Intel Launches Core 2 Extreme QX6800

You guys have most probably seen this:

Intel today bumped the clock speeds of its quad-core Core 2 Extreme processors with the addition of the QX6800. The new Core 2 Extreme QX6800 clocks in at 2.93 GHz, matching last summer’s dual-core flagship X6800. Intel’s new Core 2 Extreme QX6800 features 8MB of total L2 cache and an unlocked upper multiplier for overclocking goodness.

As with the previous Core 2 Extreme QX6700 and Core 2 Quad Q6600, the new QX6800 shares the 65nm Kentsfieldcore. Intel expects to introduce 45nm Penryn-based processors in the second half of 2007. The new Core 2 Extreme QX6800 is Intel’s fourth consumer quad-core processor, whereas AMD isn’t set to introduce its upcoming Barcelona quad-core architecture until later this year.

Users wanting 2.93 GHz of smooth quad-core power will have to cough up a pretty penny. Intel prices the Core 2 Extreme QX6800 at $1199, however, aggressive Q3’07 price cuts will drop the QX6800 down to $999.

Read more: DailyTech
Reviews: AnandTech
HotHardware
The TechReport
Hardware Logic

I'm in for the Penryn goodness; I don't need an extreme edition or upwardly-unlocked multiplier to hit the 3+ghz mark, thanks Intel. ;)

I wonder if the Dell XPS H2C will get an upgrade then...but like you said I am ready for some Penryn goodness this Christmas time. Probably Dell should have an uber machine out by then...

I don't really buy "out of the box" computers from HP / Dell / IBM / etc, with the notable exception of laptops.

I'm saving up my pennies for a good LGA775 board and a midrange Penryn setup. Along with some R600 or G8x flavor, a few gigs of ram and some decent drives, I'll be ready to whup for the next year or two.

Back