10-Step Security for your Computer

radeonic2 said:
again the only thing that degrades is performance.
Not stabilty:oops:

tell that to the lady who one day went to use her computer and the system fonts had decided to disappear, just a bunch of squares where letters should be

Sage said:
tell that to the lady who one day went to use her computer and the system fonts had decided to disappear, just a bunch of squares where letters should be
Obviously she got a virus.
See dude.
Every example you give of windows being shitty is the cause of not keeping windows updates or not having a proper virus scanner.
Or perhaps her HDD was shit.

radeonic2 said:
Obviously she got a virus.
See dude.
Every example you give of windows being shitty is the cause of not keeping windows updates or not having a proper virus scanner.
Or perhaps her HDD was shit.

afraid not. XP, SP2, virus scanner up-to-date, after finally fixing the problem by going into the registry and deleting/adding the entry that points to the system fonts (dont remember anymore exactly which registry entry it was, sorry) and restored use to the system I ran several virus scanners. Nothing turned up. I did a search online and couldn't find any viruses that caused this specific behaviour. She had all of her windows updates. She had adaware and spybot S&D already on her computer, apparently someone had already shown her how to update them and scan once a month. Her system was in otherwise great condition (except for all of the dell crap that is automatically installed and is in system startup). The problem never came back, I could never find a logical explaination of why it happened. There are countless problems like this, I had to deal with them every single day.

Sage, you seem to be the type that thinks he knows how to keep a computer well kept, but has no clue. Meh.

I'm like that too.
I open up e-mail attachments when I should know better. :LOL:

Skrying said:
Sage, you seem to be the type that thinks he knows how to keep a computer well kept, but has no clue. Meh.

Skrying said:

you're right, all of the idiots get hired by Perot :rolleyes:

Sage said:
you're right, all of the idiots get hired by Perot :rolleyes:
hahah.
Clinging to "perot systems"
Obviously they're not that good if they hired you.
It's now what you know, it's who you know;)

radeonic2 said:
Obviously they're not that good if they hired you.

this seems to disagree...

Plano, Texas – Oct. 27, 2005 – Perot Systems Corporation (NYSE: PER) announced today that it has been ranked first among technology companies in the 2005 InformationWeek 500 corporate rankings of most innovative users of information technology. The company ranked 6 th among all companies in all categories – up from 52 nd last year. The annual InformationWeek 500 evaluates and ranks the top 500 corporations in terms of the power of innovation in information technology, rather than simply identifying the biggest IT spenders.

...and I remember once when we were having a job fair, when I left work that evening at 5:00 there was litterally a line of cars over a mile long of people waiting to get in.... the line of people waiting at the door was over 1/4 mile long... I remember my boss telling me the next day that at, i think it was 9:00, they just had to close the doors and turn away everyone still waiting because there were just too many people. Perot is the place[/] if you want to work in the IT industry. Everyone wants to work there. Just getting into the building is an acheivement in itsself.

You have demonstrated in this thread you level of knowledge is not up to par with the rest of us.
If you wanna go around tellin people your some kind of computer genius to make your self feel better, go ahead, but we know better than you believe you.

radeonic2 said:
You have demonstrated in this thread you level of knowledge is not up to par with the rest of us.
If you wanna go around tellin people your some kind of computer genius to make your self feel better, go ahead, but we know better than you believe you.

oh really? now where exactly have I done that? you have yet to show any technical knowledge beyond stating "you're wrong, windows is just fine"

any 12-year-old who reads PC Gamer regularly (are they even around still? haven't looked at a gaming mag in years) could have spouted the same stuff you have. Not that I think you're 12 or have zero actualy knowledge of PC's but you certainly haven't demonstrated it.

Sage said:
oh really? now where exactly have I done that? you have yet to show any technical knowledge beyond stating "you're wrong, windows is just fine"

any 12-year-old who reads PC Gamer regularly (are they even around still? haven't looked at a gaming mag in years) could have spouted the same stuff you have. Not that I think you're 12 or have zero actualy knowledge of PC's but you certainly haven't demonstrated it.
Er... whatever you say.
I dont have a problem with windows xp because I actually know how to operate my computer competently, something you seem to have problems with and like to blame windows for as much as you can.
I dont read computer magazines either.
Where have I exactly written down in a post all that I know about computers?
All I've been saying is that my windows box doesn't randomly take a shit or get loaded with spyware and viruses.
The only conclusion you can draw is I know enough not go around getting spyware and virruses.
You say you have problems with windows taking dumps and such.
The only conclusions I can draw from that is that either you're a dumbass or you have really shitty luck.
I'm going with the former:D

Last edited by a moderator:
radeonic2 said:
Er... whatever you say.
I dont have a problem with windows xp because I actually know how to operate my computer competently, something you seem to have problems with and like to blame windows for as much as you can.
I dont read computer magazines either.
Where have I exactly written down in a post all that I know about computers?
All I've been saying is that my windows box doesn't randomly take a shit or get loaded with spyware and viruses.
The only conclusion you can draw is I know enough not go around getting spyware and virruses.
You say you have problems with windows taking dumps and such.
The only conclusions I can draw from that is that either you're a dumbass or you have really shitty luck.
I'm going with the former:D

I can tell you why you dont have problems- because you reformat so often. If I wanted to do that then sure, I could go pretty-much problem-free. But having to reformat once every year or two is something I consider a major problem.

Sage said:
I can tell you why you dont have problems- because you reformat so often. If I wanted to do that then sure, I could go pretty-much problem-free. But having to reformat once every year or two is something I consider a major problem.
Well I only format when windows starts slows down , which i acknowledege as a problem, or when i change hardware.
I've also formated to check out windows 2003 a few times.
Makes a good desktop os, too bad you have to modify lots of game installs so it doesn't ask for windows xp and also I had a problem with videos now working right.
I would get a blank screen unless I disabled hardware accel.
And once in a blue moon I try out some nix versionss.

radeonic2 said:
Well I only format when windows starts slows down , which i acknowledege as a problem, or when i change hardware.

ahh, you see... if you didn't reformat every time you changed hardware or it started to slow down then pretty soon you would start experiencing problems. of course, there are still plenty of problems that people have that just pop up randomly. But, mostly, you're avoiding all of the big problems because you reformad before the OS degrades enough that you start getting problems out the wazoo.

I've also formated to check out windows 2003 a few times.
Makes a good desktop os, too bad you have to modify lots of game installs so it doesn't ask for windows xp and also I had a problem with videos now working right.
I would get a blank screen unless I disabled hardware accel.
And once in a blue moon I try out some nix versionss.
you should get partition magic so that when you want to try out something new you just resize your working partition, install the new OS, when you get tired of it then you just delete that partition and resize your xp partition again. well, actually, now that I think about that it's not worth your troubble because you seem to have no adversion to reformatting. For my personal use, I will go through weeks of work to avoid reformatting because I spend so much time getting things set up just the way I like them that starting anew is faaaaar too much work. Which, I suppose, is why I like my mac so much- everything works perfectly for me just how I want it to work straight out of the box, no tweaking neccesary.

Sage said:
ahh, you see... if you didn't reformat every time you changed hardware or it started to slow down then pretty soon you would start experiencing problems. of course, there are still plenty of problems that people have that just pop up randomly. But, mostly, you're avoiding all of the big problems because you reformad before the OS degrades enough that you start getting problems out the wazoo.
Well I mean like when I got my 6600GT I fomated just to be safe, and when changing chipsets it's mandatory (something you cant do with a mac ;)

you should get partition magic so that when you want to try out something new you just resize your working partition, install the new OS, when you get tired of it then you just delete that partition and resize your xp partition again. well, actually, now that I think about that it's not worth your troubble because you seem to have no adversion to reformatting. For my personal use, I will go through weeks of work to avoid reformatting because I spend so much time getting things set up just the way I like them that starting anew is faaaaar too much work. Which, I suppose, is why I like my mac so much- everything works perfectly for me just how I want it to work straight out of the box, no tweaking neccesary.
I had a bad experience with parition magic... ended up losing my whole drive.
Well you can make drive images with norton ghost so you like boot from tthe software cd and copy the drive image to your hdd.
Does take time to make images and extract them but it does make everything the way you want it.
Since I partition my drive I should next time I format for an upgrade once I get the way I like it and have all the apps I need for my windows parition (only 5GB worth ehehe) make a disk image.
I've only used the software to rearrange my drive setup.

radeonic2 said:
Well I mean like when I got my 6600GT I fomated just to be safe, and when changing chipsets it's mandatory (something you cant do with a mac ;)

yeah I know I can't change chipsets with my Mac but how many laptops can you change chipset on?

And, actually, it is not mandatory to reformat when changing chipset on XP. I've done it. In fact, I changed chipset AND HAL (ACPI single CPU to ACPI SMP) at once without reformat. You just have to do adequate preperation.

I had a bad experience with parition magic... ended up losing my whole drive.
Well you can make drive images with norton ghost so you like boot from tthe software cd and copy the drive image to your hdd.
Does take time to make images and extract them but it does make everything the way you want it.
Since I partition my drive I should next time I format for an upgrade once I get the way I like it and have all the apps I need for my windows parition (only 5GB worth ehehe) make a disk image.
I've only used the software to rearrange my drive setup.
ouch taht sucks with partition magic. I've used it countless times. My problem with getting everything configured is I'm talking about windows itsself.

I've changed pretty much everything in the PC without reformatting in Windows 2000 (I haven't had XP long enough to try...).

Back