How fast have you driven your car/motorbike?

170km/h in my '93 Crown Vic. It would easily go faster, but since it is 12yrs old and my tires are only rated for 180km/h I'd rather play it safe.

Fast lane traffic on the 401 regularly moves at 140km/h. Unless it's rush hour - then it's more like 4km/h.

Ford Explorer

Deepak said:
I have driven my Motorbike at 100 km/h max.:oops:

I am living in USA and drove (only one time!) old model V8 Explorer at 120 mph but this is due to flaw in recalled engine computer. Design limit is 112MPH due to tires.

hmm, around ~280km/h... I found the acceleration in another car to be far more exhilarating though... 0 to 100kmh / 60mph in under 3.5 seconds and it kept pushing right up to 200kmh with ease...

Simon F said:
I think you will generally find that, assuming the right sized tyres are fitted on the car, that speedometers tend to report higher speeds than the speed the car is actually travelling at.

You might want to confirm the speed with, say, a GPS receiver.

Or a police speed camera? :p

Deepak said:
And what about Motorbike owners here, it is a lot more challenging driving bikes at such speeds.

~110mph on my 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 K1 and that's definitely more challenging than 160mph on a superbike like Hayabusa.... :D

When I was test-driving the first car I bought (and still own), which is a 1.8-litre Ford (it's known as a "Ford Laser TX3" here in Malaysia, don't know what it's known as in other parts of the world, if it was even available... it was a classic "underground" car back then, which was early-90s), I went up to 170kph on a highway, with the owner/seller of the car gripping the passenger seat. I wanted to go faster, to approach the limit (which would be about +/- 200kph) but I decided that was enough. This was the fastest I drove a car.

Simon F said:
I think you will generally find that, assuming the right sized tyres are fitted on the car, that speedometers tend to report higher speeds than the speed the car is actually travelling at.

You might want to confirm the speed with, say, a GPS receiver.

In most cars I know of (well in Mercedes and BMW I know for sure) it shows exactly 3 km/h more than the actual speed. Provided you have the right tyre size on, of course. The size is written in the variant coding in the instrument cluster (I dislike calling it speedometer since it actually deos much more than that).

_xxx_ said:
In most cars I know of (well in Mercedes and BMW I know for sure) it shows exactly 3 km/h more than the actual speed. Provided you have the right tyre size on, of course. The size is written in the variant coding in the instrument cluster (I dislike calling it speedometer since it actually deos much more than that).

AFAIK, that's at 60km/h though (my last car, a 328i had the 3 km/h difference). I was under the impression the difference extends linearly the faster you drive (i.e. at 120km/h it'd be a ~6 km/h difference).

Phil said:
AFAIK, that's at 60km/h though (my last car, a 328i had the 3 km/h difference). I was under the impression the difference extends linearly the faster you drive (i.e. at 120km/h it'd be a ~6 km/h difference).

In all current Mercedes it's definitely always +3 km/h, maybe BMW handles that differently a bit. But I guess it's probably the tyre tolerance you've seen there.

Back