1080p HDR image better than 4k non HDR ?

That may be low on paper, but that TV produces awesome picture quality. 1500+ nits, awesome color gamut, good blacks.
Nearly 1900 nits on a 5% window;). it's truly glorious for HDR pictures.
It may, but I think that is among the areaa of the tech with the most room for improvement.
I don't think you'll ever see a FALD set featuring 8 million dimmable LEDs, the cost and tech are simply unpractical. That said you don't need this much LEDs to reach perfect black, human eyes at one point just can't effectively resolve the tiny details when a few pixels didn't turn on. But sure, more dimmable zones the better.

Guys and girls! I think I have fixed my uh6100 shitty blacks!

Usually the blacks are grayish bluish. Now it's totally black!

It's been like that since the electricity went kaput a few minutes ago. Gonna try it to play some awesome hdr games after the electricity back online.

I don't think you'll ever see a FALD set featuring 8 million dimmable LEDs, the cost and tech are simply unpractical. That said you don't need this much LEDs to reach perfect black, human eyes at one point just can't effectively resolve the tiny details when a few pixels didn't turn on. But sure, more dimmable zones the better.

There is a lot of room between 600 and 8 million.

Your tv was fixed by a lightning like in an 80's movie?

nah, i was trying to deliver sarcasm or joke or something... but i think it fell flat ... like... **SPLAT**

i do found a way to make the black looks blacker tho (still doesn't look black enough...)
  • make the room brighter
  • sit higher

There is a lot of room between 600 and 8 million.

And can't they put really bright LED display behind the LCD instead of edge lit it? (I'm thinking those running text LED but in much higher resolution and white colored).

Sure it will be more expensive but dunno how much.

And can't they put really bright LED display behind the LCD instead of edge lit it? (I'm thinking those running text LED but in much higher resolution and white colored).

Sure it will be more expensive but dunno how much.
Aren't you just describing FALD right there?

Aren't you just describing FALD right there?

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/local-dimming

ah yeah, i think you are correct.

so the LED array itself is cheap. Its the driver thats expensive?
because cheap old LED LCD used Full-array LED backlight.

or all of this is just a simple marketing ploy, so 2017 models can have incremental upgrade, and then 2018 model, etc....

EDIT:
i think the FALD itself is cheap. but TV manufacturers simply bundled FALD with high-end model. Thus resulting FALD TV have high price.

they afraid bringing FALD to all models will make higher-end TV less appealing.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uh6100

i just realized that my UH610T have much less clouding and much better uniformity than their review unit. Mine is fairly new tho, it is dated Oct 2016 on the box.

is this just a typical TV roulette or manufacturers usually revise their product and keep improving them without changing the product series/code/number? I know for a fact Sony does revise their playstation over time, but it always results in a new product series/code/number.

agh this friggin TV. after some more fiddling now real-life stuff generally looks fine (watched westworld and NHK). Animation still looks shitty. Video games still as bad as ever.

the 4K scaler does look good after some fiddling. Sure it still look a bit soft but it does look good.

anyway, the point is: wait for next year to jump into HDR on budget. IPS panel without local dimming is shit.

A TV model can come in multiple flavours. I know my TV model came with 3 or 4 different panels. All the review units sent out were the best panel... I didn't get the best panel - you'd have to see the serial code for that. TBH I came to the conclusion it was a case of being wilfully naive. Does it look good? Yep. Don't bother reading and trying to find the best tech because it's wayyyyy more trouble than it's worth when you start learning about different serial numbers and whatnot. Find something that reviews well and is recommended and is a good deal. :p

Reading this thread instead I came to the conclusion that ignorance is a blessing

maxresdefault.jpg

A TV model can come in multiple flavours. I know my TV model came with 3 or 4 different panels. All the review units sent out were the best panel... I didn't get the best panel - you'd have to see the serial code for that. TBH I came to the conclusion it was a case of being wilfully naive. Does it look good? Yep. Don't bother reading and trying to find the best tech because it's wayyyyy more trouble than it's worth when you start learning about different serial numbers and whatnot. Find something that reviews well and is recommended and is a good deal. :p

I guess I won the panel lottery haha :D

I should be feeling good but I'm not :/ the black is too shitty.

Ah.. I guess I'll get used to it in a week or two... Because I'll be drowning myself in ffxv with HDR :D (hey it looks as shitty as SDR but at least there should be some kind of placebo effect seeing it activated in the option and in the TV upper right corner for a few secs everytime I changed the inputs)

Unfortunately now that I've had more time to test my new TV, I'm starting to see experience the negatives of it and yeah sure enough unlike I first felt, many of the darker scenes prove to be too much of a challenge to this edge lit tech. This mainly manifests itself in HDR-mode where you kind of have to keep the backlight at max power and too often if there is light and dark in a scene, it just destroys the backlighting and kills the contrast. I've been playing Infamous: First Light and seen some atrocious stuff there.

Man it's such a bummer, because 80% of the time the picture looks perfect... and it can actually handle quite a few situations very well, but too often I'm just letdown by it...I think it's fair to say that many of the doubts people said to me were correct. Yeah this size is probably too much for the tech, when it's already compromised in smaller sizes also. My friends 55" does not suffer from these issues nearly to the same margin.

I think I'll return it and purchase something else next year.

Unfortunately now that I've had more time to test my new TV, I'm starting to see experience the negatives of it and yeah sure enough unlike I first felt, many of the darker scenes prove to be too much of a challenge to this edge lit tech. This mainly manifests itself in HDR-mode where you kind of have to keep the backlight at max power and too often if there is light and dark in a scene, it just destroys the backlighting and kills the contrast. I've been playing Infamous: First Light and seen some atrocious stuff there.

Man it's such a bummer, because 80% of the time the picture looks perfect... and it can actually handle quite a few situations very well, but too often I'm just letdown by it...I think it's fair to say that many of the doubts people said to me were correct. Yeah this size is probably too much for the tech, when it's already compromised in smaller sizes also. My friends 55" does not suffer from these issues nearly to the same margin.

I think I'll return it and purchase something else next year.
So you wouldn't recommend the Samsung KS9000 -sorry if I am mistaken and misunderstood you- which is your current 4K TV? It costs around 2000€, I am surprised by the fact that you aren't finding it satisfactory at all.

I am going to wait til next year too. First, I don't have the money now to buy a new TV without great sacrifices, and 4k content isn't as common as of now, although I can't wait to watch some movies at 4K Ultra HD.

This Sony TV (Sony XBR43X800D) surprised me in a good way. It costs 590€...it has a 90% of P3 colour gamut and it is a 10 bit HDR panel at a great price!!

My only gripe is the 33ms input lag, which for my gaming maximum precision needs might be a bit in the high side?

Plus it has a 43" model, which is fine for the size of my room.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d

Anybody got a problem where HDR mode have crushed whites? And generally too much contrast?

I have tried fiddling with the brightness and contrast option but it's still crushing the whites.

And also inconsistent backlight?

Probably because my TV doesn't have local dimming so it simply dim the whole screen on dark scenes and brighten in daylight scenes?

It did it smoothly enough tho. So no jarring changes.

But my eyes felt like burning with so many shiny outdoor gameplay in FFXV.

This Sony TV (Sony XBR43X800D) surprised me in a good way. It costs 590€...it has a 90% of P3 colour gamut and it is a 10 bit HDR panel at a great price!!

My only gripe is the 33ms input lag, which for my gaming maximum precision needs might be a bit in the high side?

Does 4k beneficial enough for 43 inch and your viewing distance tho?

I sit pretty close to the screen. So I got 49 inch 4k for 1 meter viewing distance. I simply tested it on the TV showroom by walking away 1m and seeing the pixel of 1080p. Thus I got 4k (more like 3k for this uh610t tv)

I think there is a graph someone posted in this thread.

The peak brightness numbers for this set are not good, though.

Back