HIS XT and XTX models with the ICEQ 3 cooler - all of them in stock.

I don't know why Newegg hasn't got it's act together, as usually it's Europe that has to wait a couple of extra months.

I didn't read through the whole thread so have no idea what's being discussed, but if it's just about what the title says, it's very simple. Really.

1. A single card config -> X1900
2. A dual card config -> 7900

For folks who want to run Crossfire, I'd strongly recommend to wait for mature platform from ATI, or alternatively, go with Intel 975X board.

Flip a coin.

Odds are extremely high you will be perfectly satisfied with either cards performance.

I would go off price personally.

Do not bother with SLi or Crossfire with these cards unless you game at 1600X and up with some level of both AA and AF. For the record, I use X1900s in Crossfire and do not regret the purchase one bit.

BTW the rumor that the X1900 Master card reduces XTX cards to its level is a BS myth. Do your research. The cards run async. All one need do it bump the Master card up to 650|775 to have XTX Xfire. Besides ATi stating this in their Xfire FAQ, both Hexus and X-bit labs have confirmed it. The MSI Master card I have is actually capable of 702|855 on stock voltage and cooling.

What does happen with Crossfire is the pipes are matched to the lowest card; so if one were to couple a X850 Master card(16 pipe) with a 12 pipe card then it would set itself to 12 pipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jawed said:

Actually, we have a bios on that board (XTX) that doesn't like to spin the fans all the way up and we can keep the board >90c. If we turn the fan to 65%, the board doesn't break 70. It's also a dev board and not a release board. I should also note that lapping the heatsink (as many others have pointed out) and using arctic silver helps drop the temps a few degrees C. Our release XTs with official bioses are doing better, but I'd like the fans to kick up faster and keep the boards <=70c. The XT's heatsinks still could use some lapping.

I wouldn't be that worried about running games as the stuff we do is "harder" on the hardware. We are also now running multi minute single pass shaders that are all ALU (40:1 compute/bandwidth ratios), and running the apps for *days* without stopping.

-Mike

lopri said:
I didn't read through the whole thread so have no idea what's being discussed, but if it's just about what the title says, it's very simple. Really.

1. A single card config -> X1900
2. A dual card config -> 7900

For folks who want to run Crossfire, I'd strongly recommend to wait for mature platform from ATI, or alternatively, go with Intel 975X board.
dual cards X1900... much much better at high aa modes.
The problem with ati chipsets is the usb controllor right?
so if you dont use a usb hdd/burner it's not an issue :?:

radeonic2 said:
dual cards X1900... much much better at high aa modes.
The problem with ati chipsets is the usb controllor right?
so if you dont use a usb hdd/burner it's not an issue :?:
Can ya even find a ATI sb MB rt now... a DFI... tho a 975x and a conroe is a goodlooking setup....

karlotta said:
Can ya even find a ATI sb MB rt now... a DFI... tho a 975x and a conroe is a goodlooking setup....

Well if anyone is setting up their pre-conroe system already just watch out that you dont pick up a 975X board thats not updated.

Although Intel claims that i975X chipsets as well as the not yet announced i965 chipsets should all support Conroe processors, the mainboards based on the former one that are available in stores these days may be incompatible with the promising CPUs. As we have already told you earlier the problem lies with the new modified voltage regulator circuitry that the mainboard need (to meet the VRM11 requirements). Luckily, the mainboard vendors decided to get ready for the upcoming processors in advance, so some of them are already able to offer the users their Conroe-ready solutions......

.......However, despite this fact there is not so much hope left that the owners of i975X based mainboards will ever be able to acquire Conroe support with a simple BIOS update. Looks like hardware modification is inevitable.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20060425175704.html

Althought anyone who knows intel chipsets well enough would expect something like this ;). I'm surprised they let 975X chipsets work at all.

Back