360 HD DVD update out tomorrow

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
Doesn't get more official than Amir confirming it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10536382&&#post10536382

"It is my pleasure to let you all know that the HD DVD udpate for Xbox 360 is slated for release on 5/15 (i.e. tomorrow!). So when you wake up in the morning, you should be able to upgrade your software. And me free from telling you when are going to get it . Hope you all download it and provide feedback on what you think!

And sorry I did not give more of a notice. I was out on the cruise and only now got around to getting the specific time/date for it."

Highlight as per my recollection:
Fix various disc playback compatibility issue
Take DD out of "night" mode for much better sound quality
Add DTS @ 1.5mpbs

can't remember the rest! I'll update this thread with user feedback on how much/if any the audio is improved.

"It is my pleasure to let you all know that the HD DVD udpate for Xbox 360 is slated for release on 5/15 (i.e. tomorrow!). So when you wake up in the morning, you should be able to upgrade your software. And me free from telling you when are going to get it . Hope you all download it and provide feedback on what you think!

And sorry I did not give more of a notice. I was out on the cruise and only now got around to getting the specific time/date for it."

Add DTS @ 1.5mpbs

can't remember the rest! I'll update this thread with user feedback on how much/if any the audio is improved.

DD out of "night mode" ?

The DTS addon is a smart move, do i have the correct impression that anything that cant be transported over the normal digital out will be recompressed/compressed in DTS in real time?

I kind a knew it had to be a "easy" codec since the PS2 had some limited DTS support in some games, for example GTA: San Andreas

DD out of "night mode" ?

The DTS addon is a smart move, do i have the correct impression that anything that cant be transported over the normal digital out will be recompressed/compressed in DTS in real time?

I kind a knew it had to be a "easy" codec since the PS2 had some limited DTS support in some games, for example GTA: San Andreas

Yes, apparantly DD has a normal and a night mode:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10129172&&#post10129172 Search that thread for more info on "night" mode.

You can pick your output for HD DVD's between, WMA Pro, DD and DTS.

Yes, apparantly DD has a normal and a night mode:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10129172&&#post10129172 Search that thread for more info on "night" mode.

You can pick your output for HD DVD's between, WMA Pro, DD and DTS.

Dynamic Range Compression always at Max? ouch, that would have made it pretty much useless. It can´t have been the case on all movies or was there a way to circumvent it?

We have had customers returning DVD´s that we authored because the sound sucked, turns out their DVD players was setup with Dynamic Compression :)

Dynamic Range Compression always at Max? ouch, that would have made it pretty much useless. It can´t have been the case on all movies or was there a way to circumvent it?

We have had customers returning DVD´s that we authored because the sound sucked, turns out their DVD players was setup with Dynamic Compression :)

It was stuck in "night mode" for all HD DVD playback. Sad but true. User feedback tomorrow should be interesting.

I really don't like the huge range of DD. On too many movies you can't hear the dialog properly if you want sound effects to be reasonable and if you bump sound so you can hea rwhat the heck they're saying you blow out the windows of your house when explosions start going off.. :cry:

Night mode is preferred mode to me.
Peacel.

I really don't like the huge range of DD. On too many movies you can't hear the dialog properly if you want sound effects to be reasonable and if you bump sound so you can hea rwhat the heck they're saying you blow out the windows of your house when explosions start going off.. :cry:

Peacel.

You'll still have the option for night mode. Also, make sure your receiver isn't futher processing your stream by making sure all effects are off.

Add DTS @ 1.5mpbs

Thanks for the update, looking forward to doing a TrueHD vs DTS comparison this weekend. I vaguely recall plans for the HD-DVD addon to put out 1080sf24, was that the case or is my mind just playing tricks on me....again.

Peacel.
Sounds like you need a better sound system, especially a better center channel (which the majority of dialog comes from). If your center channel isn't up to the task dialog will be lost in all the "chaos". A good center channel will reproduce dialog cleanly and intelligibly even during effect-heavy scenes. I have no issues with nearly 100% of my DVD's.

I have to work tomorrow, but I'll see if I can try the update in the morning. Can't wait!

Thanks for the update, looking forward to doing a TrueHD vs DTS comparison this weekend. I vaguely recall plans for the HD-DVD addon to put out 1080sf24, was that the case or is my mind just playing tricks on me....again.

Amir hasn't dropped any hints of made any comments about such so I wouldn't hold my breath. Should be no technical reason they can't.......

Peacel.

I know what you mean, the thing is that you actually have to dial the volume after the dialog and then accept your house shakes, small critters die and the police arrests you when the action starts. It´s how the sound engineers want it dynamics for the win!. Or you can pop into the reciever and boost the Dialog a bit or your center speaker and still keep the dynamics. But unless the 360 HD-DVD addon got a UI for those controls i wouldn´t count on it.

Early impressions from several people at AVS Forums with the update say the DTS encoder is actually noticeably worse than the DD one. Even though the bitstream is 1.5Mbps, it sounds soft and muffled in comparison to DD output on the 360.

Hope there's not another issue...

Early impressions from several people at AVS Forums with the update say the DTS encoder is actually noticeably worse than the DD one. Even though the bitstream is 1.5Mbps, it sounds soft and muffled in comparison to DD output on the 360.

Hope there's not another issue...

Links?

In the 2 threads I looked at I couldn't find any negative comments about the DTS output. I have a friend who is very concerned about this issue, so I'd like to know if this fix is functional or not.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=774635&page=155&pp=30

I enabled the DTS option, and used movies that actually had 1.5 Mbps tracks, like Superman Retunrs, Alexander, Enemy at the Gates, and such, and man, having that nigth thingy off, makes is sound brutal, BUT in DD. When I swich to DTS I get a more soft track, like if the nigth mode was on (wich is not).

Really weird, but after testing it, I 'll keep the DD option over the DTS (I have a Yamaha 6.1 A/V so I'm guessing is not that) and without the nigth mode on, I'm more than happy.

Silly, that after all this time, DTS doesn't meet with wht I wanted, but DD makes the trick.

I have noticed on the UK AV forums as well as these forums that, after the HD-DVD update, people are expriencing inferior quality sound from the DTS output option rather than the DD option. Some are saying it sounds soft and muffled. Can you confirm if there is another 'issue' with the audio ?

Changes:

- Fix DD being stuck in "Night Mode" which is essentially Dynamic Range Compression leading to the sound sounding very flat

- Option to output ALL HD DVD audio as DTS 1.5Mbps (list includes DD+, TrueHD, DTS)

- Option to output ALL HD DVD audio as DD 640Kbps, (which it currently does, but will be fixed from the Night Mode bug), list includes DD+, TrueHD, DTS)

- Option to output ALL HD DVD audio as WMAPro 1.5Mbps, (list includes DD+, TrueHD, DTS) for those receivers that support WMA.

- Option to enable/disable Night Mode (with the default set to off)

- Fix a number of disc incompatibilities (including DVD Essentials) as well as a number of Lip Sync issues.

Thanks. I had noticed that someone in the thread I read reported that they had lower volume with a Yamaha receiver when using DTS output and then someone in the above thread also reported lower volume with a Yamaha receiver. I wonder if it is a Yamaha issue?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=847397&page=3&pp=30

Here's a dedicated userfeedback thread on AVS. So far, everyone seems quite happy with it.

Yeah, that's the one I saw. I'll pass along my friend's experience when he gets a chance to test it out.

from MS

Added option for user to select from the following audio output formats via TOSLINK or HDMI:
o Digital Stereo (2 channel PCM)
o Dolby Digital 5.1
o DTS 5.1
o WMA Pro
Added "Dynamic Range Control" toggle for digital audio output
Improved HD DVD networking support
Improved HD DVD title compatibility
Improved performance with MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
1080p via HDMI is supported on the Xbox 360 Elite with HDCP compliant displays
Improved parental controls

Back