Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

The potential economic collapse is also a potential health disaster. You create a situation where medical supplies and pharmaceuticals become rationed and otherwise mild medical conditions become life threatening and further drain on health care.
That'll happen when there's more people infected than medical resources to deal with them, and world-wide, you won't be able to buy in more resources. Wuhan has far more capacity to care for people because of previous investment thanks to SARS.

The stupid thing with the economic damage is it's man-made and completely artificial. Everyone stops working because no-one is working; the actual human capacity to remain productive isn't hindered by anything except the social rules as to when people will and won't work.

The response needs to be measured to prevent a different crisis and hope to slow or contain covid-19 enough that an immunization becomes available.
That's the plan, but at the moment no-one knows how much action is needed to slow by how much time to reach an unknown deadline when some sort of vaccine or cure becomes available, which may be a year or more away. The public taking it seriously enough to actually apply proper hygiene and make sensible choices is going to be essential to slowing it enough to have at least a shot at a medical breakthrough before human cost is too great.

Meanwhile, Italy is finally doing a Wuhan scale lockdown. A full 16 million people in lockdown ...

Too late the lock in Italy. Only useful to maybe slow down a bit the spreading of the disease. A lot of people went away from the locked zones: so they'll spread the disease elsewere. We will be the first without the virus at the end [emoji28]

Just put them all on a boat that sails to international waters to make your country's number look better.

Too late the lock in Italy. Only useful to maybe slow down a bit the spreading of the disease. A lot of people went away from the locked zones: so they'll spread the disease elsewere. We will be the first without the virus at the end [emoji28]

Late but not too late ... the questions is will Italy be as effective at it as China, where it has clearly helped?

Late but not too late ... the questions is will Italy be as effective at it as China, where it has clearly helped?
Hopefully it will work. There is significantly more population in China, so China had to move faster. But they also have the largest ground military in the world (developed really to control their own population imo) and they can enforce travel bans etc.

Not sure how effective they will be in stopping people from crossing out of quarantine areas.

88040751_10157977562845359_5618994520948473856_n.jpg

This reminds of of the bird and swine flue cases. Just taken to the more extreme.
I doubt it is as serious as they make it to be.

This reminds of of the bird and swine flue cases. Just taken to the more extreme.
I doubt it is as serious as they make it to be.
Why? Why, when presented with hard and fast data from the WHO, do you think it's not as serious as described? Do you think the contagiousness is just going to stop at some point of its own accord and the disease will stop spreading? Or do you think it'll become less fatal? Or the numbers on serious reactions and deaths are fictitious and there's nothing like as many life-threatening/ending cases?

Why? Why, when presented with hard and fast data from the WHO, do you think it's not as serious as described? Do you think the contagiousness is just going to stop at some point of its own accord and the disease will stop spreading? Or do you think it'll become less fatal? Or the numbers on serious reactions and deaths are fictitious and there's nothing like as many life-threatening/ending cases?
Because exaggeration has always been a thing with flu type viruses. It very similar to the other cases. They were exaggerated. Sensitive groups are always more likely to be affected critically just like previous flu mutations. I expect many to get it, get sick develop immunity and thats it.

Because exaggeration has always been a thing with flu type viruses. It very similar to the other cases. They were exaggerated. Sensitive groups are always more likely to be affected critically just like previous flu mutations. I expect many to get it, get sick develop immunity and thats it.
But here we have actual numbers of infected, demographics, and deaths. Covid19 has a death rate an order of magnitude higher than typical flu, as spelled out in the factual data. So yes, many will get it, get sick, and develop immunity. Probably 90% or more. But the rest are at risk and that's many millions of people.

No offense but do you even look at the data, this is not like the flu. I explained this to my GF some days ago, yes its gonna kill mainly old ppl (though dont forget for each person dead, there will be another 5-7 that also suffer major problems) and yes its true +80% will have mild symptoms.
Swine/bird flu/sars/ebola etc I had zero worries about but could see this is much more serious, why? cause its far more easily contagious

Not at all like influenza: this fake news helped the virus spreading in Italy. It's actually much lighter than influenza for someone and much harder for others (specially olders).

No offense but do you even look at the data, this is not like the flu. I explained this to my GF some days ago, yes its gonna kill mainly old ppl (though dont forget for each person dead, there will be another 5-7 that also suffer major problems) and yes its true +80% will have mild symptoms.
Swine/bird flu/sars/ebola etc I had zero worries about but could see this is much more serious, why? cause its far more easily contagious

Is there any data on how contagious this thing actually is? Just wondering because Japan is up there in terms of amount of infections but there isn't a whole lot of testing going on. Basically they won't test unless you had a fever for at least 4 days (2 for older people I think). With the cruise ship, the infections, people still moving around packed together on public transport with the millions, if this thing was that contagious, shouldn't there be a lot more infections by now?

Maybe Abe is trying to keep things as low key as possible to have half a chance of keeping the Olympics. Or maybe he's trying to get rid of all the old people.

Back