01:02:03 AM on the 04/05/06!

t0y said:
And no one uses double digit years anymore...
I always do unless I'm forced not to. And I find it quite frustrating when someone write MMIs that demand four digit years. Why do I have to give a four digit year for when I want money for bill X to be transfered? Truly stupid interface. A rounding function with rolling rounding limit would make a better interface, and would last any number of centuries.

It's a good idea to store dates with four digit years "behind the scenes" though, and leave the option to override the rounding by entering a four digit year.

I have to agree with Xmas though. :D

Waiting for 060504 03:02:01...

Yeah, what's the deal with starting a date with the month? YY-MM-DD or possibly DD-MM-YY makes sense, but MM-DD-YY makes no sense at all. Starting with the middle size attribute.

Humus said:
Yeah, what's the deal with starting a date with the month? YY-MM-DD or possibly DD-MM-YY makes sense, but MM-DD-YY makes no sense at all. Starting with the middle size attribute.

I may be wrong, but I think the reason this system was adopted was because of the way we say the date out loud.

For example, tomorrow will be April 5th, 2006. That's how one would say the date.

Hence 04/05/(20)06

Just a thought.

Kanyamagufa said:
I may be wrong, but I think the reason this system was adopted was because of the way we say the date out loud.

For example, tomorrow will be April 5th, 2006. That's how one would say the date.

So what's wrong with saying "the 5th of April, 2006", like the rest of us?

london-boy said:
Well, i hate the american way to date things, but i have to admit that MMDDYY can be very useful at times.
How can it be useful? I can't imagine such scenario. But I've always used DDMMYYYY and other formats are troublesome for me.

You do realize that you have two dates that are in month, day, year format in your signature, right? :)

Anyway, it's totally a culture thing. There's really no reason why it should be one way or the other. There might be some small argument for YYMMDD if there was some simple base used in the counting.

In the US it's MMDDYY just because this is the way our language has evolved. It's one of those things that you just have to deal with. You should be thankful that we share the same calendar.

Chalnoth said:
You do realize that you have two dates that are in month, day, year format in your signature, right? :)
Yes, I realize that, it's a quote from a web page.
Anyway, it's totally a culture thing. There's really no reason why it should be one way or the other. There might be some small argument for YYMMDD if there was some simple base used in the counting.
I agree with that, but I was asking london-boy how can it be useful for non-US citizen (at least I thought he's not from US).

You should be thankful that we share the same calendar.
Thankful? Huh.

Back on topic, you know what really sucks? I pointed out that it was 123456 to my friends one minute after it happened even though I reminded myself like ten minutes before. DAMMIT ALL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back