Switch 2 Speculation

Is sub 100 GB/s LPDDR5X enough for 4TF Nvidia GPU?

Highly doubt it..

I mean, 4TF as in "Series S performance" is a "No". Well not with Ampere anyway, if this was an Ada design then could be, but it's Ampere by all accounts.

The fans are delusional for thinking it's anywhere near Series S, then again that's the literal definition of "fan". It was always short for "fanatic" and despite being shortened the definition doesn't seem to have changed.

Last edited:
Is sub 100 GB/s LPDDR5X enough for 4TF Nvidia GPU?

Highly doubt it..
Rumors put the bandwidth at ~125GB/s. That would be a 9x increase over the Switch. Pascal+ had an improved memory compression system, too.
I dont think that Switch 2 gets over 3 TFLOPs in the dock mode. Bandwidth will be just fine.

Rumors put the bandwidth at ~125GB/s. That would be a 9x increase over the Switch. Pascal+ had an improved memory compression system, too.
I dont think that Switch 2 gets over 3 TFLOPs in the dock mode. Bandwidth will be just fine.
I thought Switch was 25GB/s?

How would an extra cooler work in a dock? The only thing they could do is put an extra fan in the dock no?

There's an attachable fan cooler for some recent cameras, seems a little over the top for the Switch though as you have to use a pair of thumbscrews to tighten it to the body:

Side note: rumor that AC Shadows is indeed getting a Switch 2 release. If so I will high five myself for making the correct prediction there.

How would an extra cooler work in a dock? The only thing they could do is put an extra fan in the dock no?
I'm not an engineer to be familiar with the physics of heat dissipation, but after all there are already fan "trays" you can buy to cool down gaming laptops. It's not like those require anything special as they are vendor agnostic. I'm sure Nintendo and Nvidia should be able to design a dock that helps with heat dissipation.

I guess my point is how much would an extra external fan be able to push the clocks on a portable device? Probably not a whole lot so keep your expectations in check guys.

The original Switch rumor of a Dock with an external GPU builtin remains the best way to do something like that.

I wish they'd sell a default Switch 2 and dock for $400. Then if you wanted the Dock Pro with external GPU (doubling the power) for say $300. I think they would get a ton of sales.

I guess my point is how much would an extra external fan be able to push the clocks on a portable device? Probably not a whole lot so keep your expectations in check guys.

The original Switch rumor of a Dock with an external GPU builtin remains the best way to do something like that.

I wish they'd sell a default Switch 2 and dock for $400. Then if you wanted the Dock Pro with external GPU (doubling the power) for say $300. I think they would get a ton of sales.

The answer to "how much can a dock cool a device?" is "a surprising amount" but I'm not sure if Nintendo can make it work at a Nintendo level of friendliness. Check the video I posted for how this sort of thing currently works.

But I can't see Nintendo requiring customers to screw their Switch flush to a heatsink/fan everytime. Maybe there's a clever engineering solution to do this in a super easy manner, like slotting the Switch into the dock just this well enough for you.

Last edited:
To think this thread is almost 5 years old and still no Switch 2.

An unclear vision of the future, suboptimal software development pipeline, and unknown hardware configuration plans must make it overly choatic there for them ...

Presumably their revenues have stayed at least level with the peak Switch sales years?

So there hasn't been an economic impetus to refresh the product offerings?

I just had a random thought that an evolution of the Switch concept would be the inclusion of AR glasses, so the player can have a big screen anywhere they go.

Back