Things that annoy you in cinemas.

nintenho

Veteran
What are the things that annoy you about watching a movie in a theater?

1. People who grab their chins while watching a movie to look introspective: They're irritating and full of themselves.
2. Security guards: Got kicked out last week trying to movie-hop when my friend opened the exit since my friend didn't know the guy was a security gaurd since he wore a sports jacket over his uniform and had normal pants on.
3. People who give you a "what are you going to do about it" attitude when you want to get past them to your seat and they refuse to awknowledge your existence and scoot back...idiots.

I think people that annoy me include people like you. ;)

Well, not really perhaps. If you have the common sense to shut the hell up and sit still during the actual movie, without poking me in the back with your knees or throwing candy or popcorn around.

Loads of young 'uns these days have absolutely zero regard for other people at the movies, and are complete pains in the you-know-what.

Guden Oden said:
I think people that annoy me include people like you. ;)

Well, not really perhaps. If you have the common sense to shut the hell up and sit still during the actual movie, without poking me in the back with your knees or throwing candy or popcorn around.

Loads of young 'uns these days have absolutely zero regard for other people at the movies, and are complete pains in the you-know-what.
er....should I be defending myself?

Once a person sitting a few seats away from me answered his cell in the middle of the movie. He talked on it for a few minutes before finally hanging up. That was the most annoying thing I've ever been subjected to in a movie theater....

What annoys me in cinemas? Other people, basically. No-one these days seems to be able to STFU for more then about 30 seconds with their brains exploding with all the inane blather they feel they've got to spout.

So I don't go to the movies often, or if I do I make sure I go to see *really* crap and unpopular films! :devilish:

The cost. why does it cost £9 to go to a movie, with stinky people around, when you can rent a DVD for £4 thats better quality.

Ads. Again, Im paying money to see a movie, so dont want to see ads for life assurance or macdonalds. Previews are ok though.

Mobiles

Talking

Smelly people

Tall people - Well, people taller than me, so I cant see over their heads. Im 6'3 by the way, and I make sure I slump in my chair if theres anyone behind me.

The seats. If I slump, I cant fit my knees in the space, so either have to sit with my legs way apart, or strick my knees into the kneck of the guy in front.

Lots more. Then again Im in a grumpy mood at the moment, and if Im feeling happy I dont mind movies at all.

People who bring noise makers into movies with the attitude that we are all just there killing time, as if we are in some quarantine together and not necessarily there to take in what's being offered on screen and through the audio system.

These "noisemakers" invariably come in two varieties:

1. Babies.
2. GSM/Cell phones.

My god, people! Get rid of those things. Nobody wants or needs them! :p

Then, of course, you have the rowdy gang of teenagers who own the planet and will make any DTS or THX system humble with the utterance of "dude" or "yeah". I think they alone make it tempting to start a new career as a cinema security guard, if for no other reason than to crack some skulls with a Maglite the size of a wild boar. *smack* *thwap* *crack* *splurt* (hmm, I must be in a somewhat pissy mood today....:smile:)

wireframe said:
These "noisemakers" invariably come in two varieties:

1. Babies.
2. GSM/Cell phones.
For babies, one solution offered here in Norway is "baby cinema", special runs of the most popular movies where you are allowed/encouraged to bring along babies. Other than these special runs, it is commonly understood that babies are unwelcome at the cinema. For cell-phones, I'd suggest the following approach:
  • Instruct all moviegoers to turn off the cellphone just before the movie starts.
  • If someone in the audience is detected talking on a cell-phone during the movie, stop the movie until the talker has left the cinema, and make it abundantly clear to everyone that the movie won't be resumed until the person in question has left.
"Emergencies" are sometimes stated as a reason not to just ban/jam cell-phones in cinemas altogether; for this I'd say that if there is an in-cinema emergency, then you will need to stop the movie anyway, if the emergency concerns a situation outside the cinema, then you will have to leave in a hurry anyway, and if the situation is NOT an emergency, talking on the cell-phone is just seriously rude.

Apart from the obvious noise making that already have been mentioned:

nintenho said:
2. Security guards: Got kicked out last week trying to movie-hop when my friend opened the exit since my friend didn't know the guy was a security gaurd since he wore a sports jacket over his uniform and had normal pants on.

People going in/out of the theater while the movie plays. Good thing that it's easy to throw them out as they already are at the door.

constant giggling/whispering at completely random points in the movie since obviously these people arent watching and rather talk

getting the back of my seat kicked repeatedly

the "schwick" sound my shoes make anytime i lift them off the glue floor

ALL electronic devices that have an audible alarm

having fantastic people completely take up one or both your arm rests.

perhaps the biggest of all is the retarded price a trip to the movies has gotten too (at least in the US)

Last edited by a moderator:
nintenho said:
What are the things that annoy you about watching a movie in a theater?

1. People who grab their chins while watching a movie to look introspective: They're irritating and full of themselves.
3. People who give you a "what are you going to do about it" attitude when you want to get past them to your seat and they refuse to awknowledge your existence and scoot back...idiots.

What annoys me? The ultra liberal scrpits.

the bar separating the seats. I hardly have gone to the cinemas in the last few years. Mostly I go when Im with my wife in south africa. They should have every other bar raiseable.

epic

Basic said:
People going in/out of the theater while the movie plays. Good thing that it's easy to throw them out as they already are at the door.
Oh no, we're fucking pros. We check the show times online and go at the beginning of each of the movies. We usually get three complete movies done in a day before we get bored of the popcorn.

The ads and maybe the ticket prices, but mostly the ads. My friends and I sat through almost 30minutes of ads when we went to see war of the worlds.....

when people inappropriately laugh at parts of the movie meant to be serious...

when people laugh at an unfortunate event in a movie that is neither funny in real life or the context of the movie...

in addition to annoying me, this disturbs me. when I think about the future of humanity, i think of all these people and realize we are doomed.

Back