First 360 in-game Command & Conquer 3 Footage

RTS game I would rather play with keyboard and mouse too, but they have honed the controls quite nicely to the pad making it not only playable but enjoyable, just because many PC-gamers are unable to use/enjoy different control methods than what they are used to, doesn't mean the rest of us can't.

May I ask how the controls actually work? Is there a crosshair you can move with the analog stick? What do the buttons do?

May I ask how the controls actually work? Is there a crosshair you can move with the analog stick? What do the buttons do?

Well the left analog stick moves the crosshair, the speed of the crosshair varies on how you use the stick. Right stick rotates and zooms the camera, A button selects units or buildings and with left trigger you can choose all war units that are on the screen. You can also assign units into groups and using them is fairly straightforward. Naturally there are lot's of other options too.

The people who think the gamepad is the correct input device for RTS are as deluded as the fools and idiots who think gamepads are great for FPS.

Wow. I was *almost* about to start replying point by point to your criticism until I reached that part. Now that I realized what a deluded fool and idiot I am, I won't even bother.

If the "step down" is comparable to the one from PC FPS to console FPS, wooohooo! The age of RTS on consoles is upon us.

(I haven't touched a PC FPS since ... uh... ummm.... Deus Ex 2 maybe?)

Some shooters can work ok, even well with pad but they have to be designed around it IMO. Some shooters would just work horribly on a pad, at least compared to the same game on mouse/keyboard.

I guess the same is true for RTS's except the bias towards mouse/keyboard is even greater.

I didn't hear anyone claim it was the 'correct' input device.

What people saying are 'it works', which it does. And the comfort from playing from the couch outweighs the lack of precision in the controls. It's called personal preference.

Maybe it's news to you, but not everyone needs to create 18groups, and building shortcuts, to enjoy a RTS...did I just blow your mind?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless controllers have spouted like another 20 buttons, I don't see how it's done. I use practically every key on my keyboard in RTSes!
I can't help but wonder if C&C or a future game like it might add support for the new MS "keyboard" text-chat thingy that plugs right into the gamepad.

Sounds like a perfect use for such a peripheral, no?

Back