Teh Phant0m about to vaporize.

Guden Oden

Legend
Or go the way of the dodo one could say just as well.

Oh BOO HOO. They have almost no money left!

Another of Tim Roberts' little scam-companies about to go bust... Or not so little maybe, how many millions of investors' money did he manage to burn this time? I'm sure he'll blame it on [H], which is where I saw the blurb.

I'm sure Kyle's a bit ticked off they're going out of business before he has a chance to reclaim all that cash he had to blow on that lawsuit they filed. Maybe he could sue Tim in civil court or something.

What, you don't think Tim Roberts can find a quick $11.5 mil in capital to get it launched? (Oh, and an additional $10.7 mil to "break even" according to that article)

Hey, they're only at a net loss of $27.25 mil so far and they have been getting LOTS of publicity lately.... :devilish:

On behalf of the Protection of the Memory of the Dodo Association, of which i'm a co-founder, i am ashamed of you!
The Dodo is always made fun of in arguments He has nothing to do with.
It is because of my position in the PMDA that i demand you leave the Dodo out of this.

On top of the $11.5 million needed to actually launch the Phantom and achieve its first 10,000 sales, Infinium also extimates that it's going to require around $10.7 million beyond that to achieve cash flow break even, bringing the firm's total funding needs to $20.2 million.
Shouldn't that last number be $22.2 million? Or am I adding all fuzzy again. :?

I hereby apologize for smearing the Dodo's good name by associating it with such a group of no-good, rat-bastard scumbags as Infinum Labs. I'm sorry! :devilish:

Qroach said:
Goodbye phantom. It was a scam from the very start IMO.

Yep, that's my thoughts as well. I have to wonder just how well they paid themselves. Poor suckered investors....

All this time and I'm still trying to think of a nifty tie-in slogan for Phantom console and Phantom comic character. :D

Ty said:
Qroach said:
Goodbye phantom. It was a scam from the very start IMO.

Yep, that's my thoughts as well. I have to wonder just how well they paid themselves. Poor suckered investors....

Poor suckered investors?!?! Poor stupid investors!!! Who in their right mind would invest in such a wreckless project!!! An idiot.
:devilish:

Boy, aren't you guys being particularly nasty? It seems odd that you would want to stifle innovation by wishing ill will toward Infinium Labs. They are just one of the many entrepreneurs out there trying to make a go of selling a new product in this capitalist society. Don't you think choice is good? I might understand if you had invested money in this company and were loosing your investment. However, I don't think there is anybody here that gains anything by Infinium Labs going out of business. Don't we as consumers all gain if they do succeed in launching the Phantom? Sorry, I just don't understand your logic guys.

Tommy McClain

AzBat said:
Boy, aren't you guys being particularly nasty? It seems odd that you would want to stifle innovation by wishing ill will toward Infinium Labs. They are just one of the many entrepreneurs out there trying to make a go of selling a new product in this capitalist society. Don't you think choice is good? I might understand if you had invested money in this company and were loosing your investment. However, I don't think there is anybody here that gains anything by Infinium Labs going out of business. Don't we as consumers all gain if they do succeed in launching the Phantom? Sorry, I just don't understand your logic guys.

Tommy McClain

Personally, my logic is that i'm not "happy" to see them fail, of course i'm not, but it was pure suicide to even think about launching a console in a market that is dominated by HUGE mammoth of companies with virtually limitless funds (compared to IL). That's why i would NEVER EVER EVER have invested one penny in this project, and why i don't feel sorry for the investors, cause they should have known better.

london-boy said:
Personally, my logic is that i'm not "happy" to see them fail, of course i'm not, but it was pure suicide to even think about launching a console in a market that is dominated by HUGE mammoth of companies with virtually limitless funds (compared to IL). That's why i would NEVER EVER EVER have invested one penny in this project, and why i don't feel sorry for the investors, cause they should have known better.

You have your reasons for not investing, but the current Infinium investors had their own reasons for doing so. That doesn't mean you're right and they're wrong and vice-versa. Yes, there are a lot of new companies out there that make you wonder why people invested in them, but they did. That doesn't mean you should have the kind of attitude I've seen directed at Infinium. If it's a bad investment, it will fail. If it is not, then it might still fail, but something might come out their attempt. Maybe their IP gets purchased by a bigger company and used in future products? Who knows what will happen.

Personally I've seen a few other companies like Infinium trying to get in the console market. Yes, they failed and they deserved to. However, sometimes you never know what will happen. So I can understand why people go ahead and make the attempt anyway. Do I think Infinium is fighting a loosing battle? I'm not sure. If its intention is to compete directly with PlayStation and Xbox, then I can see it not happening at least in their first-generation. Though that doesn't mean I'm going to wish that they fail.

Now, if their intention is to create their own initial niche with more mainstream type content that is based on their subscription model, then I can see them making some small headway. That way reminds me more of the satellite TV and radio business than anything. Did you have that same attitude with them back when they were trying to enter the market?

Tommy McClain

A company can compete in the game machine market without having to face direct competition from big, bad Microsoft/Nintendo/etc. There are other demographics to sell to, and different products with different business models and requirements for profitability, like those console-in-a-controller plug-in systems, have always co-existed and flourished.

If it's indeed true that Phantom could sustain a viable business with only a few million more in funding, they'd have a thing or two on the goliaths that have to spend billions just to struggle to be profitable at all. Sony's PlayStation division, for example, runs a mature business (profts from on-going segments are expected to pay off operations and fund next-generation R&D) and commands about 70% share of the current generation, yet they've been losing money for the last six months (and ironically, the "money-pit" Xbox business is seemingly about to post a profitable quarter!)

AzBat said:
You have your reasons for not investing, but the current Infinium investors had their own reasons for doing so. That doesn't mean you're right and they're wrong and vice-versa. Yes, there are a lot of new companies out there that make you wonder why people invested in them, but they did. That doesn't mean you should have the kind of attitude I've seen directed at Infinium. If it's a bad investment, it will fail. If it is not, then it might still fail, but something might come out their attempt. Maybe their IP gets purchased by a bigger company and used in future products? Who knows what will happen.
They deserve what they get, Phantom was vaporware from the get-go with anyone willing to do just a tad of homework.

Personally I've seen a few other companies like Infinium trying to get in the console market. Yes, they failed and they deserved to. However, sometimes you never know what will happen. So I can understand why people go ahead and make the attempt anyway. Do I think Infinium is fighting a loosing battle? I'm not sure. If its intention is to compete directly with PlayStation and Xbox, then I can see it not happening at least in their first-generation. Though that doesn't mean I'm going to wish that they fail.
I will. They advertised and shot off their mouth as the second coming even though everyone was saying their plan wouldn't work, I'm enjoying immensly watching it fall down around 'em. :devilish:

And yeah, I am a vindictive and nasty little fuckwit for my attitude....but it's how I feel.

Tommy,

I don't think anyone here is expressing happiness in seeing a competitor not being able to launch their product - it's more aimed at Tim Roberts image of starting companies and vaporizing huge investments by naiv investors that was uncovered by [H] a while ago (and their little investigation that led to a lawsuit) which put the whole Phantom project in a very questionable light.

Are we surprised knowing what Tim Roberts past is? No. I think this quote from you sums up best what we feel:

AzBat said:
Personally I've seen a few other companies like Infinium trying to get in the console market.

...and as others, I believe the Phantom project was nothing but a scam from the very start.

AzBat said:
It seems odd that you would want to stifle innovation by wishing ill will toward Infinium Labs.

Innovation? Yet another company with the bright idea of trying to dress up an x86 home computer in a big ugly console-ish box? I don't think so.

I am happy they are about to die.
:D :D :D

I think with innovation he was refering to the subscription based model Infinium had planned for the Phantom...

Back