Crossfire motherboards - recommendations

oddfellow

Regular
Can any of you recommend me a decent, but reasonably priced S939 crossfire board?

I'm gonna put a cheap X1300pro crossfire rig together.
I'm not doing it for ultra performance, or killer frame rates, it's purely for curiosity's sake.

There seems to be a lack of low end crossfire reviews around. I know B3D kinda played with it a little, but there's nothing comprehensive out there.
So I thought I'd have a play with it myself.

I don't understand why you have to get a "crossfire" mobo, or a "sli" mobo. Why the fuck does the mobo need specific support for these anyway?

Two 16x slots, and that should be ENOUGH!

Because both nVidia and ATi have taken an anal route about support. Especially nVidia.

As for a decent board, those based on the 3200 Xpress chipset seem to be ok. And if you want something cheap, the Asus A8-MVP got pretty good reviews, if I remember correctly

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're not after speed 480 XF motherboards have dropped in price quite a bit as it uses the older XF chipset. The 580 XF motherboards are quite a bit faster for XF and the ones with the ULi southbridge have faster USB too. That $136 Sapphire looks nice but has the ATI southbridge.

MuFu said:
I installed one of these with a X1600 for a friend, and I was pretty impressed with it. It's not the full dual 16 lanes, but it's a lot cheaper than the A8R-32. The only thing that was problematic is that the northbridge heatsink is a large passive block, so some of the aftermarket heatsinks with big clips on both sides might not fit without the aid of a dremel.

All in all, the A8R-MVP is a good mainstream board with lots of features at a decent price.

Rur0ni said:
I'm with him.

A8R32-MVP is great too if you can afford it. :)

A8R32-MVP Deluxe is what I have and it's sooo nice. Big plus is that the chipset cooling is passive. I HATE chipset fans on MB's, they blow!

abit at8 is a very nice board Crossfire and OTES cooling. Very overclocking friendly as well...

I finally went with the Asus A8R-MVP.

I have my uber budget dual X1300pro crossfire setup complete at last.

The board is a good overclocker. The dual X1300pro's are pretty useful too. I'd say they're about as fast as a single X1600XT, maybe a little faster.

Certainly handles Half-Life2: Episode1 well enough.
No noticable slowdown at 1024x768 with 8xAF, 4xAA, adaptiveAA, full HDR and that colour correction option on.

It`s coming...when?SoonTM:D There`s also some old Xpress200 based ones, but they`re not that great AFAIK

Back