1080p HDR image better than 4k non HDR ?

how do you calibrate HDR display?

i fiddled with contrast, brightness, color.

but contrast and brightness did diddly squat to the white and black crush. changing the RGB range to full/limited also did nothing unusual (wrong setting makes picture washed out).

changing color only made the picture less saturated or more saturated. The colors itself still looks fake (e.g. skin looks like pastel colored)

Take a look at the Samsungs and pre 2012 models. The plasma comparison link are all pretty much best in class models. full array local dimming leds can represent a wider range of content in a wider range of viewing environments. For example, playing no man's sky on my g25 looked muddy and dull when the bright sky covered more then half the screen due to the aggressive ABL. With the lights off no problem, but any other way it severely impacted the image quality. I can handle a little bias lighting and slightly higher black levels compared to an image that has pumping brightness levels. I'm simply stating an appreciation for the improvements LCDs have made

how do you calibrate HDR display?

i fiddled with contrast, brightness, color.

but contrast and brightness did diddly squat to the white and black crush. changing the RGB range to full/limited also did nothing unusual (wrong setting makes picture washed out).

changing color only made the picture less saturated or more saturated. The colors itself still looks fake (e.g. skin looks like pastel colored)

I'm using hdr10 test patterns to calibrate from the usb media player, and a corrected display pro 3 colorimeter with updated HCFR software

I'm using hdr10 test patterns to calibrate from the usb media player, and a corrected display pro 3 colorimeter with updated HCFR software
where can i download it?

i tried calibrating HDR by doing this

- running FFXV in HDR mode, thus PS4 home screen also runs in HDR.
- opens rtings calibration patterns for whites and blacks and colors

Try
R.Masciola's UHD/HDR-10 Test Pattern Suite

IMG_20161202_010836.jpg

where can i download it?

i tried calibrating HDR by doing this

- running FFXV in HDR mode, thus PS4 home screen also runs in HDR.
- opens rtings calibration patterns for whites and blacks and colors
To properly calibrate a TV, you need a decent colorimter (cheaper) or spectrometer, paired with software (CalMAN, Chromapure, HCFR, Lightspace etc.), as well as test patterns. Without a meter, all you can really adjust is the basic stuff like Brightness, Contrast, or Color/Tint if your display has a built in color filter mode.

You can find perfectly usable test patterns and software like the ones Aaron suggested for free (edit: I guess Mascior is charging for his discs now. Worth it, but didn't know). The absolute cheapest colorimeter I would recommend is the i1 Display Pro/3. Anything cheaper is next to useless on its own IMO.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...98-r-masciola-s-hdr-10-uhd-test-patterns.html
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hcfr/files/Windows/

There's a lot to learn though, and since HCFR is free, there's not much hand-holding compared to pay software like CalMAN or Chromapure. There's a lot of info in the Display Calibration section at AVSForum though.
Take a look at the Samsungs and pre 2012 models. The plasma comparison link are all pretty much best in class models. full array local dimming leds can represent a wider range of content in a wider range of viewing environments. For example, playing no man's sky on my g25 looked muddy and dull when the bright sky covered more then half the screen due to the aggressive ABL. With the lights off no problem, but any other way it severely impacted the image quality. I can handle a little bias lighting and slightly higher black levels compared to an image that has pumping brightness levels. I'm simply stating an appreciation for the improvements LCDs have made
Those numbers in the link you posted are all over the place because there's no consistency in terms of meters used. I even informed others when that thread was posted to take them with a pinch of salt (my username is 'rahzel' at AVSForum). The only measurements that will be accurate are the ones taken in a dark room, preferably with a Klein K-10 Colorimeter, one of the most accurate meters at low luminance. All measurements I've seen taken with a Klein put the 2012 Panasonic Plasmas at ~10,000-13,000:1, and 2013 Panasonic Plasmas/9G Kuros ~20,000-30,000:1 (or better).

IMO, a good plasma is capable of more than enough brightness for all but the brightest rooms. But of course, everyone has different preferences.

Panasonic improved their screen filters in 2011 or 2012 to help with the picture quality in bright rooms. They cause less of 'milky' or washed out picture. They also significantly increased the contrast with brighter whites and significantly deeper blacks, pulling way ahead of LCDs in that regard. 2012 in particular was a breakout year.

Personally, there isn't anything out there right now that justifies upgrading my plasma (that I could comfortably afford anyway), even if it's only 1080p and lacks HDR.

Last edited:
@djskribbles i don't mean a real profesional calibration tho. i just need to calibrate the basic stuff like no crushed black and white. something like that.

gonna try that free pattern.

@djskribbles @Aaron Elfassy

is there HDR for these things?

http://www.rtings.com/images/gradient.png
http://i.rtings.com/images/test-materials/2015/101_Brightness.png
http://i.rtings.com/images/test-materials/2015/102_Contrast.png

or i can use that while displaying in HDR mode?
because i have calibrated using that in HDR mode and in FF XV, it still clips the dark and bright places. weird.

and i still unable to properly calibrate the color at all.

Clipping is most likely impossible to eliminate on your display, as the image processing may be pushing up the whites to increase the brightness and perceived contrast - and crushing the peak values of brightness. Lower your contrast value until you can see the last values on this website:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

A neat trick is to do the same tweaks from the ps4 web browser while youre playing a game in hdr mode. The output will stay in hdr while you're using the browser and you can check for clipping whites with that web URL. ;)

Otherwise you need a good colorimeter, and test patterns with hdr10 Metadata that test for the p3 color gamut in rec 2020 output

Clipping is most likely impossible to eliminate on your display, as the image processing may be pushing up the whites to increase the brightness and perceived contrast - and crushing the peak values of brightness. Lower your contrast value until you can see the last values on this website:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

A neat trick is to do the same tweaks from the ps4 web browser while youre playing a game in hdr mode. The output will stay in hdr while you're using the browser and you can check for clipping whites with that web URL. ;)

Otherwise you need a good colorimeter, and test patterns with hdr10 Metadata that test for the p3 color gamut in rec 2020 output

yeah i did all my HDR calibration using PS4 browser while running FFXV in HDR.

i gave up tho. Its impossible to fix the crush however i fiddle with brightness and contrast.

i contacted LG support for a bug report of HDR clipping (because it didnt clip in SDR, just in HDR) and weird color artifacts in the built-in media player (fixed after pausing and resuming). But they says they want to send a technician. They doesn't accept bug report.

what the hell LG -___-

i gave up tho. Its impossible to fix the crush however i fiddle with brightness and contrast.

i contacted LG support for a bug report of HDR clipping (because it didnt clip in SDR, just in HDR) and weird color artifacts in the built-in media player (fixed after pausing and resuming). But they says they want to send a technician. They doesn't accept bug report.

what the hell LG -___-

Did you ever try Rtings settings? They probably won't be perfect due to every panel being slightly different and diffrent viewing environment, etc., but might make for a good starting point.

because i have calibrated using that in HDR mode and in FF XV, it still clips the dark and bright places. weird.

Tbh, I've been out of the loop in terms of HDR calibration since I haven't invested in one yet. But I believe you can.

Are you sure it's actual clipping, or is it just crushing the detail? If it's clipping then there's not much you can do. If it's crushing the detail, it can be recovered by adjusting certain settings. Also is your RGB range on your PS4 matching your display?

I'm not sure what gamma games are mastered to, but the standard most use for film is SMPTE ST 2084. Gamma is essentially the brightness between black and white. It's possible your gamma is simply off. In order to calibrate gamma, you need a meter and software/test patterns that support this standard.

Last edited:

what the hell LG -___-

my display clips whites dynamically if local dimming is turned on for SDR. Its super weird, as local dimming shouldn't effect the grayscale gradient as it does. But its not needed in my case I have no issues with black level for SDR content. Maybe you can try turning off any dynamic backlight or dimming features. LG has generally had good working controls with their displays, historically speaking. Another option is using a different HDMI input and/or disabling game mode. As well, make sure gamma is set to smpte st 2084 or 2.2 to default - and you can also try switching the black level setting from light to dark/ or vise versa. That should pretty much cover all of your options.

Some use it the same. I personally use clipped when the data is not recoverable, and crushed if the data is not visible but can be adjusted so that it is. Sometimes data is not visible no matter what you do.

What TV do you have? As someone suggested, you might want to try rtings' settings if they have reviewed your model. I generally advise against this as it can sometimes make things worse. But if your TV has multi-point gamma controls, it might help with your gamma curve a bit to recover some detail, or make it more visible.

Without a meter, unfortunately there's not much you can do. If you had a meter and your TV has multi-point gamma controls (usually in 10 or 20 points) you can fine tune the gamma curve so that it lines up with the SMPTE 2084 EOTF. This can greatly help with shadow detail and white detail if the gamma is way off.

Try
R.Masciola's UHD/HDR-10 Test Pattern Suite

IMG_20161202_010836.jpg

Thanks for posting your setup :) I have to say though that a scene like that still doesn't give my TV huge problems either. It needs to be quite a bit darker still. Funny that I decided I'll try to find that exact location, only to find I was already standing a mere meters away from the same spot! My LG G3 does not take too great pictures in bad lighting conditions, but the lightbleed is pretty much ok here, and this is also with max backlight.

sam1.jpg

test images from rtings are bit misleading, why they marked RGB value of 0 as 16 ... it looks like the only way to calibrate HDR is to play some calibration video, since we don't have 10 bit graphics format like png, bmp, etc.

really neat trick if it isn't bugged, in early PS4 days web browser refused to display full range RGB even when PS4 was set to Full range. Now it is fixed (I think), but nowadays I do calibration from the media player.

Back