What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any good and semi-modern lesser known RPGs out there? I have a hard time finding good RPGs. The last good one I played was Dragon Age 2, which to my surprise I found to be excellent.

I'm currently playing Final Fantasy 14...a lot. :p But I'm guessing you don't want suggestions for MMO-RPGs. :)

That said. It being very much a team game at times, I am really starting to hate PS3 players. :p Not all of them, some are actually fairly decent at the team aspect of dungeons and raids considering the limited capabilities of a console controller. But OMG, most are hilariously bad. Especially healers or tanks. ESPECIALLY PS3 tanks. Argh. So bad.

I really wish they stuck PS3 owners on their own servers. I usually don't go elitist with console versus PC gamers. But here it actually impacts the gameplay in the more challenging content.

I used to think it'd be fantastic for console and PC gamers to mix in online games, but after playing FF14, I no longer think that's necessarily a good idea for many online game types. It may be OK for simplistic games, but for more complex games it just doesn't usually work that well.

Regards,
SB

Huh, didn't know there were any PC games that mixed with consoles.

That said, no I'm not interested in any MMOs. Just good single player RPGs :)

Games don't normally make me homicidal, but man They Bleed Pixels sure took me close. Lasted all of an hour until I wanted to smash the controller, the tv and everything in a 100 foot radius. Definitely not a game for the meek!

Dragon Age 2 and all its DLC. Decided to give the game a 2nd play through after all the recent DA3 previews. I'm enjoying it quite a bit more this time, mainly thx to expectations.

D/l it thru Origins and bought all the DLC via the app, but Mark of the Assassin wasn't listed. So I bought and d/l it via Bioware's Social website, but it wouldn't work. Manually ran the 1.04 patch, which broke the game, it wouldn't load. So I fired up Origin and did a repair and now it works fine. Not exactly a seamless process, but apparently EA changed how the game is patched once they put it on Origin.

Also playing Batman: Origins on my new GTX 770 with every bell & whistle maxed out and it runs great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my PC assembled yesterday. It feels awesome to be back on pc gaming. Started playing witcher2 and so far so good. I think I will wait for black friday and holiday steam sales to get some quality games cheaper.

The setup I built is intel 4670k, gigabyte 780, 16GB ram, ssd and other goodies. Had to go through some teething pains like the motherboard refused to boot to bios with 2 memory sticks installed. Had to boot with 1 stick, load memory timings and then 2 sticks worked. I also updated bios as the the bios in the motherboard was some 4 months old. Might be that with newer bios the first boot would have succeeded without any tinkering around.

I have to say I'm surprised how well the modern pc scales performance based on load. The machine is fairly quiet on desktop use and doesn't become too loud even when playing witcher. Maybe I need to do some stress testing and see how loud the worst case is :) Asus optimal settings even overclocks the cpu nicely so even with the default cooler setup I see over 4GHz on regular desktop use for single core.

I'm a very latecomer to Trials and I :love: it. Without fail it gets played when my mates come over. It's one of those rare games that should be annoying in it's trickyness but succeeds in making you laugh instead of raging. Simple brilliant fun. Very reminiscent of quality titles of the 8 bit days.

Besides that I'm still playing Starcraft 2 and many of its wonderful mods online.

I'm a very latecomer to Trials and I :love: it. Without fail it gets played when my mates come over. It's one of those rare games that should be annoying in it's trickyness but succeeds in making you laugh instead of raging. Simple brilliant fun. Very reminiscent of quality titles of the 8 bit days.

Besides that I'm still playing Starcraft 2 and many of its wonderful mods online.

You don't play BF4?

Finally, Pinball Arcade is out on pc! Got all the tables and living the high life now. Good times :)

Thought I'd give the demo a try based on your recomendation here. It's pretty cool, works perfectly with 3D too, it's almost like playing on a real table :smile:

Trials?, SC2? Damn Tabs you are soooo 2010! And we are having so much fun in BF4 with 5-8 TOGers every night on TS.

Currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (closed beta)

It's still a bit rough around the edges but I like this TCG. Waiting for the iPad app though.

You don't play BF4?

Not at the moment, no. Moved house recently and I've spent all my gaming funds on a projector (arrives today, woot!).

Trials?, SC2? Damn Tabs you are soooo 2010! And we are having so much fun in BF4 with 5-8 TOGers every night on TS.

Keep on beta testing it for me and let me know when it's stable. I might pop in to TS this evening and see if that inspires me to get it sooner rather than later. It wont be for another month though at the earliest.

There are some things about the series since BF2 that has rubbed me up the wrong way which has meant I didn't preorder ages ago.

* The added visual clutter of the UI
* The massive unlocks/rewards system
* The removal of great features that worked in past titles
* The lying about eSports being a focus in the run up to BF3
* The lack of battle recorder and nobody just coming out and stating "This is what's going on with that"
* The lack of public servers.
* No modding (I really dislike this choice)

Not that they haven't done some great things. Visually it's fantastic. The audio is stunning. I love the web interface too.

Anyway.. rant over! Where did that come from? :oops:

edit> I have to add one more thing... I bought BF3 on preorder and got premium as soon as it was available. I've barely played any of the DLC maps apart from the Return to Karkand ones. It feels like BF4 is out 6 months to a year too early for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just completed Tomb Raider (2013) it felt like a nice fresh look at the franchise - good fun.

Also completed the very short BF4 single player campaign - I enjoyed this much more than the BF3 single player. BF4 had a almost BF:BC2 feel to I :)

A friend introduced me to Smite a little while ago, and since then all my gaming time has gone into that...

Love the MOBA / FPS hybrid with a lot less focus on APM, to the point that I haven't bought BF4 yet.

And the fact that I agree with bigtabs about disliking the unlocking system, lack of public/fan servers, modding, and the lack of public/fan servers. Now looking to get it around Christmas, hoping they have fixed the bugs people are complaining about...

Almost done with Just Cause 2. Only missing the Legendary Agent achievement (complete game on extreme difficulty) which will take me around 8 more hours. Anyway, one of my favourite games of all time. I never played the first game and only picked it up last winter because of the Steam sale but I'm sure glad I did. It's a huge gameworld, the plot is campy and the whole point of the game is to play the game like we want to play every other game and can't: blow up everything. It then becomes an addiction.

Gameplay-wise, the grappling-hook/parachute combo is brilliant. The weapons are satisfying and the A.I. is challenging. Like every open-world game there are also races but the vehicle handling is quite competent. You'll want to run them because they're fun. The airborne races are particularly exhilarating.

The best thing of all for me is that I can play several different games all in one. I can go on foot/car to play your regular third-person shooter game. I can use the grapple/chute for total freedom. I can get in a tank/APC and fullbore through a military base. Or I can get into an Havoc and feel like I'm playing Desert Strike. In fact, if only you could lift the cargo collectables without having to exit the helicoper, it would be a perfect remake.

For a 2010 game, the graphics are still considerably good, especially effects-wise. Yes, when you get up and close the geometric detail is not like BF4 but from afar, when you're piloting a "Bering 474" just under the procedurally generated clouds at sun-set and you look downwards and see the orange sea it's quite something.

The game has minor issues (load times are ridiculous - with an SDD) and respawning at a base when you die means having to load the game twice: first to load the base, then to extract to where you were when you died - compounding the load times problem. I wish the harriers had vertical flight and if there were trains even more opportunities for chaos.

Steam says I've played 64 hours so far and if there is a Just Cause 3 I'll get it right away. Just give me more grapple-chute, exploding buildings and crazy vehicle hijacks.

In other words:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back