Tecmo's Tomonobu Itagaki

Lazy8s

Veteran
New interview with Team Ninja's head here:
http://games.kikizo.com/features/itagaki_interview.asp

Tecmo's also continuing their business expansion: beefing up development with more staff, creating a mobile and network division (DS and PSP possibilities and network games), and organizing an operational structure. The new organization will have Team Ninja executives overseeing general game development at Tecmo.

Kikizo: As a developer and publisher you have a close relationship with Microsoft, but with Sony PSP and Nintendo DS, do these technologies tempt you develop on those platforms?

Itagaki: Yes I do, and I will.
Great news! I hope they make some of their DOA games for PSP. Not only it would be a grat showcase for the system, but I really think their accessibility is a perfect fit for a handheld. DOAs have always been very easy to pick up and play, which is an essential quality for a handheld game.

marconelly! said:
Kikizo: As a developer and publisher you have a close relationship with Microsoft, but with Sony PSP and Nintendo DS, do these technologies tempt you develop on those platforms?

Itagaki: Yes I do, and I will.
Great news! I hope they make some of their DOA games for PSP. Not only it would be a grat showcase for the system, but I really think their accessibility is a perfect fit for a handheld. DOAs have always been very easy to pick up and play, which is an essential quality for a handheld game.

That would make me buy the PSP, I haven't decided yet (to buy a PSP or not) and I hope they don't make a DOA on PSP, but a Ninja Gaiden (which I would care less on a portable), I will be able to keep my "Wait until it has the game I like" stance.

cthellis42 said:
Just what kind of breast physics is the PSP capable of? :p

At least you can say they're leading edge in more than one area!! :D

I always wonder if TN wanted to release DOA3 or NG on the PS2, how would it stack up against the Box? Then again they might have played on the strength of the PS2 to include or improve on physics/particles/frame rates.

Jov said:
cthellis42 said:
I always wonder if TN wanted to release DOA3 or NG on the PS2, how would it stack up against the Box? Then again they might have played on the strength of the PS2 to include or improve on physics/particles/frame rates.

Uh your kidding right?

matroxgaming said:
Jov said:
cthellis42 said:
Uh your kidding right?
Hey, clean that quote attribution up a lil'! :p

matroxgaming said:
Jov said:

Uh your kidding right?

I think you're reading me wrongly. I didn't say it will be equal or better overall. I meant with the given PS2 weaknesses in texture, AA and the rest, what can Team Ninja pull out of the PS2 hat when playing on its strengths on a game like DOA3.

No, I don't expect DOA2 level graphics given some of the current titles recently.

I never had too much time for Itagaki as the only recent games he's been involved in that I've liked have been the original DOA and Ninja Gaiden, but after his ripping on the Gaming-Age NG review I look at him in a whole new light. :LOL:

Ug Lee said:
I never had too much time for Itagaki as the only recent games he's been involved in that I've liked have been the original DOA and Ninja Gaiden, but after his ripping on the Gaming-Age NG review I look at him in a whole new light. :LOL:

Do you have a link to that? Sounds like a good read :D

zurich said:
Ug Lee said:

Do you have a link to that? Sounds like a good read :D

Here's a Link to the Gaming-age interview with Itagaki. :D

IMO the GA review was spot on. Anyway, Itagaki didn't lie when he said: You know, most developers allow the media to review their game and leave it up to them to say whatever they want to say. But people like Kojima and I, we review their review! And we deal with them in a different way.

I disagree, Ninja Gaiden is definitely a 9+/10 AAA title. I just hope the sequel has a little less Tomb Raider influence.

Oh, and Itagaki-san rules :D

thop:
IMO the GA review was spot on.
Criticisms in the review were baseless: since when should the number of moves in an action-adventure match that of a fighting game? By that standard, all other action games would fail.

To further invalidate itself, the review wasn't even factually accurate with its claims: incredibly, Ryu does have more moves in Ninja Gaiden than in the Dead or Alive series.

I'm not saying the game sucks, and i agree that it is an AAA game (it will self XBOXs by itself). I just liked that he didn't tune in into the massive hype like every other website.

Back