10-Step Security for your Computer

boltneck said:
1. Use panda Internet security 2005 or 2006.

Nothing else, over the counter, is even close to as good. Using Norton, etrust, or Macaffe, or "fill in the blank" it is like putting a screen door on a submarine. For security and anti trojan support Panda is hands down the best.

I second the recommendation of Panda. Back when I was doing field work we started experimenting with Panda. Worked WONDERFULLY. Another GREAT line of products is Kaspersky. I have Kaspersky AV on my PC and it has been infinitely better than Norton- faster, finds more threats, is less-intrusive, and easier to control.

Sage said:
does it matter how fast it is at finding the answer to "what is the meaning of life, the universe, everything?" if it does everything you need it do do quickly? Apps load faster and interactivity is faster on my mac than on my PC or any other PC that I've ever used.
That doesn't matter if you dont list your PC specs.

first of all, I don't own a cheap-ass C230. I have a fully loaded C320. Go to mbusa.com and price a loaded C350 (replaced the C320 this year, larger engine and new 7-speed tranny). Then, compare the price of that with an E-class. Furthermore, you have no idea what my financial situation is. Apparently, it's a fair bit better than yours though because I can go out and buy an iBook on a whim.
If it isn't an SLR I don't give a shit what benz it is.
I could buy an ibook also if I so desired, but I don't.
How arrogant of you to assume though, not surprising givin you are a mac lover and are into luxury cars.

obviously, you've never done field work. dells and HP's are the computers that people are having die on them. It can range from hardware to windows. If you haven't done field work then you really can't say anything about the realiability of these computers because you don't have enough experience with them. Why, if there should be no problems with this hardware, would I have anywhere from 2 to 10 people every single day with different problems. And that was just doing field work. Why, if the software and hardware are so reliable, was my call-center team of 17 kept bussy all day long?
FYI my brother is in the IT industry if you care, works in viejas, and before that worked at kyrocera USA as the head admin.
I'm fairly certain in lack of experience I have is more than made up for with his experience (he's 28 I believe and been workin there for ages).
He has a rather positive few of the dells:cool:

and when did I say it was microsofts fault? with regard to hardware issues the only problem with microsoft is that windows only runs on PC's. PC's have a lot more options for hardware but with that comes the problems of having so many hardware combinations there are inevitably going to be conflicts.
I was just adding that MS can't be hold responsible for no name hardware with shitty drivers, or hardware

you have way too much faith in windows. Again, you must not have much experience with windows xp outside of your own use.
Yes.. I have so much faith in windows I run a corporate virus scanner and refuse to use IE.
Just be realistic!
Windows 9x is a big fat turd, but NT is quite nice, and XP with SP2 is good enough to where I've never had anything other than data miners in my cache.
And people in my family do indeed have computers.
The computer at my mom's place of work used to be quite bad with getting spyware untill I updated it withe sp2 and made em use firefox, now when I go other for some reason there's nothing found but cookies.
guess what- sometimes hardware fails. And who ever said anyone was being forced to buy a mac? It's a choice. Just like I wasn't forced to buy a MB, I could have gotten a VW. I can get to point A to point B in a WV if I want to but, doing it in my MB is much more enjoyable.
Shocker!
I'm fairly certain a VW phaeton would be a much more enjoyable ride than your MB:D
W12++++
so benchmark performance is what determines the value of a computer?
It's a measurement of bang for your buck, but since apparently you're so rich you dont care about that :LOL:
What is isn't, however, is a measure of how stable it is, unless you let it run loops of hardware intensive apps like.. say prime95.
That tool is excellent, it's so good that alot of time you can get away with overclocks that aren't P95 stable.
And did you forget what forum you're posting on?
Beyond3d.. where most of us are into video cards and the like, and benchmarking along with IQ and driver stabily determines value.

now when did I tell anyone to buy a mac just because they are too ignorant to use a PC withot screwing it up? However, you make a good point- why should someone be forced to own a PC if they aren't smart enough to keep from fucking it up? Would you give a 16 year old a jaguar (real jag, not a ford jag)?
You said no one's forced to use macs, well no one's forced to run pcs to that point.
They're just better advertised and will always be queer in the eyes of most people.
The move to intel is good and I'm sure some warez group will release the PC version of OSX cracked and we all can see for our selves how it runs compared to windows :D
And if the 16 year old was my son and I raised him ok, I would without a second thought because I would know that he wouldn't be some dumbass and crash it without good reason to do so.

radeonic2 said:
That doesn't matter if you dont list your PC specs.
well, my PC is a dual 1.26 Tualatin box, Iwill motherboard (piece of crap, IMO), 2GB PC3200 (dont remember what brand, its been so long), 250GB WD JB, 120GB same. Why so slow? Well, I built it a very long time ago for rendering. Nothing that came along I really felt was worth the upgrade. I built and used for a while an A64 for my father, a dual Opteron for a friend, and a few other computers. I was waiting for WindowsXP 64 and the next-gen Intel architecture- screw NetBurst.

If it isn't an SLR I don't give a shit what benz it is.
you're right, all other Benz's are cheap, low-end ones.

I could buy an ibook also if I so desired, but I don't.
How arrogant of you to assume though, not surprising givin you are a mac lover and are into luxury cars.
well you're the one making a big stink about how horrible it would be for someone to spend $1000.

FYI my brother is in the IT industry if you care, works in viejas, and before that worked at kyrocera USA as the head admin.
I'm fairly certain in lack of experience I have is more than made up for with his experience (he's 28 I believe and been workin there for ages).
He has a rather positive few of the dells:cool:
yup, in a corporate environment going with all-dells is a good deal. when one dies you plop another one in it's place and the user won't know the difference. You can get a bazillion of them with the exact same hardware config and make one single image for the entire company, test it on one and know that it will work exactly the same on all of the other computers. Home users, however, do not have the support from a corporation. I wouldn't use macs in a corporate setting because, with a good support service in place, dells work great and are cheaper. For a home user who cannot afford to call geek squad or whatever every time something goes wrong, or who is not PC-litterate enough to not bugger things up, a Mac is a much better choice.

I was just adding that MS can't be hold responsible for no name hardware with shitty drivers, or hardware
of course it's not their fault. but, it still effects the end-users experience.

Yes.. I have so much faith in windows I run a corporate virus scanner and refuse to use IE.
Just be realistic!
Windows 9x is a big fat turd, but NT is quite nice, and XP with SP2 is good enough to where I've never had anything other than data miners in my cache.
And people in my family do indeed have computers.
The computer at my mom's place of work used to be quite bad with getting spyware untill I updated it withe sp2 and made em use firefox, now when I go other for some reason there's nothing found but cookies.
I'm not denying that sp2 is a great leap. But, there are still lots of problems out there. If there weren't how could I have made, on a good day, 5 figures from tech support services (however, I ended up getting screwed out of my cut so none of that went into my pockets... bastards)

Shocker!
I'm fairly certain a VW phaeton would be a much more enjoyable ride than your MB:D
W12++++
Probably. Of course, I love how small my car is and would really miss the fun of it if I had a big boat. I'd still love to have a phaeton, though. But, i would even more like to have a Maybach 57 or Phantom.

It's a measurement of bang for your buck, but since apparently you're so rich you dont care about that :LOL:
bang-for-buck? what exactly constitutes "bang"? A computer is a tool for most people. A tool needs to reliably get the job done in a manner that is most convenient to the user. And, if you want to start adding up tech support services, PC's can very quickly run the average user who doesn't know what he/she is doing a LOT more than a mac.

What is isn't, however, is a measure of how stable it is, unless you let it run loops of hardware intensive apps like.. say prime95.
That tool is excellent, it's so good that alot of time you can get away with overclocks that aren't P95 stable.
You're right, prime95 is an excellent tool to test for stability *of certain things*. You have to take into consideration all of the apps and various hardware that inevitably end up being installed on PC's. Usually, there is going to be more than a few things that disagree with each other.

And did you forget what forum you're posting on?
Beyond3d.. where most of us are into video cards and the like, and benchmarking along with IQ and driver stabily determines value.
well then let's be clear about things. Since the beginning, I have been talking about basic computer use- just the normal things that most people do with computers. If you need to have the latest vieo card then you already know that you need a PC and my suggestion wasnt for you.

You said no one's forced to use macs, well no one's forced to run pcs to that point.
They're just better advertised and will always be queer in the eyes of most people.
The move to intel is good and I'm sure some warez group will release the PC version of OSX cracked and we all can see for our selves how it runs compared to windows :D
And if the 16 year old was my son and I raised him ok, I would without a second thought because I would know that he wouldn't be some dumbass and crash it without good reason to do so.

well, you were stating that it was "fucking insane" to tell someone too ignorant to use a PC that they should buy a mac instead. I think that's a pretty good suggestion. And, I'm glad you have so much faith in your offspring, but I hope you also remember what it was like to be a 16 year old kid with a shiny new car... now, imagine if that car was 10x faster. I'm pretty sure no 16 year old boy would be able to resist the temptation... that's why insurance companies have been known to flat out refuse to insure kids with some insanely fast cars. If someone is incapable of handling something then they shouldn't have it.

Oh, and iOSX has already been leaked. It was on BitTorrent quite some time ago. But, I don't think it was cracked yet. I have the CD's on my PC.

Sage said:
well, my PC is a dual 1.26 Tualatin box, Iwill motherboard (piece of crap, IMO), 2GB PC3200 (dont remember what brand, its been so long), 250GB WD JB, 120GB same. Why so slow? Well, I built it a very long time ago for rendering. Nothing that came along I really felt was worth the upgrade. I built and used for a while an A64 for my father, a dual Opteron for a friend, and a few other computers. I was waiting for WindowsXP 64 and the next-gen Intel architecture- screw NetBurst.

you're right, all other Benz's are cheap, low-end ones.

well you're the one making a big stink about how horrible it would be for someone to spend $1000.

yup, in a corporate environment going with all-dells is a good deal. when one dies you plop another one in it's place and the user won't know the difference. You can get a bazillion of them with the exact same hardware config and make one single image for the entire company, test it on one and know that it will work exactly the same on all of the other computers. Home users, however, do not have the support from a corporation. I wouldn't use macs in a corporate setting because, with a good support service in place, dells work great and are cheaper. For a home user who cannot afford to call geek squad or whatever every time something goes wrong, or who is not PC-litterate enough to not bugger things up, a Mac is a much better choice.

of course it's not their fault. but, it still effects the end-users experience.

I'm not denying that sp2 is a great leap. But, there are still lots of problems out there. If there weren't how could I have made, on a good day, 5 figures from tech support services (however, I ended up getting screwed out of my cut so none of that went into my pockets... bastards)

Probably. Of course, I love how small my car is and would really miss the fun of it if I had a big boat. I'd still love to have a phaeton, though. But, i would even more like to have a Maybach 57 or Phantom.

bang-for-buck? what exactly constitutes "bang"? A computer is a tool for most people. A tool needs to reliably get the job done in a manner that is most convenient to the user. And, if you want to start adding up tech support services, PC's can very quickly run the average user who doesn't know what he/she is doing a LOT more than a mac.

You're right, prime95 is an excellent tool to test for stability *of certain things*. You have to take into consideration all of the apps and various hardware that inevitably end up being installed on PC's. Usually, there is going to be more than a few things that disagree with each other.

well then let's be clear about things. Since the beginning, I have been talking about basic computer use- just the normal things that most people do with computers. If you need to have the latest vieo card then you already know that you need a PC and my suggestion wasnt for you.

well, you were stating that it was "fucking insane" to tell someone too ignorant to use a PC that they should buy a mac instead. I think that's a pretty good suggestion. And, I'm glad you have so much faith in your offspring, but I hope you also remember what it was like to be a 16 year old kid with a shiny new car... now, imagine if that car was 10x faster. I'm pretty sure no 16 year old boy would be able to resist the temptation... that's why insurance companies have been known to flat out refuse to insure kids with some insanely fast cars. If someone is incapable of handling something then they shouldn't have it.

Oh, and iOSX has already been leaked. It was on BitTorrent quite some time ago. But, I don't think it was cracked yet. I have the CD's on my PC.
Too lazy to do another round of dissecting every paragraph.
I just mean I personally dont care for luxury cars, given the SLR 65 AMG has 600~hp I'll let that one slide:D
Agree about having thousands of same model computers.
What sort of problems did you have that would have earned you 5 figures?
Ya I dont like boats either.. except fast ones.
Those are great since they usally have a nice ride and you can hit tripple digit speeds in no time.
Not exactly good for road racing (what I would be doing if I had the resources) but would be fun as hell on the street.
regarding tech support.. well if that family doesn't have a tech in it or have someone they know then it sucks to be them.
Given some time and willingness I'm sure they could learn.
I learned by fucking stuff up:D
I dont know what it was like being 16 with a shiny new car, but if I'm rich, my son will have that pleasure.
If I have a daughter then she can ride a bike:LOL:
The leaked osx sorta works along as you have have a cpu that supports SSE2 and some apps need SSE3.

Sage said:
I don't see a problem with suggesting people buy a mac.
I agree. I'll just never buy one myself, because:
1. I like to build my own systems.
2. User-friendliness is very, very low on my list of priorities (I like to tweak things).
3. I'm all about performance, and the performance/cost ratio for macs is not good.
4. I like to play games, and PC's where it's at for that.
5. I also work in Linux, so I think I'd rather keep with my Linux dual-boot for that purpose.
6. I've never liked the user interface of Mac's.

radeonic2 said:
regarding tech support.. well if that family doesn't have a tech in it or have someone they know then it sucks to be them.
Given some time and willingness I'm sure they could learn.

well, the problem with that is that some people don't have the desire or time to invest in learning to fix a PC and/or actually fixing it. I switched because I just got fed up with having to fix my PC, I don't have time anymore to have to find apps or proper settings to make my computer do what I want it to. If you enjoy that sort of thing, like I used to, then by all means get a PC. However, if you don't want to screw with any of it, a stock mac will do everything (except MS Office) that your average user needs and will do it well.

As for making 5 figures a day... when you consider the first hour cost $175, then it was $100/hour after that... some days were 14-hour days... you can do the math... and I did, then I realized that I was never going to get any of that money... bastards...

Sage said:
well, the problem with that is that some people don't have the desire or time to invest in learning to fix a PC and/or actually fixing it. I switched because I just got fed up with having to fix my PC, I don't have time anymore to have to find apps or proper settings to make my computer do what I want it to. If you enjoy that sort of thing, like I used to, then by all means get a PC. However, if you don't want to screw with any of it, a stock mac will do everything (except MS Office) that your average user needs and will do it well.

As for making 5 figures a day... when you consider the first hour cost $175, then it was $100/hour after that... some days were 14-hour days... you can do the math... and I did, then I realized that I was never going to get any of that money... bastards...
You switched because you got fed up?
You must have switched in the win 9x days :LOL:
Do you think I would use my computer if I constantly had to fix it?
No!
Only down time is for driver updates and reinstalls (for fun ;))

radeonic2 said:
You switched because you got fed up?
You must have switched in the win 9x days :LOL:
Do you think I would use my computer if I constantly had to fix it?
No!

I switched a few months ago, actually. It was just too much of a hassle sometimes. I hated waking up a few times and my computer wouldnt even turn on, had to open the bastard up and reset the bios. Sometimes I wanted to make it do something new that wouldnt work because of something I wanted it to do in the past. And, the last straw, when I came to school this new security BS they forced on us (cisco clean access) I couldn't even get my comp on the network.

radeonic2 said:

...that's part of the problem. You can't go for 3 years straight on a single windows install. I don't think that this is a reasonable inconvenience.

Sage said:
...that's part of the problem. You can't go for 3 years straight on a single windows install. I don't think that this is a reasonable inconvenience.
Yes you can but it just gets a bit slower.
If you reinstall OSX does it not get faster?
It's also good to clean up.
Sounds like you switched because you had a crappy motherboard;)

radeonic2 said:
Yes you can but it just gets a bit slower.
If you reinstall OSX does it not get faster?
It's also good to clean up.
Sounds like you switched because you had a crappy motherboard;)

no, the computer doesnt just get slower. bit by bit the OS starts to degrade and you have more and more problems. This happens with every windows computer.

I switched because every PC I've ever dealt with has had problems. Some of them minor, some more severe but eventually they keep stacking up. There's always a PC that needsfixing and I'm tired of it.

Sage said:
no, the computer doesnt just get slower. bit by bit the OS starts to degrade and you have more and more problems. This happens with every windows computer.

I switched because every PC I've ever dealt with has had problems. Some of them minor, some more severe but eventually they keep stacking up. There's always a PC that needsfixing and I'm tired of it.
Well maybe your computer got messed up over time but mine just gets a bit slower and regulariy defraging (and running bootvis) helps alot.
The main deal is I have several things in my startup that I need to have run and that means I can't use it the computer untill it's done loading like 20 seconds later.
But I think it's nice to reinstall atleaty yearly to clean out old programs and stuff you just don't use anymore.
guy above me said:
From what I've heard, it doesn't. Increasing slowness or instability over time appears to be a Windows-specific problem.
Well shouldn't slightl slowness overtime be natural as the HDD fills up and starts using the end of the hdd where tranfers are much slower?
And fragmentation of course.

radeonic2 said:
Well shouldn't slightl slowness overtime be natural as the HDD fills up and starts using the end of the hdd where tranfers are much slower?
And fragmentation of course.
This kind of slowness should only really affect the most recently installed programs and their datafiles, not the entire OS.

arjan de lumens said:
This kind of slowness should only really affect the most recently installed programs and their datafiles, not the entire OS.
Has anybody figured out why it happens?

radeonic2 said:
Has anybody figured out why it happens?
The WIndows slowness? Not quite sure; I think it is in general a combination of registry design flaws and the default permissiveness of Windows wrt software you can run on it (spyware, viruses, drm-crap, programs that silently add themselves to Windows startup etc)

arjan de lumens said:
The WIndows slowness? Not quite sure; I think it is in general a combination of registry design flaws and the default permissiveness of Windows wrt software you can run on it (spyware, viruses, drm-crap, programs that silently add themselves to Windows startup etc)
Yes, just too much things that are left around and eat performance. That's easier than cleaning it all up, even if people could be bothered to do that. Although it has become much better with 2000/XP than it was with 95/98/ME.

There is generally just too little general management going on, it's too much like free for all.

arjan de lumens said:
Well I don't get spyware or viruses;)

and the little things that chew up performance also like to cause various little instabilities.

with my mac all I have installed is Firefox, Blue Coconut (tool for iTunes), Genius, and MS Office. I don't even need FF. MacOS X already has everything that I need built-in.

Sage said:
and the little things that chew up performance also like to cause various little instabilities.

with my mac all I have installed is Firefox, Blue Coconut (tool for iTunes), Genius, and MS Office. I don't even need FF. MacOS X already has everything that I need built-in.
again the only thing that degrades is performance.
Not stabilty:oops:

Back