The Intel Execution in [2024]

They might not cease to exist, but I think their days as one of the leaders in technology are numbered.

I think even this is premature.

Major companies have taken bad stumbles before. AMD did so not that long ago. Intel is unlikely to go out of business for simple strategic reasons (as alluded to above), and so long as they remain in business they always just have to execute well at the same time as they get a bit lucky, and suddenly they are on top again.

They are unlikely to recover in the next few years, but never say never.

$30 billion in revenue?! I don't think even Sony gets $30 billion revenue from hardware, let alone the chip manufacturer.
They just multiplied 150 mill PS1 sales by a chip cost estimate of $200 and stated that as the potential revenue. Nonsense, obviously.

September 17, 2024
Intel’s Falcon Shores Future Looks Bleak as It Concedes AI Training to GPU Rivals
Intel’s Falcon Shores future looks bleak as it concedes AI training to GPU rivals On Monday, Intel sent a letter to employees detailing its comeback plan after an abysmal second-quarter earnings report with critics calling for CEO Pat Gelsinger to resign.

The letter detailed the company’s plan to center its products around the x86 architecture. That could be bad news for GPU codenamed Falcon Shores, as Gelsinger previously said he will not compete with Nvidia and AMD in the AI training space.

I think Qualcomm is probably one of the potential buyers that's least likely to have antitrust issues. Although I don't think Intel is going to be receptive anyway.
Also I think the first thing Qualcomm would do is probably to get rid of the fabs.

I think Qualcomm is probably one of the potential buyers that's least likely to have antitrust issues. Although I don't think Intel is going to be receptive anyway.
Also I think the first thing Qualcomm would do is probably to get rid of the fabs.
NVIDIA has shittons of bucks to spend.

I'm not sure why anyone would be interested in buying Intel right now.

This rumor seems like someone trying to influence the stock price and little else. Same for the console one prior to it.

If they did that, they wouldn't get approval. The government opinion here is that the fabs are a strategic asset that need to be maintained. If there is the rumored "external pressure" on Qualcomm to buy Intel, the reason for that would be that the fabs need >$100B investment in the next few years to stay current, Intel cannot fund that out of their own operations, and the capital markets just suck right now to the point where if Intel attempted to raise that the creditors would end up owning more than half the company. So the government is trying to find a relevant American company to save them.

NVIDIA wouldn't get past the anti-trust.
If the sale is a rescue attempt, US regulators will wave it through, and as two American companies that don't really directly depend on much things overseas, the government would just tell any foreign regulators to go kick rocks. Antitrust isn't an issue here. NV just probably really doesn't want to.

You need to think outside the box.

Like... Oracle.
That's a horrifying thought.

Antitrust isn't an issue here. NV just probably really doesn't want to.
NVIDIA is probably uninterested in buying Intel.
If Jensen accepts such a deal, he would probably dismantle Intel, keep only 2 departments: the foundry and the CPU department (to make CPUs with X86, ARM and a mixture of both). He would make Intel very lean and probably very mean too.

Inventors will dump huge amounts of cash into the new NVIDIA + Intel company too.

Last edited:
Back