Why can't NVIDIA or ATI finance a game specially for their

This isn't about making a well-optimized game, or a wide range of games. It's about building a more compelling tech demo than we currently see, something that will say more about what sort of graphics we may see in the future with the given hardware.

I think you're missing the obvious.Doesn't new game in development based on unreal 3 engine run on latest cards?Granted,framerates are around 30 but the point is people with latest cards could be playing games that look almost as good as the one using unreal 3 engine.
If that doesn't mean the customers get cheated I don't know what does

I think NV's and ATI's development cycles on new hardware is shorter than most games. Also unless you plan on using the ref rast. you need the hardware finished before you can work on the game engine.

Why fund 1 game completely when you could spread the million or two million for that matter, by paying for 10 or 15 games to inlucde the latest bells and whsitles for your hardware? the end result is the same, you have games that will push the hardware sales.

I've often wondered this myself. I think the main reason they don't do that, is because they aren't in the software business, and it's extremly hit or miss. They way they handle it now, they can always throw some money towards the hit games.

Sorry for bumping an older thread, but I do wish the companies would make at least some simple game that could demonstrate every new technique possible with new iterations of cards...I was thinking space shooter, but an even easier game to make is a 3d fighter, 2 characters and an arena, once you've spent the money on making a moderately balanced fighting engine, all you ever have to spend on is better graphics with each iteration, which shouldn't be a big deal...oh well *keeps dreaming*

Back