Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many suspect Sony is silent on PS5 because they are protecting their upcoming PS4 first Party games that will release this year before the PS5. They want those sales on PS4 now instead of users waiting until PS5 to buy them.
That shouldn't matter with BC.

I think. >_>

Announce dynamic 4K support so it gets boosted on next gen if you haven't sold your physical copy.

where are the legit gaming journalists doing the actual sleuthing work on next gen? Are they complicit in trying to prevent leaks for Sony?

I'm not sure what folks are expecting though. Company PR controls when journalists can visit. It's possible that given how off-the-shelf the parts are relative to PC, only Top Men™ would Need-to-Know™ the very low-level information to do their job at the engine-level - folks not likely to talk, especially given past incidents. Any other information would be nebulous & far ranging.

After decades of leaks, I'd hope the companies are learning how to plug em. Nintendo's probably on a level of paranoia that most aren't (and something something culture)

No one certainly wants to "talk" over the internet with a "papertrail" vs a "talking to myself aloud" situation either, so that's potentially another hurdle depending on the journalist & contact locations. :p

Last edited:
I have low expectations of insiders as well, but where are the legit gaming journalists doing the actual sleuthing work on next gen? Are they complicit in trying to prevent leaks for Sony?

Realistically, at this point any company working on a game that's going to launch on XSX and PS5 has to be fully into development, not just a small tech team experimenting. There have got to be 1000's of people involved with next-gen games already, not one legit leak? (at least on the PS5 side)? We're going to get gameplay at E3 and that's about 3 months out.

Granted MS has stayed ahead of leaks nicely by releasing information in a timely fashion. But the windowscentral guys have been able to gather information from their sources even before that. What's weird is that there's nothing on the Sony side.
I am 99% sure WindowsCentral guys (+ Tom Warren and Brad Sams), have been fed with tidbits straight from MS, as they are their official journalists. Along with legit data, they have been given false one as well, but there is 0 insiders with MS info as good as theirs.

Take Lockhart for example.

Who leaked it? Windows Central, back in 18'. Who jumped on rumor? Everyone else.

Who said it was cancelled? Brad Sams. Who jumped on rumor? Everyone else, including some top rated insiders.

Who said it was on again? Brad Sams. Who jumped on rumor? Everyone else, including some top rated insiders.

Realistically, knowing chip design and, I know I repeat myself - Github leak, Lockhart chip was not even in testing when it was "cancelled", and neither was Arden. So, I am 99% that was false rumor spread by MS journalists without knowing it was false. It was never cancelled and Matt (from Era) saying specs for Anaconda are likely lower then what they would have been with Lockhart now make 0 sense.

Take TF for example.

Who leaked it? Windows Central, a week before TGA (and before it, on Era, Tom Warren with 4/12 post in November). Who jumped on rumor? Everyone else

Who said MS is late and not communicating to developers at all compared to Sony? Jason. Who said MS is coming hot and late, like last time, but its all gonna be good in the end? Matt.

Who said there is a reason for that and MS wants to surprise Sony? Tom Warren. Does 12TF RDNA2 come as surprise? Sure as shit it does, to me. I expect Sony to be a bit surprised as well.

So I am putting little belief in insiders for these very reasons. Only ones correct on MS, and more importantly - the ones that broke all the stories, are MS connected journalists. Everyone else has been wrong.

I understand they are working at actual studios, but O'dium gave really no impression of actually knowing the specs, and IMO he steers way to much into areas he should have no business with (thermal levels, aim ranges of final console, hardware fixes etc).

BG seems to be playing a game of revealing on NeoGAF currently and he will give daily hints, but to me that again sounds very unprofessional and completely atypical to a person that says they signed NDA.

Even the "best" ones, like Klee, gave certain info which raises eyebrows such as :
  • friend showing him secret next gen video game from his private USB
  • exact spec spreadsheet for both consoles
  • reasons for Sony delaying 2019
  • bingo on old "64x1475MHz" rumor
  • "XSX is above 12TF" post when now we know its pretty much all but confirmed to be exact 12TF (56*1675MHz)
  • "I am verified but my info is not" before ban
In general, I have low expectations from insiders. Last time around only legit insider was sveetwar who shared apartment with AMD engineer that told him about specs, and even he had iffy info.

• And why not this is a friend he knows maybe since two decades or more. Did he give the name of the game, the publisher and studios creating it no.

• Seen target spec sheet is not something crazy. Jeuvideo.com journalist have seen target spec of Xbox in February 2019.

• 1675 Mhz is the memory speed, we don't know he exact number of TFlps of XSX.

• Again he said bingo two times and the two times it was for fun because maths of the poster was exact. If you want to see all era next gen thread since Klee talk about the game.
  • The last one is true since the beginning ZhugeEX said the identity of Kleegamefan is verified but not the information he have.

Last edited:
So this BGs insider is using this gif to describe how he envision's Sony's situation:oops:
giphy.gif

I..I just can't.
He further explained that the gif contains more than just the word PS5 on Lilith's cape, it has the TF count. The original trailer for D4 is 9:21 min long so if YOU are seeing it in an inverse angle you would flip the 9:21 so it becomes 12:9.
And Mark Cerny obviously has made a pact with the devil to achieve that :).
I did some PS here just to illustrate.
2c3juw.jpg

untitledz9kbl.jpg

So let's just assume Sony's silence is mainly a non reactionary response due to their pre scheduled plan, but what are they waiting for tho? They don't have to announce the price yet, not even the full specs among other things. All they gotta do is presenting something similar to the PS4 reveal. What's their grand scheme that's so devastating and critical that they are withholding everything right now?
Look the big Japanese news site:
https://www.nhk.or.jp/sp/
All news are about coronavirus, nothing else.

As a Japanese company Sony likely becomes very conservative to announce new products for this holiday.

• And why not this is a friend he knows maybe since two decades or more. Did he give the name of the game, the publisher and studios creating it no.
  • Seen target spec sheet is not something crazy. Jeuvideo.com journalist have seen target spec of Xbox in February 2019.
  • 1675 Mhz is the memory speed, we don't know he exact number of TFlps of XSX.
  • Again he said bingo two times and the two times it was for fun because maths of the poster was exact. If you want to see all era next gen thread since Klee talk about the game.
  • The last one is true since the beginning ZhugeEX, the identity of Kleegamefan is verified but not the information he have.

• Because putting highly secret, unannounced, next gen game project on your personal USB and showing it around is something that very, very few people who work in big companies would do, let alone leads. In addition to this, it would be INCREDIBLY easy to trace who did it. Basically, you put company data that should not be public on your USB, you show it to your friend who spills the beans for months on most well known gaming forum in the world and what is the aftermath? He continues to post about specs and saying he got specs sheet as well. Eyebrow raising for sure.
  • It is. JeuxVideo posts alot of stuff, and what they posted was confirmation of leak that was put on Reddit before them. Again, they didn't break the story (like most of these highly regarded insiders), they confirmed from their own source. Its very different then actually getting source to share you spec sheet and you breaking it, that makes you almost an accomplice.
  • Its not, its GFXCLK, check the data.
  • What does it even mean? He said bingo that "math checks out" on Anaconda rumor that has been making rounds for almost a year (and which hgqmm semi confirmed btw). That rumor made no sense on Navi, and some posters understood this and asked "Hey, this doesn't exactly work". After that, he backtracked. If I said "20CU * 64 * 2 * 4.7GHz = 12TF" would he say "math checks out, bingo!" and if yes, what the hell would even be a point? In the end, he also said XSX is above 12TF, but it does point to being exactly 12TF, like MS did with XBX, therefore something doesn't fit.
  • And that tells you everything really. I know he is verified, but apparently we had many verified people being very much wrong.
He further explained that the gif contains more than just the word PS5 on Lilith's cape, it has the TF count. The original trailer for D4 is 9:21 min long so if YOU are seeing it in an inverse angle you would flip the 9:21 so it becomes 12:9.
2c3juw.jpg

untitledz9kbl.jpg
He also said nobody has been correct thus far.

Who said it was cancelled? Brad Sams. Who jumped on rumor? Everyone else, including some top rated insiders.

Who said it was on again? Brad Sams. Who jumped on rumor? Everyone else, including some top rated insiders.

IMO, this one is a bad example. It's unlikely it was ever cancelled. If it exists, it's far more likely that MS decided to focus on the more powerful console first for a few reasons.
  • It's a halo product and as such will generate more press and more consumer interest than a lower spec'd machine that is likely to sell in greater numbers.
    • Lots of real world examples of this with PC GPUs being a prime example.
  • Launch for an anticipated product generally means it'll be sold out regardless of price (up to a point).
While possible that it was cancelled instead of just being put on lower priority, I find that exceedingly unlikely. Especially when you take how Phil Spencer has answered any question that attempts to pin down Microsoft as only having one next gen Xbox in development.

He has rigorously avoided actually saying there is only one console in development no matter how much he's been pressed. He's used wording at times that mentions they are focused on one machine for launch, but would never go so far as to state that there is going to be only one next gen. Xbox. If Lockhart exists then it's unlikely it was ever cancelled.

Regards,
SB

• Because putting highly secret, unannounced, next gen game project on your personal USB and showing it around is something that very, very few people who work in big companies would do, let alone leads. In addition to this, it would be INCREDIBLY easy to trace who did it. Basically, you put company data that should not be public on your USB, you show it to your friend who spills the beans for months on most well known gaming forum in the world and what is the aftermath? He continues to post about specs and saying he got specs sheet as well. Eyebrow raising for sure.
  • It is. JeuxVideo posts alot of stuff, and what they posted was confirmation of leak that was put on Reddit before them. Again, they didn't break the story (like most of these highly regarded insiders), they confirmed from their own source. Its very different then actually getting source to share you spec sheet and you breaking it, that makes you almost an accomplice.
  • Its not, its GFXCLK, check the data.
  • What does it even mean? He said bingo that "math checks out" on Anaconda rumor that has been making rounds for almost a year (and which hgqmm semi confirmed btw). That rumor made no sense on Navi, and some posters understood this and asked "Hey, this doesn't exactly work". After that, he backtracked. If I said "20CU * 64 * 2 * 4.7GHz = 12TF" would he say "math checks out, bingo!" and if yes, what the hell would even be a point? In the end, he also said XSX is above 12TF, but it does point to being exactly 12TF, like MS did with XBX, therefore something doesn't fit.
  • And that tells you everything really. I know he is verified, but apparently we had many verified people being very much wrong.

First we don't know what project is the game and maybe he lied for example he told he was in California for seeing his friend maybe it was somewhere else. Same things with some of he details he gave. He was journalist... This is something I would do if I have a souce. Saying he have seen spec sheet is not the end of the world he did not give the spec sheet to anyone.

You can come back from a self ban and he promises to come back just before the PS5 reveal, if he don't come back I suppose he lied. Mecha meister the maker of other nex gen OP, just come back from a self ban.

EDIT: AND 1675 Mhz give 12.0064 Tflops just a little above 12 Tflops.;) Because often when we heard 12 Tflops, this is 11.9 Tflops.

Last edited:
IMO, this one is a bad example. It's unlikely it was ever cancelled. If it exists, it's far more likely that MS decided to focus on the more powerful console first for a few reasons.
  • It's a halo product and as such will generate more press and more consumer interest than a lower spec'd machine that is likely to sell in greater numbers.
    • Lots of real world examples of this with PC GPUs being a prime example.
  • Launch for an anticipated product generally means it'll be sold out regardless of price (up to a point).
While possible that it was cancelled instead of just being put on lower priority, I find that exceedingly unlikely. Especially when you take how Phil Spencer has answered any question that attempts to pin down Microsoft as only having one next gen Xbox in development.

He has rigorously avoided actually saying there is only one console in development no matter how much he's been pressed. He's used wording at times that mentions they are focused on one machine for launch, but would never go so far as to state that there is going to be only one next gen. Xbox. If Lockhart exists then it's unlikely it was ever cancelled.

Regards,
SB
I know, but the point of example was the fact that MS guys were first to break every story/rumor about next gen Xbox, and alot of insiders just rode their coattails.

So people like Matt and Klee repeating how Lockhart was cancelled (Matt actually saying its old news and has been known), but only doing that after Windows guys reported it (and reported it wrong) is an issue. There likely never was cancellation and rumor was most likely wrong, yet everyone repeated it after the leak as it was known fact.

First we don't know what project is the game and maybe he lied for example he told he was in California for seeing his friend maybe it was somewhere else. Same things with some of he details he gave. He was journalist... This is something I would do if I have a souce. Saying he have seen spec sheet is not the end of the world he did not give the spec sheet to anyone.

You can come back from a self ban and he promises to come back just before the PS5 reveal, if he don't come back I suppose he lied. Mecha meister the maker of other nex gen OP, just come back from a self ban.

EDIT: AND 1675 Mhz give 12.0064 Tflops just a little above 12 Tflops.;) Because often when we heard 12 Tflops, this is 11.9 Tflops.
Yea, and XBX is above 6TF going by that calculation ;)

He was journalist 20a years ago, but lets wait and see. My biggest grip with insiders, and that includes Matt, is that they have not broken a single story. They rode coattails for entire of last year, so lets see if they got it right. I am agnostic until Sony comes out and says the specs (or dev kit doc leaks).

2c3juw.jpg

untitledz9kbl.jpg
hmm.
Just so I'm playing along here. I think you flipped it the wrong way.

The cape would have to come down properly as opposed to showing it to the viewer flipped.
So if it came down properly, you'd actually flip on the vertical plane and
PS5
would become
b 2 2
or something close to that

Now someone could buy one of those PS4 games with full confidence their games will work on PS5. So who are they hurting by talking about PS5 now?

Sony's financials ... difference between consumers paying full price for the games now or waiting months and buying game for discounted rates with PS5. *shrug*

I have low expectations of insiders as well, but where are the legit gaming journalists doing the actual sleuthing work on next gen? Are they complicit in trying to prevent leaks for Sony?

Realistically, at this point any company working on a game that's going to launch on XSX and PS5 has to be fully into development, not just a small tech team experimenting. There have got to be 1000's of people involved with next-gen games already, not one legit leak? (at least on the PS5 side)? We're going to get gameplay at E3 and that's about 3 months out.

Granted MS has stayed ahead of leaks nicely by releasing information in a timely fashion. But the windowscentral guys have been able to gather information from their sources even before that. What's weird is that there's nothing on the Sony side.
There is Github on the Sony site.

Not that he must have correct info anyway.

Last edited:
I don’t understand this logic. Sony was promoting the hell out of PS4 before and up to the launch of The Last of Us on PS3 and it did gangbusters.

Now someone could buy one of those PS4 games with full confidence their games will work on PS5. So who are they hurting by talking about PS5 now? The few users who don’t own a PS4 and will instead decide to wait for a PS5 rather than buy a new PS4 to play now?

They’ll buy the games but they probably won’t buy a PS4 if they don’t have one.

Sony needs all the cash it can get to pay for those loss making PS5’s after all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back