Deinterlacing lost in PC upgrade

Rolf N

Recurring Membmare
Veteran
I came from Windows 2000 SP4 and multiple AGP cards* and have just recently upgraded to a PCIe mobo and, at the same time, to Windows XP SP2, which has of course been a fresh install. I'm currently concerned about deinterlacing DVD sources on my Geforce 7600 while playing DVDs. It doesn't seem to work at all. I get very noticable horizontal comb patterns on fast movements.

I'm using WinDVD 4 as my DVD decoder, which is an old version, I know, but it's unfortunately the only DVD player software I have atm. None came bundled with the new gfx card. Toggling "Hardware acceleration" in its options doesn't do anything re my problem.

I use Video Lan Client as the actual player.

Forceware 91.31. And the DirectX9 redist from last December.

I'm looking for either confirmation that this just won't work with WinDVD4 and/or VLC, so I can move on, or instructions to get it working.

*Geforce 4MX/3/FX5900/6800, Radeon 9200/9600/9800 ... S3 and PowerVR, too. I have been developing 3D graphics-heavy software and swapped cards quite frequently for a while. DVD playback always seemed to work.

you may want to download the purevideo trial and try that.
You will have to use WMP unless the video software you use allows you to choose what dvd decoder to use.

Oh duh!
The WinDVD codec wasn't plugged into VLC, it somehow did its own thing. I haven't found out yet how to tell VLC to use the WinDVD codec chain.
... but ... Zoom Player did the trick.

Sorry. I'll go stand in a corner and be ashamed now.

VLC has some built-in deinterlacers. Right click on the image while playing and choose deinterlacer and try the different ones.

I hate interlacing and telecining. Everything should be progressive. (Yes, yes, I know.. Space..)

With older decoders, you'll have to tick the "Use IVTC" tick box in the new control panel, under and video playback settings ( in the advanced view ). That should give you the benefits of better deinterlacing and stuff.

Bludd said:
VLC has some built-in deinterlacers. Right click on the image while playing and choose deinterlacer and try the different ones.

I hate interlacing and telecining. Everything should be progressive. (Yes, yes, I know.. Space..)
Nothing wrong with interlacing and telecining if your decoder can turn em back into 24 whole (prog.) frames ;)

Yes, okay. IVTC usually works fine, but deinterlacing is a destructive process in which you lose information.

Yes, okay. IVTC usually works fine, but deinterlacing is a destructive process in which you lose information.

Not necessarily. In the context of film material it is definitely not a destructive process. Film material can be perfectly deinterlaced after a successful inverse telecine by doing a simple weave.

If you MC and deinterlace, you have to interpolate from the information you already have to create something in those combing lines. AFAIK, there's no perfect MC and deinterlace process and probably never will be because of the nature of the source material.

Back