Australia lifetime-to-date hardware sales

I'm a bit confused by these quotes
He says people are beginning to realise they need not be tied to a PC. Unlike the Xbox, the PS3 does not require a computer to connect with the internet.
Live will be launched in Australia next month and will quickly be followed by more content.

I have no idea what they're talking about in the first one, and is there really no Live service at all in AU right now? That seems surprising to me.

"He says people are beginning to realise they need not be tied to a PC. Unlike the Xbox, the PS3 does not require a computer to connect with the internet."

Whats the percentage of people who actually have internet capability (outside of a cell phone) and no PC?

I would says "virtually zero".

Whats the likelihood of someone of buying internet access just for the use of a gaming console?

I would says "not enough to make a difference"

Pretty weak argument.

Pretty weak argument.

I didn't really see an argument.

I can see a use for a net-capable console without a PC. WebTV was a device like this, MS now owns that company. Dorms have net access, so why not buy a $600 console and install Linux on it? You also have the arrangement of having a console in little Billy's room where he can use the web and stay off Dad's computer without the need of buying a second computer.

If you are a home user without net access, just leach wi-fi from your neighbors :)

BTW the original numbers are a little out of context without the time on the market (from the linked article):

360: 12 months
Wii: 5 months
PS3: 1 month

Reactions: one
Dorms have net access, so why not buy a $600 console and install Linux on it?

Because a $325 HP Pavilion is a better way to run that Linux.

I agree with the thrust of this thread. There is no argument to be made for those who have net access but are waiting for the proper machine to take advantage of it.

And play games and BD? If you are just using the Linux to write papers, browse the web, IM, etc. Who cares how fast it is?

that only works if you have a HDTV, I know I would rather gouge my eyes out then to try and do anything relevant on a SDTV.

web browsers serve well on the console for looking at pictures and watching streaming video but IMO a PC would still be the preferred way to write a paper and browse the web(besides what I already mentioned) even when compared to a console and a HDTV

I have no idea what they're talking about in the first one, and is there really no Live service at all in AU right now? That seems surprising to me.

Australia has Live. What the hell is this guy talking about?

By the way, something that's interesting in these numbers. The 360 is based on roughly a year of sales, while the Wii is based on 6 months of sales... roughly being equal if you doubled the Wii numbers- though the Wii is still a strange thing to see sitting on shelves.

PS3 is similar here to the states... it's easily available, and everyone wants one - but few people want to pay $1000 for one. Those that do generally already have.

I'm most interested in seeing what games give the two "new" systems a sales jump. For 360 it was GoW... we'll have to wait and see :cool:

that only works if you have a HDTV, I know I would rather gouge my eyes out then to try and do anything relevant on a SDTV.

web browsers serve well on the console for looking at pictures and watching streaming video but IMO a PC would still be the preferred way to write a paper and browse the web(besides what I already mentioned) even when compared to a console and a HDTV

You can use a LCD monitor with both the PS3 and 360, welcome to 2005 ;)

You can use a LCD monitor with both the PS3 and 360, welcome to 2005 ;)

well the 360 doesn't have PC features, and the PS3 AFAIK only does HD/SD resolutions, doesn't support VGA, and needs HDCP which most low end LCDs do not have

a quick search on newegg tells me that the cheapest LCD monitor with HDCP is >$200US

by the time some one buys a LCD with HDCP and a PS3(and usb mouse, keyboard, etc.) they could buy the cheap PC that comes with everything and a gaming system, end up paying the same thing, and have a much more functional computer

I do think that having a system that can do these features are nice but I don't see it being practical, or even economical, as a computer replacement

by the time some one buys a LCD with HDCP and a PS3(and usb mouse, keyboard, etc.) they could buy the cheap PC that comes with everything and a gaming system, end up paying the same thing, and have a much more functional computer

Well there is a $60 device to use a PS3 with a non-HDCP LCD, but $200 for a LCD is not that much to begin with. So you will buy a computer, monitor, console and TV and think you will save over a PS3 + HDCP LCD, which console?

Maybe $300 core + $50 used 13" TV + $300 PC + $50 used CRT.

I dont really see how you want to play on a 19'' lcd or smaller screen when you just spend 600euro for next gen gfx console. Much to small of a screen to get a decent image. Unless you stick your face right up the screen but the whole point of console gaming is that you can play relaxed while laying on your couch or sitting in your comfy chair.

Well there is a $60 device to use a PS3 with a non-HDCP LCD, but $200 for a LCD is not that much to begin with. So you will buy a computer, monitor, console and TV and think you will save over a PS3 + HDCP LCD, which console?

Maybe $300 core + $50 used 13" TV + $300 PC + $50 used CRT.

I don't think it very likely that anyone even considering getting into gaming doesn't have a TV, so there is $50 right there, and who says it has to be a 360? In fact if you're not going to get an LCD, you'll probably be playing SD, so a Wii wouldn't be a bad idea - that's if you can get one!

So that's $249 + $500 odd for a PC, not a difficult task, and still $50 cheaper than a PS3 + HDCP LCD

Even if you did want a Premium 360, it's not impossible to get a cheap $400 PC with monitor, equalling the cost to you for a PS3 + LCD but giving you a console that is similarly capable, plus a PC that is better at surfing or writing papers

I dont really see how you want to play on a 19'' lcd or smaller screen when you just spend 600euro for next gen gfx console. Much to small of a screen to get a decent image. Unless you stick your face right up the screen but the whole point of console gaming is that you can play relaxed while laying on your couch or sitting in your comfy chair.

Well, plenty of people spend money on "PS3 beating" graphics cards for their PC and sit infront of a monitor.

I've always liked being quite close to the screen. Maybe it's a throwback to playing 8-bit stuff on a 14" portable telly!

Well, plenty of people spend money on "PS3 beating" graphics cards for their PC and sit infront of a monitor.

I've always liked being quite close to the screen. Maybe it's a throwback to playing 8-bit stuff on a 14" portable telly!

Ya, I don't see the 100 million PC gamers whining about using a desktop LCD for gaming.

People just love to argue, first it was you need an expensive HDTV, then it's desktop LCDs are too small. I wasn't making the case that everyone should buy a PS3 for a computer, I just offered an example on how a single console in a dorm room could double as a gaming device and basic computer. It seems like an elegant solution to me, a desktop with an LCD, K&M and PS3 instead of a PC. It may not be for everyone, but it's perfectly reasonable.

But if you hate Sony as so many do, insert your console of choice and buy a seperate PC.

And play games and BD? If you are just using the Linux to write papers, browse the web, IM, etc. Who cares how fast it is?

And if you're just playing Bejewelled, WoW, Sims 2, etc. Who cares how fast the computer is?

If you're watching on a monitor rather than an HDTV as you suggest, then you don't need BD for your movies. Period.

Add a PS2 if you insist, and you're still paying far less than a PS3.

The PS3 might become a compelling argument as a general-purpose computer platform if it is adjusted to $400 or less.

Ya, I don't see the 100 million PC gamers whining about using a desktop LCD for gaming.

What I ment is, you buy a console for ''relaxed'' gaming. Sit on the couch with some mates and a beer and do some relaxed gaming. Or play laying on your couch on your own. Hooking it up to a monitor so you need to sit right in front of your desk to actually see anything isnt relaxed. No it doesnt matter for pc games as you usually need a mouse and keyboard so you cant even sit on a couch to game relaxed.

Youre better of using your SDtv if you dont have a HDtv than using a monitor.

Back