Portable PS5? *spawn*

That in itself is not going to be a trivial implementation given the size and power constraints.

The current handhelds with 128 bit LPDDR5 are already tight fits spacing wise.

You'd also basically still be doubling the memory portion of the power budget relatively speaking.

I dunno about that

1709280972690.png

There would be plenty of room for more ram it's all bunched next to the cpu, you could shuffle stuff around and fit in more ram.

1709280957324.png
here I believe the ram is on the bottom under that thermal pad.

Looking at the Steam Deck OLED board, space doesn't seem to be that critical of a constraint:

The question mark about power consumption implications remains, however.

There is more fuel to the Vita 2 fire.

The make or break for this device is GTA VI support.
A vita 2 wouldn't work

I believe there is only one reason a xbox m or ps5 mobile would work and that is because you don't need to support a completely different platform.

For Ms at least they have the series s already getting supported which sets a base line for what a mobile console should be. As long as the series m performs as well as the series s there isn't an issue all games just work.

Sony would have an issue where they either have to introduce new lower specs or to match ps5 in performance. I don't think we are close enough for a ps5/series x portable console.

A vita 2 wouldn't work

I believe there is only one reason a xbox m or ps5 mobile would work and that is because you don't need to support a completely different platform.

For Ms at least they have the series s already getting supported which sets a base line for what a mobile console should be. As long as the series m performs as well as the series s there isn't an issue all games just work.

Sony would have an issue where they either have to introduce new lower specs or to match ps5 in performance. I don't think we are close enough for a ps5/series x portable console.

There is only a single number digits of PS5 only games and the majority of those are Sony 1st party.

If this system is able to come out relatively soon, i.e 2025 and before, it's still worthwhile, as Rockstar will have made a port of GTA VI for this. The device will have caught the tail end of cross gen.

Later than 2025 then it gets hard to justify a PS4 level portable device.

There is only a single number digits of PS5 only games and the majority of those are Sony 1st party.

If this system is able to come out relatively soon, i.e 2025 and before, it's still worthwhile, as Rockstar will have made a port of GTA VI for this. The device will have caught the tail end of cross gen.

Later than 2025 then it gets hard to justify a PS4 level portable device.
Not sure why you think Rockstar would have to do anything for a device.

They aren't even putting the PC version out at the same time as the console version of the game. They can do whatever they want

I don't see how a portable for PS4 games would make any sense. Maybe something compatible with PS5 games where somehow Sony manually reduces the resolution of the games (like you can do with homebrew) and makes a list of compatible games that gets expanded over time. For new games developers would have the choice to make a dedicated version. But it's all so nebulous that I can't see it happening.

Steam deck can't even play PS4 games at 1080p with the same settings as a PS4. A portable PS4 would need to be beefy for parity with the console.

I don't see how a portable for PS4 games would make any sense. Maybe something compatible with PS5 games where somehow Sony manually reduces the resolution of the games (like you can do with homebrew) and makes a list of compatible games that gets expanded over time. For new games developers would have the choice to make a dedicated version. But it's all so nebulous that I can't see it happening.

Steam deck can't even play PS4 games at 1080p with the same settings as a PS4. A portable PS4 would need to be beefy for parity with the console.
A PS4 portable is reasonable because most games before 2024 have PS4 version. And Switch 2 games can be ported to PS4 Portable for new titles after 2025.

But in theory PS4 Portable should release as soon as possible, even earlier than Switch 2 (this holiday). But there is no leak about dev kit of PS4 Portable.

A PS4 portable is reasonable because most games before 2024 have PS4 version. And Switch 2 games can be ported to PS4 Portable for new titles after 2025.

But in theory PS4 Portable should release as soon as possible, even earlier than Switch 2 (this holiday). But there is no leak about dev kit of PS4 Portable.
How does this make it reasonable?

There's only ONE scenario in my mind where a portable Sony device makes sense.. and that is if it plays everything PS4 and up, and PS5 games simply work on the device. Because if not... it will fail. Period.

I simply do not believe that Sony could release and succeed with a new portable which has its own development environment, requiring developers to make bespoke games for it... without being detrimental to their traditional console business. Any resources put towards making games for the portable device would detract from the PS5.. which is already fighting an uphill battle of consumers waiting for next generation experiences.

The only way it works, is if you do what Nintendo did, and consolidate both portable and traditional console markets, and focus your developers to hit both.

I think a PS4 portable that's sold as a legacy gaming device would be successful as long as they temper expectations.

So now ps5 games ? Just all ps4 games ? I don't think that will work because switch 2 is likely going to be more powerful than a steam deck and that can play modern games. The time for a ps4 portable would have been 2020/21

Would it need a devkit? If you build and run a PS4 executable, it'd use the PS4 devkit.

The main issue I think with running PS4 games is they interface is designed for a large screen and might not work well on a small screen. I don't know how Switch does it. Does it's ports get refined UI's for the small screen, or just used exactly as for TV?

So now ps5 games ? Just all ps4 games ? I don't think that will work because switch 2 is likely going to be more powerful than a steam deck and that can play modern games. The time for a ps4 portable would have been 2020/21
As a high end gaming device, sure. What about a cheaper option though? If game streaming to phones isn't hugely popular, which Switch still shows there's a handheld market, is there room for a... $150 Portable PS that plays the PS4 library? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even if not, a portable PS will likely be a different proposition to the Switch2 as that's the home console for Nintendo. Sony already has their home console so a portable would be something else, like a Switch for PS, cheap, portable, plugs into a TV. Plus it would play the F2P games better than the Chromebooks being discussed elsewhere. If cheap enough, it might have its niche. Although Sony isn't into 'cheap' these days. PSVR2 is their last adventure into generosity. As PSPortal would be immediately redundant as the PS4Portable would serve the same role while also being a full console.

there is already Portal.
If they'd release a "portable" PS4, the only scenario i could see would be a phone with a controller like attachement that could run PS4 games.
but even that is not necessary with the playstation app on any phone.

Portal is pretty much useless though and certainly doesn't compete with NSW or phones. A PS4P would mean the end of Portal as a bad idea, just drop it, and sell a better device with infinitely more functionality. The existence of the PS app on any phone doesn't serve the same market as a dedicated handled. Cloud streaming isn't popular, and local streaming is very limited (and so also unpopular). Actual game hardware you can play anywhere and connect to a TV has a clear market as shown by Nintendo, but they can't (or won't) get the price down. However, if Sony can't compete with Nintendo on price, a PS4P would be kinda redundant I guess as people wanting a play anywhere devices would like go with Nintendo. Sony would want something that can play the core games in better quality at no effort to the devs to offer a differentiated product.

A portable PS4 would get destroyed by the media, a 400$ (?) piece of hardware that can only play PS4 games while Nintendo comes out at the same price and supports GTA 6 or something? It would be ridiculed more than the portal.

They either support PS5 games or they shouldn't even try.

Im not sure i see how Sony makes money from this. Anyone in the PS ecosystem already owns PS4 games either digitally or disc. Will Sony make remasters of games? That would require a pretty powerful chip and developers working on their old games

I just dont see the market for people that want to replay their old ps4 games on the go. And given that Sony wants 200 usd for the Portal.. i dont see a portable PS4 being cheap either

Why would it cost $400? I'm thinking more a $400 NSW2 that plays GTA VI versus a $150-200 PS4P that plays Fortnite better than NSW and Chromebooks.

I just dont see the market for people that want to replay their old ps4 games on the go.
It'd be for a different audience I think. Think an entry-level priced PS4 that's also a handheld. It'd sell as an entry-level console, like XBSS.
And given that Sony wants 200 usd for the Portal.. i dont see a portable PS4 being cheap either
Well that's the thing. If Sony go for a premium price, a PS4 Portable makes zero sense. It only makes sense IMO as an entry-level machine. Sony would make their money selling content - 30% cut on in game consumables plus PSN subs - along with extending their ecosystem. It wouldn't necessarily be a big money-maker but it would disrupt Nintendo's handheld monopoly and go toe-to-toe with a price reduced NSW1. That said, I expect NSW sells more as a kids toy and PS won't have the child-friendly library on Nintendo.

Back