1080p games and tv's

DR1 isn't a third person shooter, it's more like a zombie sandbox game set in a mall. There's a fair bit of text in it because of dialogue and menu items.

Edit: it was also quite the early X360 game, released in the first year of the console. Considering that Epic released data around the time of ol' Gears of War 2 indicating that some 40-70% of people were still using SDTVs, and that was years after DR1, well...

All PS3 games are REQUIRED to support SD televisions.
i.e. The developer has to do the work to make it work.

Yup, for example FF 13 on PS3. If you play it on SDTV, the game runs on SD and higher frame rate without vsync.

Tearing everywhere :/

But i cant remember its only happend on FF13 demo or FF13 final retail.

DR1 isn't a third person shooter, it's more like a zombie sandbox game set in a mall. There's a fair bit of text in it because of dialogue and menu items.

Edit: it was also quite the early X360 game, released in the first year of the console. Considering that Epic released data around the time of ol' Gears of War 2 indicating that some 40-70% of people were still using SDTVs, and that was years after DR1, well...

Moreover, the gameplay was against the clock and you were in a hurry all the time. You were given scoops, missions, objectives all the time and you had a permanent feeling of frustration not being able to complete all of them, the thing is that text in sd was almost unreadable, so you were lost.

Don't worry davros I won't tell the PC guys I found you posting in the console forum. Your secret's safe with me ;)

Regarding your question, I don't expect devs to go out of there way with next gen consoles to support SDTVs. Doing so could impact overall game design, especially RPG like games where there are lots of menus and text.
It isn't worth gimping your entire game for the SDTV crowd who can't afford a $400 console anyway.

If sdtv output res = 480, font size = 64

Doesn't exactly gimp the experience for others, not really sure what should be difficult about supporting low res output especially if they use the display planes.

Yeah, it the UI design that's a nuisance. Have to design the interface to work with 4:3 SDTVs, 16:9 SDTVs, and 16:9 HDTVs. That's 3x as much design and testing versus just designing for HD.

Just letterbox sdtv. You're trying to make the games playable for them, you don't need to go to the wall for the minority.

Most UI changes shouldn't be too hard although there are some awful UIs that should be changed regardless of output res.

Knowing Davros I assume that his best display is connected to his PC. I'm pretty sure that you would be able to connect next-gen consoles to that display in a very similar manner.

Back