1080p HDR image better than 4k non HDR ?

Can't speak to how well it works for games, but 3D for movies always looks like an animated "Viewmaster" to me with objects in a scene being flat planes at different levels of depth. I've never found the look very appealing.

It depends on the movie, some movies, especially 3d animated ones can look like they have actual volume. Others can have gimmicky objects that appear to float outside the screen or come at you and feel like actual real world objects. In 3d games if the depth is set high(3d vision menu for example), it looks like a living diorama with rich volume, feeling like actual objects are in there, as if it was a window to another world. I've only been able to try the demo on the playstation tv, with a hack to enable compatibility(think I used league and star craft, though league is too fast paced to do so comfortably.), and also with gran turismo on ps3. I don't recall exactly what software I used, but the 3d tv play seems to be limited to 720p, too low imho. Not sure but heard tridef supports 3d 1080p and maybe 3d vision does so too, need to find more info.

In any case it is quite impressive when it does work.

Can't speak to how well it works for games, but 3D for movies always looks like an animated "Viewmaster" to me with objects in a scene being flat planes at different levels of depth. I've never found the look very appealing.
AFAICS most of them have 3D added as a post effect, so they literally are layered cut-outs.

I was searching for a low price 4k just for hdr.
When I've understood that doesn't exist, started searching for a good FHD with perfect contrast and color reproduction at less than 500€.
When I've understood that doesn't exist, started reading at night.
Then a familiar said stop with your paranoia and take this samsung 5100.
Now I don't read and play halo reach: I will die ignorant but with good reflexes.

AFAICS most of them have 3D added as a post effect, so they literally are layered cut-outs.
will clarify, as it could be misinterpreted, that this comment seems to refer to most movies, which are often postprocessed cut outs as mentioned. Games are almost always rendered from different view points, creating TRUE 3d.

AS for 4k HDR with low latency, OLED is going to likely drop in price over the coming years, and next year tvs will likely address the latency issue as there's been lots of online complaints. I'm hopeful we might get near 1000$ this coming year.

will clarify, as it could be misinterpreted, that this comment seems to refer to most movies, which are often postprocessed cut outs as mentioned. Games are almost always rendered from different view points, creating TRUE 3d.

AS for 4k HDR with low latency, OLED is going to likely drop in price over the coming years, and next year tvs will likely address the latency issue as there's been lots of online complaints. I'm hopeful we might get near 1000$ this coming year.
Ha I dont know how they do it but I remember that it strack me as odd when in Avatar even photographs in the movie had a 3D stereoscopic effect. Do they use some kind of automation (and forgot to exclude the content in the photographs) to create 3D stereoscopic?
I remember that Avatar was hyped to be a movie directed with 3D in mind.

I tend to agree with regard to films, but have you tried the Jim Carrey voiced version of A Christmas Carol? That's a film I can watch again and again in 3D. Extremely well done.

An interesting comment and discussion in Neogaf few months earlier but I realized just know. I guess same applies to PS4|PS4Pro also that games use rec709+hdr and media playback use more colorfull dci-p3/rec2020+hdr gamut. Games use the same number of different colors as displays always supported but pixel's brightness component may use a wide range. Or something.

Is HDR10 always YUV4:2:0 color compression even an ultrahd blurays and streaming media?
edit: Yes, ultrahd bluray mastering use 4:4:4 but distribution in a disc use 4:2:0. Streaming media I'm not sure maybe more options but safe guess 4:2:0 also.

(neogaf)about HDR color gamut in Xbox One S
- - -
@digital Foundry: Are you using the wider colour gamut (DCI P3) for HDR-enabled titles?
@Albert Penello: Not currently. We are not supporting WCG for games in Xbox One S. We are supporting the wider Bt.2020 color gamut in Xbox One S for media, however.
- - -
@ajmiles: There seems to be some confusion around the relationship between WCG, HDR and bit depth. A wider colour gamut (e.g. Rec2020) allows for a greater ranger of colours to be represented that are not necessarily any brighter than you're used to in the past. Whereas Rec709 can display around 35% of all the colours the human eye can see, Rec2020 pushes this up to around 75%.

HDR could, in theory, be used in conjunction with any colour gamut. It's this that allows for "darker darks and brighter whites", not an expanded range of colours (that comes from using a wider colour gamut). In practice however, when HDR is sent to a UHD TV it'll be in the Rec2020 colour space. This is why your TV must support Rec2020 and HDR in order for HDR to function.

HDR is something that requires at least a 10-bit signal. Whereas 'white' in SDR was standardised at 100 nits, the brightest value in HDR10 is 10,000 nits. Without a 10bit signal you'd have significantly reduced precision in many areas of the image relative to 8-bit SDR and this would lead to more banding.

Whether your TV is an 8-bit or a 10-bit panel or not matters very little, so long as it supports receiving a 10-bit signal. 8-bit panels that support HDR will either dither nearby colours together to approximate the missing colours or it'll flash those same colours to achieve the same effect.

It's not true to say that there's no point in doing HDR without exploiting the wider colour gamut available on UHD TVs. HDR allows a film/game to send deeper blacks while also being able to display whites many times brighter than before, allowing for a more natural looking image. Supporting a wider color gamut gives you colours you've never seen before on a TV, but if a film or game doesn't exploit the wider colour gamut of Rec2020 that doesn't invalidate the support or effect of HDR.

Last edited:
alas 3D seems dead,forever, in home screens --I have a 3DTV, in fact.

All Sony's TV models from 2017 are going to be HDR compatible, including the HD Ready and Full HD ones.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sony-bravia-tv-series-model-numbers-explained

Make that
"All Sony's TV models from 2017 are going to be HDR compatible, including the HD Ready and Full HD ones, and the ones with 8 bit panels as well as the ones with edge lit backlighting and the ones with less than 400nits brightness."
Which is a shame as they will damage the perception and meaning of HDR

Citation needed

Technically they could get away with it,
the source is 24/30fps, that's >30ms frame time , internal refresh is 8ms, so that's enough "FRC" time for +2 bits. Again at 60fps with 4ms internal.
Practically, well... They got away a lot of the time already. :D

Well, I now have a 4k HDR Screen. Forza Horizon 3 looks fantastic. But I'm not sure if it is because of the HDR feature, or because of the 10 Bit color-output
There are much more details visible on the car, tracks etc.

Back